1.    #1  
    I'm loving everything about my new Pre *except* battery life, its even a tad worse than my iPhone. It's quite an adjustment coming from a blackberry that could go 4-5 days sometimes between charges. I feel like Palm should be handing Touchstone chargers out like candy for us early adopters to cut down on the battery pain.

If I had at least one Touchstone at home and one at the office, it would go a long way to smoothing over the experience, because right now I'm keeping this phone almost constantly cabled to something.

Trouble is they're $70 at the store, and engadget had a report that they cost about $5 to produce (plus R&D, but still). I can't stomach paying $140 for two touchstones.

Palm please drop the price for 6 months.
    except they cant keep phones nor, touchstones in stock so what exactly is the incentive?
  3.    #3  
    Maybe to put a tourniquet on the word of mouth about battery life that continues to spread like a virus? As in, long-term sales. Take the movie analogy, like Terminator Salvation - big opening weekend with Friday and Saturday shows sold out, then the following weekend the showings played to empty seats.

Being sold out right now doesn't matter longterm - hell, the Android G1's were sold out at first and that thing is god awful. I realize the stores have a lot of margin in accessories, but long-term is key if Palm wants to put a dent in Apple's market share.
    Last edited by odditory; 06/13/2009 at 01:58 AM.
    Just pay them. They need the money.
    If they want to refund me the $280+ I have spent on Palm accessories so far then I wont stop them! But the fact is battery life isnt bad enough to be considered defective so I dont see your request as justified.

This is a powerful phone, on a battery draining network (cdma) with a small battery. Take steps to deal like getting an extra battery or sufficient chargers or move on to something that doesnt force you to.
    buy 1 here @ precentral, only $50. Do all of the battery tips and be happy. Mine lasts all day if I don't make too many calls (2hrs or more usually). I keep cards closed, use wifi when in range and try not to play with it too much!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    buy 1 here @ precentral, only $50. Do all of the battery tips and be happy. Mine lasts all day if I don't make too many calls (2hrs or more usually). I keep cards closed, use wifi when in range and try not to play with it too much!
    That's a tough sell to those of us who bought the phone with the intention of using it. (I'm used to throwing my iPhone on the charger every 2-3 days or so!)

-n8
    I'm using the $100 rebate to get a 2nd touchstone. The 1st now sits in my office (comes home on the weekend) and the 2nd would stay with me.

Sadly, you'd need to spend good money on extra micro USB cable, since the TS doesn't come with one and ones from Monoprice.com and others don't really fit in the USB port on the TS.
  9. TC3
    I agree the Touchstone is expensive, but it works really well, especially considering how difficult the Micro USB door cover is to open. I bought 2 (work and home) and find that it largely eliminates my battery concerns.

I also learned from a rep at the Sprint store that having a google account configured automatically included Google Talk, which greatly diminished battery life(even with it set to manual sync and not used.) Once I deleted the Google Calender and GMail accounts (Don't need them now that EAS is working) my battery life improved greatly. Under moderate use (I average 2hours talk/day + lots of web/IM/email) - it easily last 18 hours - and if placed on the touchstone occasionally when at my desk - the battery is largely a non-issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    That's a tough sell to those of us who bought the phone with the intention of using it. (I'm used to throwing my iPhone on the charger every 2-3 days or so!)

-n8
    2 or 3 days?! I could never do that... Come to think about it, I don't think I've had a phone I could keep off the charger for more than a day in the past 2 years!

I'll give the Pre its due credit though. I'm not having nearly as many battery issues as everyone else and I got mine to last me the entire day off the charger with about 30% remaining at around midnight. Now if they could get it to run until like 10 or something in the morning, I'd be set.
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post

-n8
    Hmm, I find that hard to believe, unless all you use your iPhone is strictly voice calls, no data whatsoever. My iPhone never made it through a whole day of heavy use (tons of data, browsing, playing music and videos and calls through the day); I always had to plug it in to my car's charger.

I can say that using the Pre (actually more heavily used than the iPhone), it's battery does last a tad longer than the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Hmm, I find that hard to believe, unless all you use your iPhone is strictly voice calls, no data whatsoever. My iPhone never made it through a whole day of heavy use (tons of data, browsing, playing music and videos and calls through the day); I always had to plug it in to my car's charger.

I can say that using the Pre (actually more heavily used than the iPhone), it's battery does last a tad longer than the iPhone.
    I'd believe that. My friend always waited until his iPhone was on the verge of dying before charging. And he would use it throughout the day (calling, texting, iPod, web use, plus random stupid usage like "Oh I need to flip a coin, let me open my coin flipping app").
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post

Well to be fair, I do have a 2G iPhone with no GPS. But I use it tons, mostly with WIFI because Edge is just plain maddening!

-n8
    I know its YMMV, but the rep at my local sprint store gave me a free charging cable and wall adapter when I asked if they had the touchstone expansion kit.

Since they don't carry it, he gave me this, and the charging cable/wall adapter for 69.99.