Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why when I paired my Jaw Bone Prime with the Pre' it did not ask for the Pairing code? It just paired up and seem to work fine. Just wondering if that could be a BT security issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by zubco View Post
    Why when I paired my Jaw Bone Prime with the Pre' it did not ask for the Pairing code? It just paired up and seem to work fine. Just wondering if that could be a BT security issue?
    Same thing with a Jabra device I have - it paired up. I had the Jabra device sitting next to my new Pre and my old Treo - and they both popped up with the bluetooth device - but only the Treo asked for the "code". Weird.
    If you read the instructions (Jawbone 2) like I never do, it says "if" it asks for a code. I paired a cheap from Walmart with the phone and it didn't ask either. I assumed it was a FEATURE.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    My plantronics bt headset did the same thing. I would like if it had asked me for the pairing code just to be safe but this was easier so I wont complain
    I'm not trying to be a smart***, but as long as the headset isn't in pairing mode there should not be a security issue should there?
    The phone has an auto pair feature. The standard code for devices is just 0000 so the phone uses that code automatically first and if it happens not to match then it will ask you for the code. And I believe you can't change the pair code on a head set anyways to this is not really a security feature.
    My Jawbone II did the same thing. I thought it just made the process that much easier!
    Last edited by sewswedish; 06/27/2009 at 02:11 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    The phone has an auto pair feature. The standard code for devices is just 0000 so the phone uses that code automatically first and if it happens not to match then it will ask you for the code. And I believe you can't change the pair code on a head set anyways to this is not really a security feature.
    Thanks, that make sense.
    my concern is that there is not an option for "Hidden" which are on other treo's. I liked knowing that this prevented bluetooth hacking. Does anyone know if my phone is automatically hidden after pairing or is my phone open for this type of security risk without the option to hide?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmit View Post
    my concern is that there is not an option for "Hidden" which are on other treo's. I liked knowing that this prevented bluetooth hacking. Does anyone know if my phone is automatically hidden after pairing or is my phone open for this type of security risk without the option to hide?
    hacking bt is hard to do since the frequency is only good for 20-30 ft. unless you see someone following you around playing with a phone or laptop your probably safe.
    Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic, and so am I.
    Quote Originally Posted by gb_trout View Post
    hacking bt is hard to do since the frequency is only good for 20-30 ft. unless you see someone following you around playing with a phone or laptop your probably safe.
    I used to be able to view available bluetooth devices is my neighbor's apartment from mine.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I had noticed that it was showing (now visible) during the pairing process. Mind you I don't know for certain, but this seems like that part of the security is automatic.

I do like that it automates things for you (like pairing) but I wish there was a bit more feedback/confirmability.

BTW, I have the Jawbone 2 as well. $50 on woot was amazing!
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    I was under the impression that with bluetooth 2.1 security was a little more automated, but I may be way off on that.
    Same experience with the Prime, I dont think security is a problem as the bt still needs to be in pairing mode.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    If you can see all your neighbor's bluetooth devices it's because he's a doofus and left them all in pairing mode (left them all "discoverable.") You can't do this with the Jawbone so you're fine. Not to mention, the effective range on a Jawbone is more like 5 ft than 30.
    I think the OPs concern is although it's EASIER this way... does it leave his phone open to being accessed by someone unscrupulous to access it. MOST of us prefer to have feedback that we are permitting something to access our device. Since 0000 is standard that means almost anyone can get into it automatically and that is NOT what we want!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    If you can see all your neighbor's bluetooth devices it's because he's a doofus and left them all in pairing mode (left them all "discoverable.") You can't do this with the Jawbone so you're fine. Not to mention, the effective range on a Jawbone is more like 5 ft than 30.
    I have a Jawbone II and the range is about 5ft on it...can hear it pinging trying to find my phone when I put it down in the living room and head out on the deck. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by palmit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorfolkPRE View Post
    I think the OPs concern is although it's EASIER this way... does it leave his phone open to being accessed by someone unscrupulous to access it. MOST of us prefer to have feedback that we are permitting something to access our device. Since 0000 is standard that means almost anyone can get into it automatically and that is NOT what we want!
    The Pre is not discoverable unless the Bluetooth Preferences app is running. Don't keep it running and you're good to go.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Does anyone else find that their Jawbone Primce (or Jawbone II) disconnects randomly and then reconnects, sometimes even during a call?
    Lee Ladisky
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    Does anyone else find that their Jawbone Primce (or Jawbone II) disconnects randomly and then reconnects, sometimes even during a call?
    Yeeup! It makes a really loud beeping noise right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast