Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Okay got transferred from the initial rep to another rep that told me about the airave and how it worked to only have her transfer me to the airave dept. and the hold line just said my wait time will be greater than 20 minutes....no one's offered it for free yet we'll see. I swear this is my last go round with Sprint. I think I'll be switching to AT&T play with the iPhone for 6 months and if they get the pre in January maybe I'll make the switch to the Pre hopefully by then they'll have it figured out....STILL ON HOLD timer has me clocked at 25 minutes total time now!
    40 minutes and still no one!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I live in an area with marginal coverage for Sprint & Verizon.. AT&T and TMobile customers in my home get no service.. I left Verizon for Sprint last July, and about 5 months ago, I emailed dan@sprint.com and complained about the service in my home. A person from retentions contacted me and said they would send an engineer out to my home to survey the area and see if it was possible to consider installing a new tower in my area. Skeptical, I received a phone call the following day on my cell phone while I was at work, from the Sprint equivalent of the "can you hear me now?" guy. They really did send an engineer.. He called from outside my building at my apartment complex and said he just got done taking signal levels from around the complex, and agreed that the signal levels in the area were low. Unfortunately, the area was not a candidate for a new tower, so he suggested an Airave to retentions. They got back in touch with me, and said they would send one out for free, and waive the $4.99 monthly fee for 2 years. Impatient, I asked if I could pick it up at a Sprint store instead -- they promptly called my nearest store to verify stock, and told me I could pick it up there. I had the Airave up and running after I got home from work.

My experience with Sprint to date has been absolutely stellar. Customer service has been exceptional -- almost to a point where I wonder if they will be in business two years from now because I cant see how they can make any money giving stuff away. From what I understand, the decision to send a free Airave is weighed against a few things -- and that the plan you are on weighs heavily. I had read somewhere that they will do it for free for folks with $69 and higher individual plans and $99 and higher shared minute plans -- I do not know if thats true, but I have been on the 69.99 Everything Data plan since I started with them.

Rick
    40 minutes and still no one!
    Why not try just hanging up and calling right back? Maybe you'll have better luck...
    Scharles, I mentioned that others got an airave. I would hang up and call back to get someone different. I talked to a lady named Tressa but I am sure they have hundreds of operators. Good Luck
    my wife just called sprint and got the airave fo free!!! and a $60 credit to cover the 1st year of service. I am pretty amped that people will be able to hear me when I call from my house.
    never had more then 1 to 2 bars in my house even with the treo pda phones so called the number and explained what I had (no signal in bedroom...or 1, then 1 all other locations in house save for a flash of 5 bars for ten seconds once in a great while. sprint was good: they listened then said they would send the airwave and 'wave' all cost. surprised that they said this:
    '...if the call starts on the airwave and you then get in your car and hang up an hour later then the minutes are free for the entire call...'.

even if turns out not to be ture I will be happy getting more bars in my house when on the pre.
    thanks to the OP for the thread.
    and to think this weekend will be the big 'figure out how to move my data over from my old 755p'...what fun that will be
    Update, after being on hold for 50minutes we got disconnected bcuz of my crappy cordless battery, but I digress....I called back furious, but hit pay dirt. I got a rep named Joshua, and I swear he must have been the best Sprint rep I've gotten in about 10 years, anyway I explained my reception issue and mentioned that I heard of others getting the airave for free and he was like yes sir I can totally do that for you and waived the $4.99/month fee for two years and said he was overnighting it and hopefully I'd get it by Saturday. He was super nice and wanted to get my honest feedback on how I felt about the phone so I laid it on him! He said hey I understand. So as the subject suggested I did get an airave in under 5 minutes it just took two calls and one smart person to figure it out.
    Mine came in today. I plugged it in as instructed, waited the hour, and it never finished initializing. Hooked up the GPS antenna, put it 2 feet away next to the window, checked 30 minutes later, and all the lights were blue (that's good, they start red).

I get 5 bars in the room where it's at. 3 bars in my room at the other side of the house (kitchen including the fridge, and 1 bathroom between me and the living room). The best I've ever gotten is 1 bar, and usually 0, sometimes in Roaming mode (more R's than 1's).

Yes, I'm pleased.
    do you get 3g with the airwave?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I love the airave that showed up at my house today. Its nice to have full bars of service again. I even have full service in my basement which was a complete DEAD ZONE for every sprint phone that I ave every owned..

My way of getting one was different then what others have posted. I called and talked to tech support. I told him that my pre was only getting 1-2 vars in my house and dropping calls. I then asked how we can remedy this b/c my old Centros had no problems with reception in my home. He verified my prl was up to date and suggested the airave. He told me that it was $100 with a $5monthly fee. I told him that I didnt think I should have to pay to make my phones work like they should..he wrote some notes on my account and transferred me to another rep..VIOLA!!! I have a FREE Airave and no service fee per month. I didn't get the free overnight shipping like others but 2 day shiping is not bad
    Quote Originally Posted by scharlesjr View Post
    Update, after being on hold for 50minutes we got disconnected bcuz of my crappy cordless battery, but I digress....I called back furious, but hit pay dirt. I got a rep named Joshua, and I swear he must have been the best Sprint rep I've gotten in about 10 years, anyway I explained my reception issue and mentioned that I heard of others getting the airave for free and he was like yes sir I can totally do that for you and waived the $4.99/month fee for two years and said he was overnighting it and hopefully I'd get it by Saturday. He was super nice and wanted to get my honest feedback on how I felt about the phone so I laid it on him! He said hey I understand. So as the subject suggested I did get an airave in under 5 minutes it just took two calls and one smart person to figure it out.
    So Josh was pretty good but not completely truthful...saturday and still no Airave got the shipping notice from Sprint and I probably won't get it until Tuesday since it was shipped standard 3-5 days vs the overnight I was promised....I'll give it whirl for a week or so and come June 30 everything is going back to the sprint store going back to my Treo 755p till August and when my wife's sprint contract ends iPhone 3gs here I come!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I called today trying to get an airave. was on the phone for a while, and he said that our drop rate and signal was unacceptable. I thought that he was about to offer an airave, but instead he told me to put our phones to 'sprint only' and he said he would send a technician out to check the towers... he said to give it 72 hours, and if the signal doesn't improve, to call back.

Honestly, I don't care if I don't get an airave, but if i can start getting 2-3 bars, and make calls with no drops, and stop having calls go straight to voicemail, I will be happy.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I have one coming in the mail for free with 1 year of free service...
    Got my free airrave last night, hooked it up and it was running fine in about a half hour i guess.

Works pretty good so far but a few interesting things ive found:

-My pre is not showing the connection to the Airave until you place the call or the call comes in. Until then it is showing the regular signal bars and jumps from evdo to 1rx etc. Once i place a call or one comes in then it switches to the Airave signal.

-Perhaps a related issue, I have wifi at home and use it for data. Airave is playing very nicely with this but, for the heck of it, I turned off wifi during a call and started having connection problems, don't think I was on the Airave connection anymore. When making calls with wifi off sometimes it hooked up to Airave and a very few times not. May be that when the pre is accesing data for "cloud" type stuff and you place a call or receive one its not hooking up to the Airave. It also seemed to be more of a problem (with wifi turned off) when i had an EV connection then when I didn't. Anyway moot point for me really since I will be using wifi when at home anyway but if others are having a problem you might want to experiment along these lines
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I called today trying to get an airave. was on the phone for a while, and he said that our drop rate and signal was unacceptable. I thought that he was about to offer an airave, but instead he told me to put our phones to 'sprint only' and he said he would send a technician out to check the towers... he said to give it 72 hours, and if the signal doesn't improve, to call back.

Honestly, I don't care if I don't get an airave, but if i can start getting 2-3 bars, and make calls with no drops, and stop having calls go straight to voicemail, I will be happy.
    Any update on your signal, any better or worse? Did any technician come out to your house/area?

I have the airave and it's worked good but was told today that they couldn't hear me talking, not sure what that's about...
  17. Eko
    Update since i started this thread.

I have full service at my house now thanks to the airave, it works amazing. I'm so glad everyone go their service issues resolved with the airave. Now I just hope with the Mojo SDK we the Devs can start using it and make some cool apps.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    thx
    I just signed up with Spring a week ago and got home to find I had 0-1 bars with it bouncing between roaming and not roaming. (My t-mobile is 5 bars solid)

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Sprint trying to get a free airave. I talked to 3 different people. I was told 3 different stories about why I couldn't have it for free: "you have to pay for it", "it is not available in your area", "it is not available free to new Sprint customers, only existing customers with signal problems."

I was told my only recourse was to cancel my service. My wife's Samsung would "search" most of the time and I canceled hers. They did not try to keep me as a customer and did not offer me an airave.

This morning I tried to call customer service from my home to port my t-mobile number to my pre. I was ready to pay the $200 to t-mobile to cancel early on my contract. My call to Sprint got dropped with a "call faded" message.

I think I'm changing my mind about staying with Sprint. I'm not sure it is worth the fight to try to keep Sprint. I think I'm going to have to cancel the Pre and give it back.

Too bad, I love the Pre.
    After repeated calls, delays, and inaccurate information, I reached someone who said she'd send an Airave, for free. It should arrive within a week or so. Fingers crossed.

If I could have a decent signal in my home - even roaming - I might not sweat this as much, but even roaming gives me weak, intermittent signals.

The Treo's definitely got better reception than this but I love my Pre, so I'd really rather not switch.

Quote Originally Posted by scharlesjr View Post
    So Josh was pretty good but not completely truthful...saturday and still no Airave got the shipping notice from Sprint and I probably won't get it until Tuesday since it was shipped standard 3-5 days vs the overnight I was promised....I'll give it whirl for a week or so and come June 30 everything is going back to the sprint store going back to my Treo 755p till August and when my wife's sprint contract ends iPhone 3gs here I come!
    I didn't read your previous posts (besides glancing over the one you quoted) but I noticed that you didn't say you'd switch to the iPhone if the Airave didn't work. Your post sounds like you're gonna switch (and perhaps have switched at this point) no matter what. If so, how come?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.