View Poll Results: Which screen protector do you recommend for the Pre?

Voters
1030. You may not vote on this poll
  • bodyguardz

85 8.25%
  • Zagg Invisible Shield

293 28.45%
  • Best Skins Ever

77 7.48%
  • Ghost Armor

42 4.08%
  • Phantom Skinz

218 21.17%
  • Other

164 15.92%
  • None

151 14.66%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    My bodyguardz was a pain to get on and I have some "zebra stripes" where I didn't get all the solution out but the protection is incredible. If you get the front protector only it comes with two: learn from the first, use it andreplace it with the other when you feel like it. These skins are the only way to protect the phone i**** want to preserve the natrual form and beauty.
    I saw this new thread and I felt compelled to post/re-post..

OK folks. I'd like to share my experience with the phantomskinz that I got last week. Used the latest code "independence33" and paid ~$17 with tax and shipping to Hawaii. It came in the mail about 3 days after ordering it online and that's because I ordered late in the day and it didn't process until the next day.

Ok that said.. The installation we perfectly smooth with very very little bubbles and it was my first time ever using this type of product. Using the second skin that comes with it, I did my wife's phone with even better results. The only thing I think I could've done better was not apply so much pressure using the applicator i think i stretched the skin a bit near the edges. But all in all, I'm VERY VERY HAPPY and I recommend this to anyone and everyone that has a Palm Pre.

I have a couple of flaws in mine like lint in the corner but it looks so smooth that it seems like it's part of the cover. I'll post pictures soon.

PhantomSkinz FTW!!!..
    I've had the zagg and now the phantom skinz. I prefer the phantom skinz hands down over the zagg. Biggest difference to me is the feel. The zagg feels "rubbery" while the phantom skinz feel more "natural" (please no jokes lol). Also (at least for me) it was way easier to install the phantom skinz, and they are cheaper. So far I can't say I noticed a difference as far as protection goes, but they both make pretty much the same claims as far as that goes. Oh, and the phantom skinz looks more "invisible" than the zagg invisible shield. Less orange peel look and overall smoother finish.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    after reading this thread and using the coupon code scholarlv gave, i ordered the phantom skinz. I have used bodyguards or zagg for all my other phones, but was disappointed with the way the IS fit my treo pro. So Im going to try something new. will report back later.
    GhostArmor - installed at a kiosk @ AZ Mills. I had my Centro's screen done there 1.5 years ago & 0 scratches. Their film is tough, they install quick and neat.
    After reading various threads on subject, i went with the phantom skinz. Very easy to install. I consider myself a hack when it comes to little details and i had no issues at all. I put one on my phone and one on the wife's. Could not be happier so far.
    Phantom Skinz is AWESOME. I did plenty of research before settling on Phantom Skinz. I was not disappointed. It went on pretty easily--about 30 mins to CAUTIOUSLY put it on. All the bubbles I was initially worried about disappeared. Nice smooth texture so it doesn't interfere with finger swiping. Very durable. Highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malimal View Post
    after reading this thread and using the coupon code scholarlv gave, i ordered the phantom skinz. I have used bodyguards or zagg for all my other phones, but was disappointed with the way the IS fit my treo pro. So Im going to try something new. will report back later.
    you will be happy I'm sure!!!!!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I think I'm going to need one of these soon.. I now have two spots on my screen that are scratched (a dot, not a line), and it's only going to get worse. The Zagg Invisible Shield seems to be in the lead on the poll.. I'm just wondering how it feels on the phone. I really don't like the idea of having something overtop of the screen.
    It might be leading in the poll but by all accounts the feel of the Phantom Skinz is the best.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    New here, also just got a Palm Pre 2 weeks ago, after having a HTC Touch Pro, have to say I love the phone, that said I found a screen saver off eBay that works great, $4.99 for 5, about 2 years worth (you never know)

The site was AccStation

Name on the package is Insten (LCD Screen Protectors) looks like the same folks that made the protectors for my HTC,

They go on perfect, easy to apply, and don't oil up or get those pesky scratches. Very happy with the protector.

BTW, glad to see a great community in place. I actually owned the first Palm/phone sprint had, size of an iPhone back then. It was very useful, wish I still had it, for the nostalgia.
    After once again being anal and over-analyzing all options... I've ordered the Phantom Skinz. Looking forward to getting these and installing. Way too tired of constantly wiping my screen off.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have applied my zagg IS skin.
    In general, the phone without skin is much better than with skin.
    In front it is visible but it has only a little bubbles that seems disappearing.
    Borders are really bad (angles).
    The back is also full of larger bubbles. I have applied it on the TS back.
    Is it possible to take it off, wet it again with solution and reapplying the same skin another time to try to keep bubble away?

thank you
    I had originally voted for Zagg when this first went up, but now that we are well into the life of the phone and many people have tried out various solutions I finally placed an order for Phantom Skinz.

They are getting loads of great reviews, and the price is very attractive imo. 2 skins, free shipping at a 30% discount makes it almost unbeatable which is why I picked it.

Hoping I get it in the next few days and we'll see how application goes.
    I find that the Boxwave ClearTouch is the best. No glue. No water. No bubbles. No orange-rind texture. It's smooth, and goes on easy. Now i can wipe the phone against my shirt or pants w/o any worries of scratches. It's a little pricy, but worth it IMO.
    I bought invisible shield, best skins and a boxwave screen protector. All had flaws, I decided to stop wasting my money. I keep my pre in my pocket, making sure there is nothing else in the pocket and I dont have any scratches since launch day. I am surprised at how scratch resistant it is. Thats one of the reasons I dont want to switch to another phone, I dont know what they would look like in a few months.

So I vote for none. The feel of the naked pre cant be matched, it kinda defeats the purpose to put a skin on it.

I am sure that dropping it would not work out too good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    I find that the Boxwave ClearTouch is the best. No glue. No water. No bubbles. No orange-rind texture. It's smooth, and goes on easy. Now i can wipe the phone against my shirt or pants w/o any worries of scratches. It's a little pricy, but worth it IMO.
    If you are talking about the boxware screen protector, I agree it had the best feel, but the edge drove me crazy. Took it off, just had to do with the curvature of the pre, would have liked it on any other phone.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    @laingman: Agreed. Palm really nailed the design... I absolutely love the feel of my naked Pre [insert heavy breathing here].

That being said, while I really babied my baby (always set it down on the OEM pouch, etc) two minor scratches popped up on the screen within the first month. I blame hard particulates that wound up in the pouch -> then my Pre's shoved in: Voila, screen damage!

So - after research - I bought an InvisibleShield along with a Touchstone (great back). After about a month of use I'm basically pretty positive about Zagg for the following reasons (Pros/Cons included):

I read every install tip I could find and watched every YouTube installation video... [Pro: Lots of install information on the web.]

So armed, I installed my InvisibleShield - naked (probably an unnecessary step) - in a heavily misted bathroom in an area as sterilized as I could make it. [Con: I received the Sponge kit as opposed to Spray; see below.]

While instructions state that the Sponge kit is good for 3 refills (tap-water), I never felt that I was able to saturate my fingers, the Shield, and the Pre well enough to off-set the tackiness of the Shield (prevent roll-over, etc). Also, the cut-outs for the microphone, ear-piece, and center button didn't pull off when the Shield was separated from its backing... I wound up, on first attempt, with a small disc of plastic from the microphone cut-out stuck under - and to - the adhesive side of the Shield. [Con: The sponge kit stinks! And there should be instructions to pick off and discard cut-outs before removing the Shield from its' backing.]

I had no problems aligning the IS to the the Pre. Squeegeeing left few bubbles. I applied the palming method to corners - about 3 minutes in each case, with repositioning - and this worked well.

I used a hair dryer on LOW to cure the IS (about 15-20 minutes of back and forth from a distance of 6-10 inches). I waited about 2 hours before using the device (not 2 days). [Pro: Alignment and application/curing of the skin was trivial.]

I was left with some persistent bubbles at the end of this procedure, but these cleared after several days. The skin was eventually tight, glossy, and tacky. After a months' worth of use tackiness has subsided (the screen is smooth; no problems with gestures). The Pre feels protected. [Pro: Final install is good.]

[Con: But it's still not as smooth as native/naked; some orange peel when dark, though not noticeable when active.]

Final estimation: I may try again with a PhantomSkinz, research indicates that it might be less textured than the IS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the InvisibleShield - just trying to get back to the smooth, pebbly feeling of the original device... with protection.

Edit: and the preexisting scratches have disappeared, though I'm not sure if this is a function of the wash or the skin...
    Last edited by bezoris; 11/03/2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bezoris View Post
    ... Agreed. Palm really nailed the design... I absolutely love the feel of my naked Pre [insert heavy breathing here]...

...So armed, I installed my InvisibleShield - naked (probably an unnecessary step)...
    Way too much info... now I have a disturbing image of you sitting in a corner nekkid, fondling the curves on your Pre. Eeeww. Just be careful of the 'cheese slicer' effect!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Yeah... it's a whole new genre: Pre-p()rn!

[She swipes and swipes - cards flying every which way - as I scream FIND THAT GPU BABY! FIND IT!!!]

Love Buckaroo, BTW.
    Last edited by bezoris; 11/04/2009 at 12:00 AM.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast