Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    Next question... will the body armor, or invisible shields, actually work with the touchstone? I have not heard of anyone with success (or failure) yet.
    Yes they will. The only reason the hard cases won't work is that they add enough thickness such that they put the coils inside of the back cover out of reach of the magnetic field produced by the Touchstone charger. Since body films only add a few millimeters of thickness, the Touchstone will still work.
    Has anyone else tried to use the Rocketfish hardshell case on a pre with a full body skin like the Bodyguardz or Ghostarmor? Are the "Screen only" versions from these companies the the same as the fulls minus the back and cover the whole front or just the screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Has anyone else tried to use the Rocketfish hardshell case on a pre with a full body skin like the Bodyguardz or Ghostarmor? Are the "Screen only" versions from these companies the the same as the fulls minus the back and cover the whole front or just the screen?
    I know for Bodyguardz, its the same as the full body minus the back cover. Not sure about Ghostarmor.
    Looks like I'll have to cut one then. So am I wasting time putting a full body cover on my pre and then trying to squeeze the Rocketfish hardshell over top of it? I really to protect the finish of the pre even with a hard case on it.
    Last edited by TechFirstAid; 06/13/2009 at 08:32 PM.
    I am still holding out hope that someone developes a case similar to the Rocketfish, but with a perfectly aligned hole in the back, that fits around the touchstone.

1. It would mean you get a hard case + get to use the touchstone.
    2. It would mean you do not need to use the magnet back cover (assuming the hole is done perfectly).
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I am still holding out hope that someone developes a case similar to the Rocketfish, but with a perfectly aligned hole in the back, that fits around the touchstone.

1. It would mean you get a hard case + get to use the touchstone.
    2. It would mean you do not need to use the magnet back cover (assuming the hole is done perfectly).
    You need to use the Touchstone back cover. It has coils in it that allow the Pre to charge via the Touchstone.
    To anyone with the rocketfish case. I just took mine off to exchange it at the sprint store and I noticed that around the edges of the top section of my pre, the clear coat is flaking off. It was already doing this around the power button so maybe it's just my phone that had an issue but I wonder if this case and the way it goes on made it worse. I debate putting it back on my replacement phone that I'm going in right now to get.
    Had mine on and off many times now and no issues. this case Rocks!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I found a website that did a review on the Rocketfish Snap on (Gun Metal). I hope this helps you guys Well.... I tried posting the link, but it wont let me since I dont have 10 posts or more

It's a really good review too
    I wonder what screen protector they are using in that review.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Thats the one Thank you webdave. I have like 2 more post and I'll be able to post my links that i find
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I am still holding out hope that someone developes a case similar to the Rocketfish, but with a perfectly aligned hole in the back, that fits around the touchstone
    That would have to be a pretty large hole. The Touchstone also covers part of the speaker hole too. I imagine it would probably have to be a snap in, snap out circular cover for the case.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    To anyone asking about the gesture area when it's covered by a plastic case, it can be used--it's a little more difficult though since you have to press harder with your finger and maintain the pressure while you swipe. Possible, but difficult, meaning it might not be worth it for most.

The dealbreaker with this type case for me, though, is that the top covers the proximity sensor on the front of the phone, which I've determined to be just to the right of the earhole when facing the phone. Even though my case is clear, the sensor must be reading the plastic, so answering a call is a bear. As soon as a call is connected--whether calling out or receiving--the screen goes dark while the call is in progress if the case is on the front of the Pre. If you remove the case while the call is in progress the display lights up again and is again usable (it's unusable while dark since the Pre thinks you're on a call with the device up to your face).

Just my $.02 (I will look to replace the case when I find one that's appropriate).
    Quote Originally Posted by kandle View Post
    To anyone asking about the gesture area when it's covered by a plastic case, it can be used--it's a little more difficult though since you have to press harder with your finger and maintain the pressure while you swipe. Possible, but difficult, meaning it might not be worth it for most.

The dealbreaker with this type case for me, though, is that the top covers the proximity sensor on the front of the phone, which I've determined to be just to the right of the earhole when facing the phone. Even though my case is clear, the sensor must be reading the plastic, so answering a call is a bear. As soon as a call is connected--whether calling out or receiving--the screen goes dark while the call is in progress if the case is on the front of the Pre. If you remove the case while the call is in progress the display lights up again and is again usable (it's unusable while dark since the Pre thinks you're on a call with the device up to your face).

Just my $.02 (I will look to replace the case when I find one that's appropriate).

had the same issue! purchased the hard case on release day just to have some sort of protection and thought the phone had some sort of a bug when my screen quit working during calls. removed the hard shell once I got my invisible shield in the mail and it turns out the issue must have been caused by the hard shell. it's a shame too because one of the best features of the hard shell to me (especially with my old 755) is how it makes the phone easier to slide in and out of my pocket.
    I don't have the touchstone charger, but here's a possible suggestion for those who want to try and use a rocketfish snap-on case with their touchstone:

Have you ever seen those "hole saws" used for drilling out doors for the doorknob, etc.? They come in multiple diameters. If you have a drill press, drill stand, or shopsmith, and a way of holding the case in a fixed position, you should be able to cut out a hole in the back of the case for the touchstone. (If you don't have access to a drill press, you can probably accomplish the same thing by marking the case with a felt pen and carefully "cutting to the line" with a dremel or similar rotary tool.) You "inventive" people now have a challenge! Let's hear from the case-modders how such a mod works on this case. Ditto for a mod that allows the proximity sensor to work! Everyone buying this case - even those without the touchstone - will need to do a proximity sensor mod to the case (as it exists now).

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    I wonder what screen protector they are using in that review.
    He is still using the screen cover that originally comes on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I don't have the touchstone charger, but here's a possible suggestion for those who want to try and use a rocketfish snap-on case with their touchstone:

Have you ever seen those "hole saws" used for drilling out doors for the doorknob, etc.? They come in multiple diameters. If you have a drill press, drill stand, or shopsmith, and a way of holding the case in a fixed position, you should be able to cut out a hole in the back of the case for the touchstone. (If you don't have access to a drill press, you can probably accomplish the same thing by marking the case with a felt pen and carefully "cutting to the line" with a dremel or similar rotary tool.) You "inventive" people now have a challenge! Let's hear from the case-modders how such a mod works on this case. Ditto for a mod that allows the proximity sensor to work! Everyone buying this case - even those without the touchstone - will need to do a proximity sensor mod to the case (as it exists now).

--
    Bob
    A Forstner bit would be the best choice for drilling the hole. I may just try that once I get a Touchstone. I am a cabinetmaker, so I have the drill press and forstner bits anyway.

What is the problem people are having with their proximity sensors while in the Rocketfish case? Mine works just fine, the screen goes black with the phone to my ear, and once I pull away to look at the screen, it comes back on. That is what is supposed to do, correct?
    I want one of these Rocketfish snap-on cases (back only) that COVERS the camera. Yes, thats right...I want to cover the magnificient 3.0 MP w/LED flash so that I wont have any issues getting into places that prohibit camera phones. That can include work, movie previews, certain meetings, etc. Too bad many of you have said its hard to remove, as I would remove mine for casual usage.

Maybe Seidio can make a backplate that is also Touchstone compatible. Its probably easier to remove the backplate than the snap-on cover. But then I would have two backplates that I'd have to carry around. Hmmm...I gotta put more thought into this!
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrfj View Post
    heck out the seidio innocase coming soon for pre
    very nice for the iphone so am sure this will be good for pre as well!
    Maybe its just the picture, but it looks to me like it only covers the sides (and maybe the back?). It looks like if you dropped it face down it would still beat the hell out of your Pre. Am I missing something?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast