Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    It uses your internet and electricity(more cost).
    Heh, you are kidding right? You realize they gave you a free EVDO router (do we have to return it after the contract's over?) AND w/ 2 years of free service?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    The sad thing is how much the airave is needed. Coming from att, I can't believe how awful sprint is. I knew the lack of low frequency spectrum was a problem, but the real world impact is pretty amaxing. My wife an I went to the movies tonight and before the previews started, she texted the sitter from her ihone and checked her email, but my pre was useless - no service at all.

A pre on att would be so much better.
    I can't say enough how different my experience with Sprint has been than yours. Totally polar opposites...

It's different for everyone and depends on where you live. BTW - Sprint is doing a retention test right now with AIRAVES... get them while they're hot.

And just to clarify a few things, the AIRAVE does not put off an EVDO signal. Your data defaults to the tower. The AIRAVE only puts off a 1X signal.
    i have tried this twice now, both times I havent even brought up the device and they have both told me "we have this device, but its not free...". Then when i tell them I am not paying for a device to make my phone work where other phones work, they tell me "well you are within your 30 days, feel free to cancel."

this is absolute garbage, i am not calling with an attitude or anything, just very mind blowing that they are basically telling me SOrry cancel if youd like!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I got one on my first attempt. Really needed it too because I kept dropping calls while in my home office. I was having to take business calls in the dining room!

Thanks for the tip!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Heh, you are kidding right? You realize they gave you a free EVDO router (do we have to return it after the contract's over?) AND w/ 2 years of free service?
    First of all , I pay a monthly fee for service. I bought the phone. What now? I have to pay more money to get the signal to the phone? You saying i should be grateful that sprint sent me an airave for free even though I'm not getting their signal to the phone i paid big money for?

The airave is basically nothing but a wireless MagicJack(VOIP), it cost sprint nothing but they want to charge you a monthly fee for their bad signal spots. Don't get me wrong, they do have good signal, just not where I live in this 4 block radius.
    Last edited by nitussi; 06/14/2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Call 1800-639-6111 and press bunch of 00s till you get to a rep, ask them to transfer you to cancellation department. I'm glad some are doing it. I can't wait to get mine on Tuesday, I had to use my gf's Centro all day today in my house. The phone is sick tho!!
    I called the number, got to cancellations, and told them that I have no bars in my house or in my office on the Pre but do have signal with a Rant and two Razr's. They had me do ##DEBUG# to get tower and signal strength on each.

The Pre signal is in fact about half of any of the other phones. Sprint is sending me an Airave for home and another the office at $99 each with $99 credits for each already showing on my account. They added the $4.95 each for Airave service for each and also have already set up the matching credits now showing in my account. Airaves due to arrive in two days.

Here is the Sprint official information on Airave.

It now connects up to 5 phones simultaneously, by the way.

THANK YOU!

- Craig
    Effective this morning, the best retentions can do on an Airwave is $50 plus the monthly fee. Missed it by one day!
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Quote Originally Posted by nitussi View Post
    First of all , I pay a monthly fee for service. I bought the phone. What now? I have to pay more money to get the signal to the phone? You saying i should be grateful that sprint sent me an airave for free even though I'm not getting their signal to the phone i paid big money for?

The airave is basically nothing but a wireless MagicJack(VOIP), it cost sprint nothing but they want to charge you a monthly fee for their bad signal spots. Don't get me wrong, they do have good signal, just not where I live in this 4 block radius.
    Not that I disagree with all of what you said, but what makes you think it "cost sprint nothing"? Parts? Server? VPN connection? Techs to support the device/server/connections? You guys that talk about things "not costing" a business seem a bit ... clueless...
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I called last week, asked for retentions. Told the guy I wasn't getting a good signal at home and had heard about people getting free Airave units sent out. The guy immediately knew what I was talking about and said "yeah, I can do that." He said a charge would show up on my bill, but I would also see a credit for the same amount. He also waived the monthly fee, but did not say for how long. The unit was shipped 2-day air for free.

-Vince
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not that I disagree with all of what you said, but what makes you think it "cost sprint nothing"? Parts? Server? VPN connection? Techs to support the device/server/connections? You guys that talk about things "not costing" a business seem a bit ... clueless...
    My guess is Sprint has done the math on this one and it probably makes them money. They'd rather give out a free airave unit and keep a customer, and keep them happy than lose them all together.

There's definitely a cost with the hardware itself, but I'm betting the monthly costs on their side are negligible. I'm guessing they have enough paying airave customers to offset the cost of the free ones, and still make money

-Vince
  11. enjoyingsilence
    my guess is they have excessive inventory of the Airave and are doing their best to dispose of it the best way possible - happy customers who need it. And use the results to determine demand for the product, and if they should update it's features to enabled EVDO usage via a future update via software or hardware release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Called Sprint, transferred to retention (cancellation Dept). Told them I want to cancel my Sprint Palm Pre line since I have terrible coverage in my house. I use the phone for business and I keep dropping business calls.

"No problem we can fix this, I'm going to ship you a Airaveat no cost, I'm going to waive the monthly cost, unit cost and overnight shipping cost."

The nice lady on the phone even asked me If I wanted to go to a local corporate Sprint store and pick it up there and she will credit it on my account. No need I'll have it Tuesday.

Thank you Sprint
    I had just received an Airave and a bill for $100 from Sprint. Based on your post plus another I saw here on the forum, I called Sprint and am receiving a credit for the $100!

Thanks for the money saving comment you posted.

GeneL
    i called retentions today and will be recieveing an airave and free monthly usage tomorrow or thursday. i have been with sprint and palm since 2004. im a little leary of exactly how "free" it will be. after reading through the airave FAQ's it seems like a lot of mumbo jumbo about this plan and that useage. i guess i will find out. has anyone that already hooked thiers up incurr any sort of activation charges or anythign weird like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by med8869 View Post
    i called retentions today and will be recieveing an airave and free monthly usage tomorrow or thursday. i have been with sprint and palm since 2004. im a little leary of exactly how "free" it will be. after reading through the airave FAQ's it seems like a lot of mumbo jumbo about this plan and that useage. i guess i will find out. has anyone that already hooked thiers up incurr any sort of activation charges or anythign weird like that?
    So far, we have received a credit on our latest bill for the monthly service and as I said previously, we're supposed to get a credit for the $100 charge on our next statement, as well.

FWIW, the Airave unit really works very well for us.

GeneL
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Dropped a call last night sitting in my recliner. I called retentions this morning and explained my situation. I have a free airave without a monthly charge on the way now. The rep was really courteous and accommodating. I did not threaten to cancel...just explained my situation.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Question: is the Airave the same thing as the MI FI thing they have on their website now? I don't think it is because everyone mentions that the airave must be tied to a specific location. The Mi FI is the same thing as an air card that you plug into a laptop and go anywhere, but you don't plug this one in. Are they the same thing? And, if not; would the MI FI help with the Palm Pre? I did call Sprint and talk about poor reception at my work, which is right across the street from the former Sprint world headquarters in Overland Park, KS. They did not offer me the Air Rave, but sent some kind of ROM update to my phone. It has helped quite a bit......
    Called 1-866-235-1185 and spoke very calmly and politely that my Pre was getting a poor signal at home. Much worse than my Treo. She offered the Airave for free and waived the monthly service charge as well. It will show on my bill but that they will turn around and credit me. Very smooth with no hassles. Thanked her for her great service and said I would give her positive feedback. Total call time less than 3 minutes.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I just called 866-235-1185 and told them about my lousy reception at home. I also mentioned I was speaking on my landline, which I was, due to the reception. She said let me see what I can do. Came back in several minutes and told me they would give me the Airave to try for 30 days and will waive the $4.99 fee for 12 months. She said if it works then just keep it.
    Great customer service Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    Question: is the Airave the same thing as the MI FI thing they have on their website now? I don't think it is because everyone mentions that the airave must be tied to a specific location. The Mi FI is the same thing as an air card that you plug into a laptop and go anywhere, but you don't plug this one in. Are they the same thing? And, if not; would the MI FI help with the Palm Pre? I did call Sprint and talk about poor reception at my work, which is right across the street from the former Sprint world headquarters in Overland Park, KS. They did not offer me the Air Rave, but sent some kind of ROM update to my phone. It has helped quite a bit......
    They are not. The mifi emits a wifi signal. The AIRAVE emits a CDMA signal that your phone picks up and then sends calls through the internet.
    I'm on with them and my rep is putting me through the hoops, I haven't even mentioned the airrave and she hasn't either on the call 6 minutes and no dice yet. And like everyone the difference in signal reception in my home compared to my 755p and my wife who still has the 755p is considerable, most the phone doesn't even ring and I end up with a v.mail message indicator and I'm like wow the phone hasn't even rung! We'll see what they figure out!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast