Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The Sedio Hi-Output wall charger does work after you shave the connector. The Sedio Hi-Output car charger does not work.

Quite frankly I don't recommend either of them because they both look like cheap crap and will probably fall apart in short order.
    The Sedio Hi-Output wall charger NOT working here...after shaving the connector I get the on/off on/off that others are getting!
    Bell 1000ma usb car charger confirmed as NOT WORKING, even a shorting pins , it will charge the pre but will not power the touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by scmastertech View Post
    Bell 1000ma usb car charger confirmed as NOT WORKING, even a shorting pins , it will charge the pre but will not power the touchstone.
    I can confirm that as well. The Bell no name charger looks a lot like a motorola one.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have just bought the Motorola SPN5400A (or P513, is the same).
    On my Renault Scenic it does the on/off dance with my TS.

Now I don't know if it is better to buy the palm car charger or buy a car inverter.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have the Palm car charger 3453WW as well. I'm getting the on/off charging problem too.
    Quote Originally Posted by marke5860 View Post
    I have the Palm car charger 3453WW as well. I'm getting the on/off charging problem too.
    It might be the Touchstone back on the Pre. The metal contacts may be loose or not contacting the battery contacts correctly. You should be able to fix it.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have more info on the 3453WW charger with the TS. I noticed that it worked fine with the ignition on and the car in park. But whenever I hit my brakes, I heard the telltale "ding-dong". I haven't measured it yet, but there must be a small drop in voltage that the car charger isn't regulating too well. I may try one of the other chargers listed in this thread. I'll also try the 3453WW charger in my wife's car to see if that makes a difference.

Mark
  8.    #188  
    For those having on/off problems with a charger listed on the "Working" list, please post your car make and model along with the year. if you haven't already try it in another car.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    My car is a 2001 Lexus IS300.

I tried it in our 2009 Toyota Highlander and my parents 2005 Chrysler minivan without any problems. Must be something specific to my car. I'll try checking with a voltmeter to see if I can see anything.
    I receive a Motorola H17 Bluetooth earpiece for Christmas. It comes with a MicroUSB power adapter that I was hoping would work with the Touchstone.

The adapter fits in the Touchstone, but does the On/OFF dance when connected. This makes sense since the adapter only outputs 550mA.

The adapter does work, however, when directly connected to the Pre.
    Did a search and didn't find the HTC Touch HD charger listed but it worked perfectly for me with the original Palm USB cable going between it and the TS. If you've not seen one they're basically the same idea as the Palm charger i.e. you get a plug which takes a separate USB cable.
    Just shaved down the Verizon universal wall charger ($29.99) and the phone is charging on the touchstone. It's the one that says "fits most micro usb charging ports" and is manufactured by Xentris Wireless!
    i lied, its actually DISCHARGING my phone somehow!
    Didn't see this on the list so I thought I would add it.

I bought a second dock without realising that it didn't work with just any charger, so after trying heaps that are available in Australia, i found that the Nokia AC-10 charger works perfectly. Doesn't need to be shaved or anything.

Don't know if that is available in the US though...
    Variation on a theme. I need an AC/USB charger that will accept the USB cable at a right angle to the AC plug. I have a situation with very confined space, off of which I want to run the Touchstone. I have several USB chargers that fit the confined space, but none will power the T/S. Would appreciate knowing if anyone has success with a T/S using one of these third party chargers.
    sooo... anyone know if this will charge the Touchstone? Output seems low.

on Ebay for $1.00

# Input: 110-250V 50/60Hz
    # Output: 5V, 300mA
    # Works with most devices that can be charged with the USB Port
    # Intelligent IC chip recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit
    # Compatible With Palm PRE, Treo 800W, PRO 850
    # LED charging indication
    # Light weight for travel
    Quote Originally Posted by vchewjr View Post
    sooo... anyone know if this will charge the Touchstone? Output seems low.

on Ebay for $1.00

# Input: 110-250V 50/60Hz
    # Output: 5V, 300mA
    # Works with most devices that can be charged with the USB Port
    # Intelligent IC chip recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit
    # Compatible With Palm PRE, Treo 800W, PRO 850
    # LED charging indication
    # Light weight for travel
    Unfortunately the Touchstone requires the charger to produce 1000 mA output, and 300 mA will not cut it.

Any other suggestions?
  18. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I got a DC-DC regulator on ebay for about $12.50, it takes any input from 5-15V DC and outputs variable voltage at the same range, at I think 2 or 3 amps. I wired it straight into my fuse panel and wired a salvaged USB plug on the output, and the TS works great with it and it's totally hidden. Unfortunately the seller does not have the same item listed currently.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I got a DC-DC regulator on ebay for about $12.50, it takes any input from 5-15V DC and outputs variable voltage at the same range, at I think 2 or 3 amps. I wired it straight into my fuse panel and wired a salvaged USB plug on the output, and the TS works great with it and it's totally hidden. Unfortunately the seller does not have the same item listed currently.
    Thanks. But I was looking for something off the shelf.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Went to Fry's today looking for something to power the TouchStone I got for my office (I <3 Radio Shack!) I bought the "Belkin Chargin Kit for iPod" that comes with a wall adapter, cigarette lighter adapter and USB to iPod charging cable for $20. With great difficulty through the plastic box I could read from the AC adapter that its output was 1A so I was pretty sure it would work. It does work after cable mod (shorting the green and white wires as discussed elsewhere.) Here's everything it says on the AC adapter:

BELKIN
    Power Adapter
    model # F8Z121

Input: 100-240V
    AC 0.5A 50-60Hz
    Output: DC 5V / 1A
    V1401

I'm not sure what V1401 is. Below the bar code on the box is "V1501" and above the bar code is F8Z152. Anyway, the AC adapter has a silver face that says, "BELKIN", a blue LED that's quite bright, and the rest is white. One USB port on the bottom and the prongs fold up. I have another Belkin AC adapter of similar design but all silver and two USB ports (since it does not output 1A, I've never tried it.) Except for the bright blue light, I like this design much better than the Palm charger that sticks a lot farther from the wall than makes sense.

While the set I bought comes with a car charger, forget about using it for a TS. Its output is only 500mA.

By the way, I saw a lot of USB AC adapters that output 1A so as long as you are willing to spend 5 min. hacking a cable, there are a lot of choices.

Hope this helps.