Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    Bestbuy mobile will do it for $7 or so.
    Anyone know if this is all Best Buys?
    If the Invisible Shield for the Pre is anything like the one for our iPods, they'll look great -if applied correctly.

I'll admit I've screwed up my first 2 installs. Usually was due to oily hands, too little solution and bad alignment.

If you take your time, follow all the tips closely (there are tons nowadays. Back in the "early" days all you had was a pdf file) you'll do ok. Their phone cst service is top notch; they offered to send replacement skins on those 2 first installs.

FTR, I also ordered a different brand, the Best Screen Ever (or something like that) which was way cheaper and it claims is just as good as the "more expensive ones". I doubt it's as good as IS, who actually hold a patent on the shield's tech). I want to install it first and try it out. Since they don't claim any warranty, if it sucks, I'm out only $7 or $8 bucks.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    My brother called today to say he had bought an invisible shield after seeing the sales goon go after it with a set of keys to prove it wouldn't be scratched.

On my treo 600 and 755p had a terrible time with screen protectors. I wasn't able to get them installed without bubbles or dust or something underneath. Wile I was glad they were protecting the screen, I was upset that they weren't perfect installs.

When he told me that they would install it for $8.00 I figured it would be money well spent. Turns out, it was. The guy spent well over an hour with two or three different invisible shields to get the perfect install. It's WAY better than I would have been able to do on my own.

It looked good when I left the store eight hours ago. No bubbles and the alignment was perfect. I was warned not to put it in my pocket or anything for a day or so until it fully cured.

It didn't feel as smooth as the naked screen and it had a bit of an "orange peel" appearance when viewed at an angle. I figured that was part of the deal.

It's been eight hours now and it seems to have really tightened up. It's smooth and shiny and the orange peel effect has gone away. My wife commented that by looking at it she couldn't tell it had anything on it.

$8.00 for an experienced installer who is committed to getting it right. Worth every penny. :-)
    Obscura
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Are you sure they're dead pixels and just not some dust or something that got under the shield?

I'm being serious too.. this once happen with a screen protector I had for an iPaq. Thought I messed up the screen and caused dead pixels, but the screen was fine when I took it off.
    Ya I took the shield off deffinatelly dead pixels and also on some spots around the screen where the black area is that light is coming through now. Also I sprayed the screen protector and not the screen.
    Another cheaper alternative

Says washable and reusable, but doesn't mention if they go on dry...
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I installed mine last night. One small piece of fuzz under the shield that I didn't notice last night and two different horizontal lines that look like a knife was taken to the shield. The lines almost look like two lines on the screen are screwed up. I will give it a day or two but this thing makes my phone look like crap. I am convinced my expectations were too high. But there are parts that look good enough and I do like the feel of it and I prefer the response of the touch screen with it on. Nothing will look as good as the plain screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
    My brother called today to say he had bought an invisible shield after seeing the sales goon go after it with a set of keys to prove it wouldn't be scratched.

On my treo 600 and 755p had a terrible time with screen protectors. I wasn't able to get them installed without bubbles or dust or something underneath. Wile I was glad they were protecting the screen, I was upset that they weren't perfect installs.

When he told me that they would install it for $8.00 I figured it would be money well spent. Turns out, it was. The guy spent well over an hour with two or three different invisible shields to get the perfect install. It's WAY better than I would have been able to do on my own.

It looked good when I left the store eight hours ago. No bubbles and the alignment was perfect. I was warned not to put it in my pocket or anything for a day or so until it fully cured.

It didn't feel as smooth as the naked screen and it had a bit of an "orange peel" appearance when viewed at an angle. I figured that was part of the deal.

It's been eight hours now and it seems to have really tightened up. It's smooth and shiny and the orange peel effect has gone away. My wife commented that by looking at it she couldn't tell it had anything on it.

$8.00 for an experienced installer who is committed to getting it right. Worth every penny. :-)
    Nice post and all, but you know, if you could share who "they" were that installed your shield... Just sayin'.

And this "orange peel" effect everyone mentions, back when IS was released, every reviewer was calling it "bump mapping" effect.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    some other tips, from experience...

DON'T USE THEIR SPRAY, instead mix about 1/4 teaspoon of mild liquid soap with about 10 oz. water to make the application solution. Baby shampoo or liquid dish soap work best.

DON'T USE THEIR SQUEEGEE, instead use a credit card. Get the credit card wet too, it will make it easier to slide, glide, and ride.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Ya I took the shield off deffinatelly dead pixels and also on some spots around the screen where the black area is that light is coming through now.
    Guess what man.. I gave up and took the shield off yesterday, powered the Pre on today and... about 4 dead pixels.
    I know for sure they weren't there before installing 'cause I checked the screen on the exact same site (designed to check for bad pixels) that I checked it before applying.

To all I would say:
    DO NOT APPLY THESE THINGS TO THE SCREEN!
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Good to know I wasn't the only one who messed that up

Here's some pics... (sorry, no macro lens)
    How's the coverage on the corners? I've seen BSE, BodyGuardz, and Ghost Skins, but wondering as to how the invisibleSHIELD coverage compares. From what I know, IS gives little to no margins for error.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    I just got one of these today and I still have numerous bubbles around the sides and a few on the screen. will these go away with time or should I try reinstalling it? Can it be reinstalled or do i need a new one?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Good tips for putting on any liquid-based skin based on past experience. My first one to my Samsung Instinct a year ago was a disaster. Since then I did the Instinct over, and applied to two Blackberry Curves, as well as my Pre -- each time I do it, it gets easier and less stressful knowing what to expect:

1. PATIENCE -- You're not going to get the sides down right away until they dry.. It is not necessary for the skin to be wet to adhere -- and many people make the mistake of thinking that is the case. Instead, the liquid solution activates the tackiness that makes the skin stick. The liquid solution also allows you to slide it into the exact location easily. If you inist on trying to push down the sides before they are ready, you will just get frustrated and think its not working. After sliding the skin into place and squeegeeing (I use a clean credit card) the flat easy surface, use a hair dryer on low to accelerate the drying on the sides before trying to push them into place.

2. I do not care for IS's spray bottle method, instead I prefer to use about a dime-sized drop of baby shampoo mixed in with some warm water in a shallow dish. After you've done a few of these, you know what the liquid should feel like between your fingers -- a little slippery. I prefer dipping the entire skin into the solution and shaking off as much excess as you can before applying it to the phone.

3. CLEANLINESS -- As many of you have seen, dust is a pain in the neck when doing these. Run the shower in your bathroom and let it get a little steamy in there, and apply the skin in there. It will keep the dust down so it doesnt land on your phone after you clean it with microfiber. Also as important -- wash your hands -- the oils in your skin will make your skin look like a mess when youre done. Finally, make sure your fingers are plenty wet from the solution before handling the skin -- otherwise you'll get fingerprints, and if they are on the adhesive side, they are a pain to try and remove.

4. Back to the sides -- dont try pushing them into place with the tips of your fingers. Ive found that just doesnt work. Instead, gently roll the whole side into the palm of your hand and hold it there with medium pressure for about 30 seconds. Keep working your way around and remember it may not stick at first. Use the hair dryer and wait a few more minutes and revisit it. Remember, the liquid is NOT the adhesive, so you dont have to get it done before it dries, its the opposite actually.

5. Little bubbles -- these will usually disappear once the liquid under the skin evaporates. Don't go crazy trying to squeegee them out because you will usually end up just marring the surface of the skin.
    When you use a hair dryer, do you use it hot or on a cool setting?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    When you use a hair dryer, do you use it hot or on a cool setting?
    Low heat is all thats necessary.. Also, I didnt mention above -- but make sure if you use the shallow dish method that you keep track of the adhesive side.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    When reading other forums, I have seen a lot a people using the cool setting, I think it's because it might make the skin easier to stretch which isnt a good thing if your are trying to keep it within its original state.
    Rick, very nice summary; if anyone serious enough to try and get this right, there are tons of posts (in this forum alone) that gives out similar tips (yours, however, of using a shallow dish for the solution is genius. I guess you could still use the spray bottle to moisten the fingers. Also, the steamy bathroom is a nice idea too).
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOctober View Post
    I ended up pealing mine off and giving up, will look for another solution. $30 at Best Buy down the tubes. Even after spending time trying to adjust it, it looked awful. Either I'm just that bad at this, or this one is more difficult then the past shields I've installed on other phones.
    They are warrantied/guaranteed!!
    Just contact zagg and they will send you another one. You do have to pay shipping thought!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    i never put any screen /body protectors on my phones - i dont see the point i have never had any screen scratch on body scratch...the only time there was damage is when i dropped my G1 on concrete and a little corner dented in..
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    (yours, however, of using a shallow dish for the solution is genius. I guess you could still use the spray bottle to moisten the fingers. Also, the steamy bathroom is a nice idea too).
    I dont take credit for any of these -- the suggestions for the shallow dish and the steamy bathroom are both suggestions in the application instructions for Best Skins Ever (which are the same material as the IS).

I bought Invisible Shield once -- it was my first skin.. I messed it up and kicked myself for messing it up after paying $25. Since then, I've always used BSE skins because they are much cheaper (The Pre full kit was $4.99)
    I had what I thought to be a successful installation of the Zagg skin but about 5 minutes into the drying process, I noticed a bubble. I got paranoid and made the tough decision to tear the now almost completely dried thing off my Pre and start all over. I sprayed a fair amount of spray onto the adhesive side of the skin and, thinking I sprayed too much, lightly dabbed the adhesive side with a paper towel. I think I made the right decision as the second pass application produced no noticeable bubbles, but now I am thinking that some of the felt from the paper towel (fuzz?) got into the adhesive side and will show up when it dries. I really took my time with it, following many of RickNY's suggestions. Challenging, but kind of fun I must say. Upon both passes the holes seemed to line up right away. Now, I am praying that my liberal use of Zagg spray isn't going to come back and bite me in the A--, as it did here
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Guess what man.. I gave up and took the shield off yesterday, powered the Pre on today and... about 4 dead pixels.
    I know for sure they weren't there before installing 'cause I checked the screen on the exact same site (designed to check for bad pixels) that I checked it before applying.
    BTW I only installed the front as I am planning on purchasing the Touchstone with the matte back at a future date. To be continued...
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast