Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgyo View Post
    Went to Fry's today looking for something to power the TouchStone I got for my office (I <3 Radio Shack!) I bought the "Belkin Chargin Kit for iPod" that comes with a wall adapter, cigarette lighter adapter and USB to iPod charging cable for $20. With great difficulty through the plastic box I could read from the AC adapter that its output was 1A so I was pretty sure it would work. It does work after cable mod (shorting the green and white wires as discussed elsewhere.) Here's everything it says on the AC adapter . . .
    The Seidio Micro USB travel charger that pre central sells for $19.95 does the job. It doesn't require any modification, has 1.25 amps output and fits the physical constraints of my situation. Based on previous feedback, the micro USB plug must have been modified since those comments, because it now works out of the box.
  2.    #202  
    It's funny I was looking at this thread last night when I was looking for a power adapter for the $25 Touchstone I picked up from Amazon.

I got the Palm branded power adapter for 7 bucks.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    It's funny I was looking at this thread last night when I was looking for a power adapter for the $25 Touchstone I picked up from Amazon.

I got the Palm branded power adapter for 7 bucks.
    But if you remember my original post_ the OEM Palm charger doesn't fit the space I am using. I need a charger that is much shallower.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    How well is the treo 800w charger working for people? I picked one up last week and it seems to work at first but after 20 minutes on the charger my phone had lost 10% of it's charge. After another 20 minutes it starts the charging/not charging dance. The same touchstone on the Palm A/C charger works great.

I was going to try the Seidio high output charger next: http://shop.crackberry.com/seidio-mi...GoogleProducts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    AT&T branded micro usb car charger works with the TS. i believe its 750mA and has a swivel cover where an additional USB device can plug in too. I'll confirm mA later.

EDIT: No volt or mA indications on the box or the device. Seeing how it charges a bit slower than when its connected to the wall directly, I'm guessing current is around my previous assumption.
    Last edited by rburna; 05/21/2010 at 12:15 PM.
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by spineinky View Post
    How well is the treo 800w charger working for people? I picked one up last week and it seems to work at first but after 20 minutes on the charger my phone had lost 10% of it's charge. After another 20 minutes it starts the charging/not charging dance. The same touchstone on the Palm A/C charger works great.

I was going to try the Seidio high output charger next: http://shop.crackberry.com/seidio-mi...GoogleProducts
    Unfortunately the on/off dance can happen because of the charger, or it can also be the car itself. The electrical systems in cars are not all equal.

I got the Motorola charger to work fine in my Lexus, but another member was unsuccessful in getting it to work without the on/off dance. Though it seems the majority of people that have tried the Motorola charger have had success. I believe the Seido car charger also has been working for a lot of people.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Well I just read thru 11 pages of posts. It's a very nice collection of experiences.

Now that I am at the end it is not clear to me what Car Charger to try next. Initially I tried the modified PSP charger with pins 2 and 3 shorted. The device claims to put out 1.2A, but I get the charge ON/OFF dance. (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ved-car-3.html)

My next experiment is to try the Palm charger. If that does not work than I am willing to try an inverter.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    How about using a car charger for a GPS. The chargers for Tom Tom are rated at 1.5 and 2A. They have a Mini USB plug. I can get an adapter to convert it to Micro USB.

Links below for the products that I am thinking about trying.

One of these TTCHG-2: 4.5' Car Charger for TomTom GO 530 630 730 930 - eBay (item 330415331624 end time Jun-16-10 11:57:48 PDT)

Plus one of these MICRO MALE TO MINI FEMALE USB CONVERTER ADAPTER CABLE - eBay (item 270583153779 end time May-26-10 09:18:48 PDT)

It should certainly provide enough juice. Is there a risk of too much current?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Well I just read thru 11 pages of posts. It's a very nice collection of experiences.

Now that I am at the end it is not clear to me what Car Charger to try next. Initially I tried the modified PSP charger with pins 2 and 3 shorted. The device claims to put out 1.2A, but I get the charge ON/OFF dance. (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ved-car-3.html)

My next experiment is to try the Palm charger. If that does not work than I am willing to try an inverter.
    Consider trying something better than a cigarette lighter adapter. After reading THIS THREAD, I installed a Mean Well SD-15A-5 DC/DC converter to power my TS. Its about the size of two packs of cards so dead simple to find a hiding place under your dash and will regulate the current to the TS better than a cigarette lighter adapter can. My phone has never gone through the ON/OFF dance in my car.
  10.    #210  
    Consider trying something better than a cigarette lighter adapter. After reading THIS THREAD, I installed a Mean Well SD-15A-5 DC/DC converter to power my TS. Its about the size of two packs of cards so dead simple to find a hiding place under your dash and will regulate the current to the TS better than a cigarette lighter adapter can. My phone has never gone through the ON/OFF dance in my car.
    What about extreme heat? Like say your car was sitting in the sun all day with the windows up. My TS will dance until it cools down.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    What about extreme heat? Like say your car was sitting in the sun all day with the windows up. My TS will dance until it cools down.
    My car does sit in the sun when I'm at work. So far outside temps have only reached the mid-90s in warm and lovely HouTX. I don't know what the temps inside the car have reached but well into triple digits I'm sure. The couple of times I've gotten into my car and immediately put the phone on the TS, it has started charging without any problem. The temp warning patch; however, starts singing in a couple of minutes. If I launch Govnah, I can watch the numbers climbing. For me, this is the limiting factor of my car mounted TS. Even if my car is parked in the shade, heat becomes an issue in under 30 min. I would strongly encourage everyone with a car mounted TS to install the temp warning patch.
    I am willing to get the DC-DC converter if it solves my problem.
    This set up supplies 2A of current to the TS. Based on a quick test drive I had no bouncing while running Music and Nav! I will be taking a longer drive this afternoon which will be the true test.
    After 2 one hour drives running Navigation, Music player and Pandora I can report NO charging bounce messages using the 2A car charger that I got from Ebay. The charger is for a standalone GPS and has a Micro-USB connector which I adapted to a Mini-USB.

One the first trip where my Pre was already topped off the charge remained at 100%. On my return trip the battery was down to 35% since I accidentally left on the GPS. By the time I got home the battery was charged to 57%.

I had to shave down the adapter cable that goes from female Mini-USB to male micro-USB so that it would fit in the TS. I ended up having the Micro-USB connector split apart due to the filing. I was able to sandwich the pieces together and slide them into the TS.

Folks - this set up is 100% reliable in my 2007 Civic using the main cigarette lighter jack.
    Last edited by swieder; 05/31/2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    How about using a car charger for a GPS. The chargers for Tom Tom are rated at 1.5 and 2A. They have a Mini USB plug. I can get an adapter to convert it to Micro USB.

Links below for the products that I am thinking about trying.

One of these TTCHG-2: 4.5' Car Charger for TomTom GO 530 630 730 930 - eBay (item 330415331624 end time Jun-16-10 11:57:48 PDT)

Plus one of these MICRO MALE TO MINI FEMALE USB CONVERTER ADAPTER CABLE - eBay (item 270583153779 end time May-26-10 09:18:48 PDT)

It should certainly provide enough juice. Is there a risk of too much current?
    I can see why that adapter would fall apart on you while filing it down. it's a plastic covering instead of solid fill like most others. I have thoughts about this type of adapter in taking the covering off, plug it in, and fill the charge port of the TS with liquid electrical tape, effectively making a permanent conversion from micro to mini USB.
    I am kind of perplexed that my car isn't charging with the 12v adapter that palm uses + the touchstone. It works just fine in the center console but the front console (that i used to hide the cable) might as well not be charging at all (though the phone says it's charging).

Here's a picture: twitpic dot com/2m9dqz

Should I be looking at a higher amperage solution or a different way to plug the thing in?
    Thought I'd revive this thread since I found what claims to be a 1500ma CLA:

MERITLINE.COM - USB Car Charger 1500mA for High Power Consumption Smart Phone,GPS,iPhone,PSP... - Meritline.com

I've already ordered one. I'll probably have to short pins, and the 1500ma rating is probably an outright lie, but I'll let you know. If it doesn't work, I'll probably be going with an inverter/wall charger solution. Don't like the inelegance of going DC to AC to DC, but if that's what it takes...

EDIT: I did have to short the pins, but it still did not work. Don't bother with this one. 1500ma rating is an outright lie. Probably 500ma like most.
    Last edited by Syndil; 11/16/2010 at 07:32 AM.
  18.    #218  
    I have had ZERO problems with the Motorola charger now for over a year. It works perfect. I only have issues when the car gets really hot, but now that I moved it to a vent mount I just turn on the air conditioner and it cools down in a couple minutes.

Remember that it does vary car to car. I have a 2002 Lexus IS300 and don't have any issues with the charging dance.
    I know, but some people do have problems with the Motorola charger. So rather than buy one and hope it works in my car, I'm just going to cut to the chase and go with the inverter if the 1500ma thingy doesn't work.
    Didn't see it on the list but the Verizon car charger with additional USB port on top does NOT work either.

Part #MICRDUALVPC

Last edited by TheVTech; 10/06/2010 at 08:34 PM.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast