1.    #1  
    1st post. Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it in an hour of searching.
    My Pre is pooping out after about 5 hours of moderate use. Since I work 18 hour days there is no way I'm gonna even think about juggling 3 Pre batteries for my daily needs.
    If I buy a touchstone, can it recharge a spare battery while I'm using my Pre?From what I read the Pre and/or the touchstone is magnetic. If the spare doesn't hold to the stone by itself, would it still charge if I taped it to the touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by PREcocious View Post
    1st post. Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it in an hour of searching.
    My Pre is pooping out after about 5 hours of moderate use. Since I work 18 hour days there is no way I'm gonna even think about juggling 3 Pre batteries for my daily needs.
    If I buy a touchstone, can it recharge a spare battery while I'm using my Pre?From what I read the Pre and/or the touchstone is magnetic. If the spare doesn't hold to the stone by itself, would it still charge if I taped it to the touchstone?
    A resounding no. Look at the pre with the back off, and inside the the Touchstone-specific battery cover. You'll see the Touchstone-specific cover has the coil hidden in it, and then has metal contacts. Then looking at the phone itself while the cover is off, you'll see a matching set of metal contacts that connect to the Touchstone-specific cover. There is then circuitry within the phone, between those metal contacts and the battery itself. Without the coil inside the battery cover AND the circuitry within the phone itself, the battery won't charge on the Touchstone.

Also, you should check out some other threads on here about how to improve your battery life. You should be getting more than 5 hours with about any level of usage, do some more reading and I bet you can get that number improved quite a bit.
    Not by itself. But if you had (built) induction mechanism and hooked up to the battery, it certainly can (that is without the phone.) Although it involves very simple EM fundamental, it would require some tinkering to build such device. It would be much easier to buy a battery charger. Palm site sells charger that just charges battery.
    Also, given time, I expect whole line of cheap Touchstones (and related accessories) to come out of Chinese sweat shops for under $10... You may wanna wait a little..
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halmo20 View Post
    ...to come out of Chinese sweat shops for under $10... You may wanna wait a little..
    altho i am of the background... i wouldnt trust em!

id pay quality for quality. that way at least if something goes wrong, they cant blame me for using some el cheapo thingamabobber.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREcocious View Post
    The battery cannot be charged directly. It requires the inductive coil provided by the special backplate and the charging ciruitry in the Pre

Down the track, it would be quite feasible for somebody to produce a battery carrier equipped with inductive coil and charging circuit so that you could put a spare battery in it and place it on the Touchstone to charge the battery while the Pre was not on it.