Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    So I got a headset for my Pre. It's the kind that you plug into the headphone jack and then the ear-piece is on the end of the cord. Then a few inches under the ear-piece, a mic is on the cord. Know what I'm talking about? It's NOT Bluetooth.

Ok, I got one of those, had to buy the 3.5mm adapter (headset had a 2.5mm insert), but finally got it all working. Now I have an annoying problem.

The mic that is on the Pre is still active. Meaning, the person can hear me talking through the headset mic, but every time the Pre's mic rubs around in my pocket, they hear that static, too (making me think they can hear everything else that mic picks up). This is why I bought the headset - cause of the stupid mic on the Pre making static (making it impossible to hold the Pre with my shoulder and cheek)!

I thought about getting the holder that has the belt clip, but those make the keypad hard to slide out (I tried one on my phone, and I didn't like them). Plus, they don't cover the mic, so if my shirt or sweater hits the Pre's mic, I'm back to square one.

Does it do this with Bluetooth headsets? I even tried turning Bluetooth on just in case, and no luck.

This is not to mention that the on/off button that comes on the headset next to the headset mic is useless with the Pre. You have to answer the phone on the screen. Which I guess I would do anyways to check caller ID first.

But anyways...any ideas about how to get the Pre's mic to turn off when I'm using the headset's mic?

Thanks!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Anyone?

Can anyone at least tell me if this is a problem with a Bluetooth headset? Cause then I can get one of those and just hope the battery doesn't drain.
    I am having the identical issue with the factory headset they provide! The mic can be heard through the earpiece! It shouldn't be doing this!

Again, I am talking about the the factory earbudset with mic that ship swith the Palm Pre. I have it pushed into the 3.5mm slot as far as it will go and the mic is hot through the earbuds. The people on the other line can hear me, but it is VERY annoying!

H E L P!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Thank god someone else is having this problem!

What do you have to do to get the Pre's mic to turn off so that you are only using the one on the headset?
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Ok, I was told my problem was that my headset was not a Palm headset. I went to the store and tried out the headset that you get with the Pre, and I had no problems. I then tried out a bluetooth headset, and not problems again. So I bought the bluetooth headset.

ronpaul - I think your headset is faulty and the Pre isn't recognizing it. I bet if you go to Sprint, they'll swap it out for you.
    This is crazy . . .

I have tried multiple wired headsets and they all do it. Especially the one that ships WITH THE PALM PRE! The mic is hot in your earphones. It shouldn't be.

The problem I have is I like a headset that has a boom that is about an inch from your mouth. However, it is EXTRA noisy with the Palm Pre.

SO . . . I called Palm.

They told me it was supposed to do that. I explained that this is the first time in the my 9 year history of owning headsets for my cell phone that I could hear my voice being picked up through the mic in my earphones. The ***** rep went and tested it and he verified. I told him that this is VERY annoying. He didn't agree one way or another.

So me being smarter than the tech, I asked him if it did this when a bluetooth headset was connected. He went and tried it and it does NOT pick up your voice and you're not heard through your earpiece.

He offered to give me a $65 towards the purchase of a bluetooth headest from anywhere I wanted as long as I fax them the receipt.

Still not a solution. I HATE bluetooth headsets. I prefer wired headsets.

Thanks for making a POS Palm!

DID Sprint give you a free Bluetooth headset?

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    The manager used a $25 off coupon for the bluetooth I ended up getting.

Sounds like the store you went to is retarded. The mic on the phone should NOT be active when you are using a headset. Go to another store, seriously.
    Just got my pre. Love it. Mic is hot like you guys said. Is ther no solution for this???