1.    #1  
    if at work, can I just use the touchstone plugged into my computer, or am i required to buy a plug for the wall?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I could only get the USB to Micro-USB cable to fit properly into the Touchstone. After that, I could only get the Touchstone to charge if the USB end were plugged into a wall adapter, it did not seem to charge plugged into my PC.
    Correct. The USB port on your PC does not feed enough power to the Touchstone for it to function. It has to be plugged into an outlet.
  4.    #4  
    thanks...I'd consider that a design flaw, if I didn't like the phone so much...oh well...it just means I have to buy two wall outlet adapters...
    It's not really a flaw. It just requires a full 1A of power to do what it needs to do. The USB ports on your PC only offer up 500mA. It has to compensate for the induction method it uses to charge.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I've also discovered that the 1000mA is not always 1000mA:
    Generic USB charger head will charge through OEM Pre cable when plugged into side port , but WON'T power touchstone, even though it has the same output rating as the touchstone charger (1000mA )

Quote Originally Posted by DeusInnomen View Post
    It's not really a flaw. It just requires a full 1A of power to do what it needs to do. The USB ports on your PC only offer up 500mA. It has to compensate for the induction method it uses to charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by willyrick View Post
    I've also discovered that the 1000mA is not always 1000mA:
    Generic USB charger head will charge through OEM Pre cable when plugged into side port , but WON'T power touchstone, even though it has the same output rating as the touchstone charger (1000mA )
    Is the generic charger also 5V?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    yes 5v / 1000mA
    Then I've got nothin'.
    I ran into the same problem with the 'generic' adapter (5v/1.0 Amp) I have. I think it's the one from Cables to Go, but it came with my GPS combo back when I bought my Zire 72. Anyway, I ordered a couple of different generic ones and I'll report back if one of them hopefully works with my touchstone. I really hope so as I haven't found a way to buy a Palm AC adapter other than the special '2nd' touchstone kit or the international charger.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I was wondering if there might not be a "power good" signal being fed through the cable on one of the unused pins (rather like a comptuer PS) as opposed to just an issue of flow (i.e. 1000mA out is really 763 ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by mehmeh View Post
    thanks...I'd consider that a design flaw, if I didn't like the phone so much...oh well...it just means I have to buy two wall outlet adapters...
    Check Monoprice.com product ID#'s 3540 and 4874. Both are < $2. I have not tried them yet but have ordered a couple.
    Not sure what I did, but I just got the Pre to charge via the Touchstone while connected to my PC. It would work fine until I lifted the phone off and put it back on. It worked twice in a span of about 30 mins. The 2nd time I let it sit there for about an hour and it charged all the way to the top. My laptop was connected to an outlet in my kitchen. The wall socket has 2 outlets, and the microwave was connected to the outlet beside my laptop's plug. The only factor I can think of is I unplugged the micro and then plugged in a floor lamp, then unplugged that and plugged the micro back in. Then unplugged the micro and plugged an egg beater in, then unplugged that and plugged the micro back in. All while leaving my laptop plugged in. I had my phone sitting on the touchstone while the touchstone was attached to my laptops USB port, ( I forget why I had it set up like that, I think I was about to take the micro usb out of the TS and put it in the side of the Pre, but then I heard the charging notification sound.) I was so confused. Anyway, if people would like me to do some investigating into that specific outlet or if I can pinpoint what was causing this, let me know, otherwise I'll just let it go as a fluke occurrence.
    I seem to be the only one who has successfully gotten a charge through the Touchstone while connected to a PC, so I'm starting a thread which can be found here http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...62#post1757062 if anyone would like to chime in.