Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    After reading the thread regarding Car mounts for the touchstone and trying the touchstone in my own car and liking it, i decided to come up with another simple way of Mounting the Touchstone in my car which i would like to share with you guys and gals.

Whats needed:

A cup holder preferably the expanding type.

Touchstone

Car charger

1 mens Neck Tie carrier (brought mine from L&T closeout for $5)

The pictures below explain themselves (I think)

*Mine TS sticks well on the black leather container, but if i have any issues i can add a piece of velcro

Cables and charger/touchstone can be kept inside container when not in use or travelling

So what do you think? will seido copy this and make a million dollars?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sjjones; 06/11/2009 at 08:39 AM.
    Lol @ your last sentance. Great idea...the touchstone is perfect for the car. I bet accessory manufacturers are all scrambling to come up with a car touchstone solution. Whoever is first will have a nice payday...
    I love the way you can store the cables inside the tie carrier. Very clever, but I will wait for something from Proclips.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    That's pretty $#@!ing clever.
    Very nice!

I do not own a Pre yet and have not seen the touchstone in person. Do you have any concerns about the holding strength in a moving car?
    Quote Originally Posted by brett.g View Post
    Very nice!

I do not own a Pre yet and have not seen the touchstone in person. Do you have any concerns about the holding strength in a moving car?
    Another guys said he tested it (mounted to dashboard) and he felt very confident it was not going to come off if you have the magnets lined up correctly.

He said he drove around like a maniac over pot holes, speed bumps, etc. and it never came close to coming off. He also said it was on there strong enough to use the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    He said he drove around like a maniac over pot holes, speed bumps, etc. and it never came close to coming off. He also said it was on there strong enough to use the keyboard.
    That's good to hear!

I was initially worried about the Pre not having a proper dock, but this sounds pretty slick!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Another guys said he tested it (mounted to dashboard) and he felt very confident it was not going to come off if you have the magnets lined up correctly.

That was my setup.

But keep in mind that was with a strong ProClip mount thats specific to my vehicle, so the base mount is STRONG & pretty much a part of my dash. No movement with that thing whatsoever. Then of course I mounted the touchstone to the flat service face of the ProClip using the strongest industrial double-sided tape that I could find.

But this setup here however is very different & I can see a lot of potential for problems using it in the same manner as mine. For one the base isnt nearly as secure & it also seems top-heavy. I think even if the cup holder itself is adjustable & able to be tightened, youre still gonna get a lot of movement with this.
    The other difference from peestandingup's configuration is that this one has the touchstone mounted downwards, whereas psu's config had it mounted vertically in the plane of motion. When you brake hard, the pre would "push" against the touchstone and the mounting plate. In this config, the pre would be plid forward across the touchstone, likely with enough force to possibly break loose.

I think it's dicier, but more convienent. You have to judge the risk yourself.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    That was my setup.

But keep in mind that was with a strong ProClip mount thats specific to my vehicle, so the base mount is STRONG & pretty much a part of my dash. No movement with that thing whatsoever. Then of course I mounted the touchstone to the flat service face of the ProClip using the strongest industrial double-sided tape that I could find.

But this setup here however is very different & I can see a lot of potential for problems using it in the same manner as mine. For one the base isnt nearly as secure & it also seems top-heavy. I think even if the cup holder itself is adjustable & able to be tightened, youre still gonna get a lot of movement with this.
    Mine cost $5 and NO drilling, no prying of dash etc its easy for ANYONE to do!

Can you take yours to more then 1 car quickly?

lets face it yours is pretty ugly? Mine a nice leather look?

Do I have to look at the "palm logo" upside down when not use? I don't live in Australia?(down under)

It is not top heavy, please remember, cups etc usually sit down in a cup holder so they don't tip over!!!! This way shorter then any large MD or BK drink cup!!!

The tie Box i used is just an example, you could use a block of wood/plastic etc cut to the hgt of your cars cup holder still better then making it semi permanent.

Regarding movement there is movement in most cars, your dash mount moves the same as most consoles etc were cup holders are.

Mine is not pefect but will do me fine.
    Last edited by sjjones; 06/11/2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Damn dude, chill out. No one is dogging your setup, just saying its prob not the most stable thing ever.

BTW, mine didnt require any "drilling" or "prying" apart a dash. The Proclips snap in place between the wedges of the dash. So know what youre talking about please before you make wild assumptions. You can plainly see that in the pictures if you just looked.

Also, the Palm logo had to be upside down in my setup because if it wasnt, then the phone would be pointing downward at a sharp angle & would be useless to see when driving when its mounted. I think most would agree thats the most important thing rather than seeing a logo upside down. I know what Im doing, cuz & tested all this stuff before the install.

Also, cheaper doesnt always = better just so you know, but do whatever you like & what youre satisfied with. But why take the cheap way out on a mounting system for a $300 phone?? Seems kinda dumb, but whatever floats your boat kid.
    I stuck mine to the dash with doublesided velcro!

It's better than both of yours!!!

Muwahhahahahaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Mine cost $5 and NO drilling, no prying of dash etc its easy for ANYONE to do!

Can you take yours to more then 1 car quickly?

lets face it yours is pretty ugly? Mine a nice leather look?

Do I have to look at the "palm logo" upside down when not use? I don't live in Australia?(down under)

It is not top heavy, please remember, cups etc usually sit down in a cup holder so they don't tip over!!!! This way shorter then any large MD or BK drink cup!!!

The tie Box i used is just an example, you could use a block of wood/plastic etc cut to the hgt of your cars cup holder still better then making it semi permanent.

Regarding movement there is movement in most cars, your dash mount moves the same as most consoles etc were cup holders are.

Mine is not pefect but will do me fine.
    I don't know about you, but I like using my cup holders for drinks.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I don't know about you, but I like using my cup holders for drinks.
    Most cars have a lot more then one these days! lol