Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cashen's post says part number BASI13PMX1S was shipped.
    That is the extended Centro battery part number. Please confirm that is the part number on the battery when it arrives. That would indicated those of us could use all our old centro batteries in the Pre. Which would save some money and save the landfill too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobracrazy View Post
    cashen's post says part number BASI13PMX1S was shipped.
    That is the extended Centro battery part number. Please confirm that is the part number on the battery when it arrives. That would indicated those of us could use all our old centro batteries in the Pre. Which would save some money and save the landfill too.
    The code above is for the Centro.

There are two different codes from Seidio.

Product Code: BASI13PMX1S is for use with Palm Treo Centro/800w

Product Code: BASI13PMX3 is for use with Palm Pre

They are two different batteries. Again, why people just don't call Seidio and ask what the difference is between batteries. If they can't answer the question you will need to compare the two to see if there are any differences. There might be a different voltage which could cause the battery to explode in your phone. 1350 is just mAh, not voltage. The numbers need to match for you to use.
    They are the same voltage (3.7V). Usually if there is some significant risk the specs/dimensions would make the battery in question not fit into the phone as well as it currently does. When was the last time you could fit the wrong battery into something this easily?

i did notice that BASI13PMX1S (centro) has a foil outer 'skin'.
    and BASI13PMX3 (Pre) appears to have a plastic 'skin"

So,

I took your advice and went directly to Tech support.
    I emailed Seido and asked for a technical explanation. I'm told to expect a reply in 2 business days.

Will post my findingings ASAP
    Last edited by cobracrazy; 06/12/2009 at 05:44 PM.
    Hello All!

Thank you for your interested in our products! For obvious reasons, we cannot detail every technical aspect of our development processes. But we were told that the Centro batteries is not fully compatible with the Pre and issues may occur under intensive use.

For more information, you could visit this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ork-pre-4.html
    I should be fine then. I never use my Pre "intensively"

Thank you for the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our products!

On the contrary, it does take a bit to figure out the battery and I can tell you first hand that IT IS NOT THE SAME! I was there with our Pre when it repeatedly power cycle itself on the Centro battery. My engineers told me that although it may power it up, the tweaks that Palm did just enough for us to develop a new battery for the Pre.

We are able to turn around to develop that fast because we have plenty of experience developing full line of Smartphone accessories. Fast is our middle name! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Hello All!

Thank you for your interested in our products! For obvious reasons, we cannot detail every technical aspect of our development processes. But we were told that the Centro batteries is not fully compatible with the Pre and issues may occur under intensive use.

You said earlier that you were there when your test Pre continually rebooted with a Centro battery installed?. Was that true? Or were you just "told" it wouldn't work?
    Last edited by bryanharig; 06/12/2009 at 11:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Hello All!

Check your private messages please.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Li-ion batteries have a "C" rating, which is the maximum current they can supply, or be charged at, without overheating. It is quite possible the Pre uses a higher C rated battery because the faster processor and multi-tasking can draw more power. If you overtax a battery for a short while it might not provide enough current and cause intermittent power problems, like Seido described. If you continue to draw too much current the battery might overheat and even get into a runaway condition....as in fire.

In most conditions, surfing the web, talking on the phone, the Centro battery would probably be fine. With some of the high power draw issues we are seeing with some Pre's, there might be serious issues with it.
    Will the Palm Pre battery gauge work with the 1350 extended battery? Or will the phone think it's only an 1100 battery?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    My Seidio 1350 mAh just arrived. The instructions say, "Prior to inserting the battery into your phone, please allow 8 hours for initial charge time."

How do I charge the battery before putting it in my phone? I didn't order a separate charger, don't remember reading that I needed to.

I sent Seidio an email asking about this, will let you know the response. Meanwhile, the battery will just sit on my desk.
    They do have a battery charger available on Seidio for the Pre. Maybe they expect you to buy that also.

Here is the link:

Multi Function Battery Charger
    Here is is a charger that is $10 cheaper. You should not have to purchase one though. I will most likely buy one of these so that I will have a spare charged at all times.

https://www.fommy.com/view-full-page...re&skuno=81510
    So how does the battery life compare with the larger battery? Does the battery make the Pre look physically different?
    Know what I bought for less than half the price? A set of 2 original Palm Centro batteries (works just fine w/ the Pre) and a wall cradle battery charger, from eBay.

Just my brief and buzzed 2 cents.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Know what I bought for less than half the price? A set of 2 original Palm Centro batteries (works just fine w/ the Pre) and a wall cradle battery charger, from eBay.

Just my brief and buzzed 2 cents.
    Yeah, well most of us like to believe that Palm engineering made an identical form-factor but incompatible battery to trick people like you into killing your phone so that Palm has to give you a new phone for free. =^P
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Li-ion batteries have a "C" rating, which is the maximum current they can supply, or be charged at, without overheating. It is quite possible the Pre uses a higher C rated battery because the faster processor and multi-tasking can draw more power. If you overtax a battery for a short while it might not provide enough current and cause intermittent power problems, like Seido described. If you continue to draw too much current the battery might overheat and even get into a runaway condition....as in fire.

In most conditions, surfing the web, talking on the phone, the Centro battery would probably be fine. With some of the high power draw issues we are seeing with some Pre's, there might be serious issues with it.
    So it is possible. Many things are possible, but no one has been able to prove that there is a difference by demonstrating there is a difference in the C number or any other real finite spec that we could verify. It seems like people are unwilling to do anything but make general unsourced doom and gloom statements without backing them up. In my experience, that is a sign of complete BS being slung by someone with another agenda. Like, I don't know... Selling new batteries?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Yeah, well most of us like to believe that Palm engineering made an identical form-factor but incompatible battery to trick people like you into killing your phone so that Palm has to give you a new phone for free. =^P
    Well, that'd be an awfully wrong assumption. I've been using my wife's Centro batteries (she has 3) for a while now, no ill effects.

But sure, carry on... Palm needs all the help they can get.
    Has anyone tested this battery yet. There is a coupon for Seidio that ends today with 10% off entire purchase. I don't want to buy it if it is a waist of money except to buy an extra battery. If it does last longer than it is worth it.

By the way the coupon code which was mentioned in an earlier post is dad10
    I saw a tidbit in the wiki about how there is a line in the WebOS code about the battery and at the end there is an "authentic" identifier. I wonder if this is what Seidio is talking about how the battery is just a little different.
    Also, since I have no idea about coding, I could be incredibly wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Well, that'd be an awfully wrong assumption. I've been using my wife's Centro batteries (she has 3) for a while now, no ill effects.

But sure, carry on... Palm needs all the help they can get.
    I'm not sure a week tops(if you got it at launch) constitutes "awhile now". Come back in about 6 months to a year and tell us how well it works.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast