Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my initial plan's where to buy the touchstone. After reading a review on it (from either engadget, or gizmodo) I was turned off. The review pretty much stated it charged the phone significantly slower then the standard method of charging and that the touchstone got extremely hot. So they pretty much just said it was more of a gimicky device and not more useful then a car charger.

So I wanted to know the input of people who had a touchstone. Is it worth it? After reading some of the post's on the touchstone on this forum I still can't seem to decide if I want it or not. Some people have some pos thing's to say about it other's don't.

Would you guy's recommend just waiting for a bigger battery?
    i prob wouldn't have paid for it if i didn't get such a deal on it. all in all i'm mostly happy with it. it does get hot and it does feel like it's charging slower. the official word from palm is that it charges at teh same rate as the wall charger, but i guess i always play with the phone when it's on the touchstone so that probably skewed things quite a bit.
    I'd call it a useful gimmick. However, three things worth noting from my experience with using it: 1) I don't really think it charges all that slow, to be honest. 2) The phone does get noticeably warm while charging, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with how it charges, and it cools off pretty fast when pulled off the Touchstone for a minute or two. It never gets too hot to hold, either. 3) If I had to choose between either A) sliding open the phone, popping out the cover on the MicroUSB port, closing the phone, plugging in the charger then unplugging the charger and closing the port back up... or, B) dropping the phone onto the Touchstone and picking it up again when I'm done... well, geez, I'm gonna go with B. Seriously, that port cover can be a pest to open. In fact, it's pretty much impossible without sliding open the phone.

For me, the Touchstone is way more convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    i prob wouldn't have paid for it if i didn't get such a deal on it. all in all i'm mostly happy with it. it does get hot and it does feel like it's charging slower. the official word from palm is that it charges at teh same rate as the wall charger, but i guess i always play with the phone when it's on the touchstone so that probably skewed things quite a bit.
    I bought two touchstones. It is true that it gets warm or hot to some. I have one for work and one for the house. It's good because I can sit at my desk and use it and when I am on the fly, I just pick it up and go. To be honest I have not noticed any difference in the charging time.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Put me at the "useful gimmick" point as well.

First, to the questions. I haven't found that it charges that slowly, though really its been going onto the touch stone at usually 50% or higher and more often than not 75% or higher. I've found the phone does get hot if its on there for a long time, though nothing scalding just kind of warm, but cools quickly. The touchstone itself doesn't feel that hot.

Second, to why its useful. For me, I keep it at the desk in my office. I tend to get up and go around the office often so just picking it up and walking off and putting it back on has been a breeze. Its also nice that it has the angle, so that if I don't need to type I can still use the Pre or see notifications while its sitting next to my desk.

Yes, you can do all that with a standard traditional cradle...but the few seconds saved on the touchstone and the lack of needing to think in any way about it is nice. I don't need to pull it off in a certain way so it gets off the charge port, or vise versa for putting it back on. It never gets a little stuck or something. And with the amount I take it off to go around the office or just answer a text or email, this is really nice.

Its also useful simply because of the design of the Pre. If the usb port was on the bottom like many phones then I'd probably have a lot less use for the touchstone and may be inclined to purchase a normal cradle if it was a fair bit cheaper. But because the charging port is on the side then any kind of cradle for it, which for me is needed, is pretty much non-existant and its obnoxious removing the little flap and jamming the cord in.

So overall, its gimmicky in general, but extremely useful when it comes to the Pre.
    Very useful, extremely expensive. This morning my battery was at 73%, i'm running around trying to not be too late for work, i put my phone on the touchstone, keep getting ready, and then grab it off when it's time to go. Very very useful.
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I to was turned off by the price, but got 50% off when I got it with the phone. It does get a little warm while charging but as DeusInnomen says, it does cool off quickly. Plus the fact of not having to open up the cheesy little door every time to plug the cord into is a major plus. Charging times appear about the same as just using the wall charger.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I would think the only reason why it would be considered 'gimicky' is due to the price. I for one, think it's worth it for the same reasons as stated above. Nice to just instantly set it down or pull it off without hassle. Keeps it topped off, which is what you want with these types of batteries. If I decide to keep the Pre, I'll be getting a touchstone for home and work.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I went round and round with getting, deciding at the least minute to get one, which was good, since I got the last one in the store on Saturday. So glad I did! So much easier than messing with the usb door. I took my phone from 0% to 100% fully charged on the touchstone in about two hours! I was amazed. That does not seem slow to me at all!

I am going to order a second touchstone and wall plug shortly for home too (first on sits on my desk in my office). Keep in mind when getting a second touchstone that it DOES require a wall adapter. It will not work with a charge/sync cable plugged into the computer.

It does get hot when charging on the touchstone, but not really something i have been concerned about. Cools off really quickly once taken off.
    It's worth noting that the Pre Central store has the Touchstone Kit (with the back cover) for only $50 down from the retail of $70, and about $6 shipping. It's a little better than $70+tax if you can't get a discount locally on it. (Too bad it's out of stock until next Thursday. heh.)

Oh, one more thing: the back cover that comes with the Touchstone is matte instead of glossy. It actually has a better feel in my hand than the stock cover does. It also means I've only got half the phone covered in fingerprints. *grin*
    In my experience, the touchstone seems to charge a bit slower than using the standard power adapter. I have a touchstone at work, and I use Pandora for a lot of the day while the phone is charging. When the phone was on the Touchstone while using Pandora, the phone got pretty hot after charging for a while (I'd say "beyond warm"), and the battery full percentage increased very slowly or sometimes decreased for brief periods (maybe stopped charging temporarily do to brief periods of battery overheating? not sure.) However, using Pandora while on the standard power adapter allowed the phone to continue charging quickly and completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I bought two touchstones. It is true that it gets warm or hot to some. I have one for work and one for the house. It's good because I can sit at my desk and use it and when I am on the fly, I just pick it up and go. To be honest I have not noticed any difference in the charging time.
    What cable are you using to power the second TouchStone? Because of the design, the microUSB end of the cable must fit into the TS. It seems the third party cables are to big to do so.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I hate to sound all New Agey Marketing-y but the Touchstone completes the "Pre experience" very nicely so to me it was worth it (I bought two).

Objectively, it's just a charging dock so strictly in terms of features, function, and performance, obviously a plain USB cable is a much better value. The Touchstone's real value comes from its subjective appeal.
    1. Sitting at your desk, it stares as you and invites you to charge your Pre. You want to charge your Pre. So your Pre stays charged.
    2. It sticks to your desk, so there's kind of a subtle subconscious extra assurance that you always know where your Pre is.
    3. Being wireless, it reinforces the Pre's wireless nature. Similarly I recommend buying a wireless headset. The whole package, without wires, is so clean. I can't wait for MissingSync and its proximity (wi-fi) sync.
    4. Dealing with notifications is kind of fun on the Touchstone. At that low angle, stuck to the desk, it's like my own little LCARS terminal.
    5. On the other hand, typing on the Touchstone makes me giggle. It's awkward to use thumbs so I hunt and peck with my index fingers. It's like typing on the world's smallest laptop.

And let's not forget the revulsive nature of the Pre's USB door. The Touchstone "takes me away" from all that.

I'm not making this up. These are the thoughts that go through my mind when I use it, and they're all good. So I think Palm has achieved that wonder of marketing...a high-margin product that delights the user and makes the whole package greater than the sum of its parts. Apple has its Reality Distortion Field. Call this the Gestalt of Palm.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Do you think that all palm future releases will use/have the touchstone charging option?

Also not being a huge wiz on this, is it possible that a palm or a 3rd party co could make the TS back for phones already released like the Palm pro could it work?
    Last edited by sjjones; 06/11/2009 at 09:47 AM.
    The touchstone really helps the Pre deal with its battery shortcomings. It makes a quick charge easy and fun.
    I thought it was gimmicky too...till I used it. They designed the hardware and software well. The phone is touchstone aware and changes how it functions. When you drop it on the 'stone it automatically switches to speaker phone and the screen stays illuminated. If you turn the screen off, it switches to a clock.

I don't like that they charge $70 bucks and you don't even get an extra power cord...have to reuse the cord and wallwort that came with the pre.
  17. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm thinking about plunking the $20 for the back cover itself. I guess for a better deal I'd be better off just getting the dock too.
    I bought the slim extended battery, as battery life sucks
    back cover is great and now i no longer have to fiddle with the side cover. well, until i want to move something onto the pre.

btw, i keep having to stop myself from calling it a treo.

ha ha
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I like the back cover too. It makes the phone feel less "flimsy" in my hands. Reminds me a bit of the finish on my Treo 755p back cover, which I liked a lot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast