View Poll Results: Which screen protector do you recommend for the Pre?

Voters
1030. You may not vote on this poll
  • bodyguardz

85 8.25%
  • Zagg Invisible Shield

293 28.45%
  • Best Skins Ever

77 7.48%
  • Ghost Armor

42 4.08%
  • Phantom Skinz

218 21.17%
  • Other

164 15.92%
  • None

151 14.66%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    I voted none since I do not like the feel of screen protectors; my finger does not glide as smoothly as it does on a non-protected screen and therefore affects the usability of the Pre device.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    For those of you that don't want a water solution based screen protector for the PRE, here is an alternative. I just ordered them. You can add it to the list if you want.
    Amzer Anti-Glare Screen Protector - Pack of 6 For Palm Pre for only $8.95.

Here is the link:

Amzer Anti-Glare Screen Protector - Pack of 6 For Palm - Palm Pre - Fommy.com
    Have you received these yet? The photos show that the screen protector covers the microphone hole.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I just got a set of Phantom Skinz today. I like Phantom Skinz much better than Zagg IS. The screen is so much more responsive. With the summer50 coupon you get 50% off. It was $4.97 shipped for 2 front only Skinz..
    Do NOT buy the ones off of ebay from forever_fit. These are currently selling as a 6 pack for $7.99 and ship from Hong Kong.

In fairness, they have a great "touch" to them. I actually like using my touch screen more with this protector on. BUT, there is no cutout for the microphone. Literally, the thing covers the mic and makes it impossible to use the phone. Then, even if you trim the cover, the "anti-glare" coating makes the screen so pixelated that I got a headache after 5 minutes of using the Pre with it on. I'm probably going to suffer through with it until I get something new just in case, but don't waste your time trying to go cheap!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Got the Clear Protector with the discount. Thought I'd go the cheap route since I didn't want to spring for the Zagg. Got it off Ebay and it arrived very quickly, so I was excited. Got all of my gear together, and even have a squeegee left when I put a Zagg on my wife's Instinct.

Did the soap and water thing, applied just right, squeegee, let it rest.

Crap.

Didn't look good. Edges were visible, screen duller, although no bubbles still a wrinkly appearance. Might be psychological but I could swear it wasn't registering my clicks and swipes as well as normal.

Finally ripped it off last night. Phone looks so much nicer. Guess I'll take my chances. I'll probably break down and get a Zagg again.

But with the curves of the phone I'm not holding out too much promise that it will keep its shape.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I ordered my Invisible Shield a few days ago. Can't wait for it to come in so I don't have to keep babying my pre in the pouch that came with it. If it's good enough to coat Apache helicopter rotors it's good enough for my pre.
    I got these today, the Amzer, rather easy to install.

I also ordered and received today the Bodyguard.

I also want to purchase this Zagg Invisible Shield that everyone is talking about but their website seems to be down right now.

Can some post a link to a place where I can order the Zagg.

I alway loved my rubberized skin, it took a beating and always protected my Treo 650 from all the falls it took (to a cement sidewalk).

But that kind of skin will not fit a Pre with the slide out keyboard.

So what is the best skin. It seems everyone is voting on the Zagg.

Now if I just find a place to purchase them.

Thanks

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I've only tried 2 so far. I got the Zagg I.S. on mines and Clear Coat's the wife's. I would give the edge to I.S. between these two so far. I have heard some good stuff on Phantom Skinz and B.S.E. (Best Skins Ever) and "just" bought a set of both to try, since all of these are lifetime warranty I'd figure that I would give all a shot get new ones and keep what ever I don't use for other family member's PrPrPr$s$.

I will try and keep information up to date as I get new toys for the phone.
    Last edited by PaSt; 06/20/2009 at 01:25 PM.
    I really love hard PET-based screen protectors (i.e. ScreenGardz-HD) and have ordered the Smartphone Experts brands (sold at this site) for my touch pro and 800w in the past. I really can't stand the vinyl based material used in all the ones listed in this poll. I was pretty excited to see the Smartphone Experts go up for sale last week and got mine on Friday, but sadly these are just the same vinyl ones everyone else is selling (but really expensive since they were sold at the same price as the PET are normally sold at). I've already sent an email for my RMA, these weren't what I wanted.

Anyone know anyone selling PET-based protectors for the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
    It may help if some of us knew what PET stood for.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
    I really love hard PET-based screen protectors (i.e. ScreenGardz-HD) and have ordered the Smartphone Experts brands (sold at this site) for my touch pro and 800w in the past. I really can't stand the vinyl based material used in all the ones listed in this poll. I was pretty excited to see the Smartphone Experts go up for sale last week and got mine on Friday, but sadly these are just the same vinyl ones everyone else is selling (but really expensive since they were sold at the same price as the PET are normally sold at). I've already sent an email for my RMA, these weren't what I wanted.

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!
    I had the original plastic on mine that came with the phone and it managed to last about a week or so until the little tab at the top got snagged on something and got some dust under it so I peeled it off.

I have been looking around here though and it seems that the Zagg I looked at may be nice but there are many other options out there I need to look into.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I will be going with the IS since they have a kiosk in the local mall and I can just have them install it.
    While in Best Buy on Saturday I was checking out what they had for the Pre to prepare for when I finally get mine at the Sprint Corporate store in my area. The rep I spoke with showed me the Zagg Invisible Shield and said that the guy that usually installs them there had a tough time with it. He mentioned that the edges of the film roll over the curved edges and did not stay down.
    I had the Zag invisible shield on my HTC Touch. I was very unhappy with it. First of all it was not totally clear. Second it is two rubbery. I could not smoothly slide my finger across it. My finger would bounce across it making the phone think I was doing a double click.

The best screen protector I have used is from Boxwave. It is easy to install. It is totally clear. It is a hard smooth surface you can slide your finger across. Here is the link. I am going to order one tomorrow. Have fun.

Pre Screen Protector / Palm Pre Screen Protector / Pre Screen Cover / Palm Pre Screen Cover / Pre Screen Film - ClearTouch Crystal
    I kept the original plastic on until I received my IS, the back of my Pre looks really good but the screen looked terrible. I since remove the front and replace with Phantom skinz, which came out perfect. This has got to be the easy shield to install, your a take off within five minutes if you mess up and reapply. I just used my finger to apply and remove the water and bubbles, this there's no marks. There were no bubble and the screen was almost perfectly clear. The sides are completely covered with no orange peel like IS and the corners stick really well. If you should buy these make sure you use 1 cup one warm water in a bowl with a drop of soap. The soap makes it easy to side into position because without jump likes the other skins it will stick to to pre as so as you touch the screen. I can't believe how nice an clear and smooth it feel compared to IS. The Phantom Skinz are on sale through June and you get two sets with life time warranty, 30 day mb for 4.97 fronts / 12.47 full with shipping included. This the code needed for the discounted. summer50 http://phantomskinz.com/images/produ...-Pre-Trans.jpg
    I don't know which one to use, so I purchased almost all of them.

I now have:

Amzer
    Smartphone Experts
    Bodyguardz
    Invisible Shield by Zagg

And I'm planning on purchasing the new hardcase by Rockfish available only at Best Buy for now (unless someone knows other places I can get it at).

I think I want the hard plastic case because I find the Pre on the small side and I can't talk with my press my ear against my shoulder with the Pre inbetween, so that I can temporarily have both hand free. I was able to do this with the Treo 650, impossible with the small size of the Pre. I will test it out with the keyboard opened just to be sure there is no work around.

I wanted to be able to do this, because I'm a tech and sometimes you need to make a call and use both hands to do something. You guys know what I am talking about. And yes, I can use a headset, I'm talking about if I forgot the headset and don't have it handy.

I love my Pre, but it could have been bigger, nobody would have cared.

Anyway, back to the skin thing.

The best skin I used so far, is an old stick on screen protector that was oversized that I used on my Treo. It was not a perfect fit but covered most of the screen and worked great.

I have installed now the Amzer and I'm not sure what kind of plastic this is but it has a strange feeling to it that is not comfortable. I sort of feels mushy, I'm having trouble finding the right words to describe the feeling, but it's not something I want to live with.

So I looked at the Smartphone Experts and it looks like a regular stick on, just like the one I used on my Treo but cut to size. I will try that next.

I understand that if use the Rockfish, I probably can't have the BodyGuardz or Invisible Shield (by Zagg) installed at the same time.

I will try and pick that up at Best Buy on Wednesday. I did read about people having trouble snapping it on correctly and when you slide out the keyboard it presses against the volume keys, so I will report back on my experience.

But since there is at least one hardcase available, I'm sure other will come up with other designs.

I did not think it was possible to make a hard case for this kind of phone that has the slide out keyboard. But it looks like I was wrong and maybe there will be something even better in the future.

On my Treo 650, I used the silicone rubberized skins, and that was the best. If it fell, it sort of bounce because of the silicone, and always protected my Treo 650. Heck, it should have been in pieces by all the drops but the silicone was the best and it felt great in my hand. The phone was never slippery, as the Pre is. The Pre is so slippery in my hands, mainly because I have very dry hands.

OK, I'm rattling now..

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    It may help if some of us knew what PET stood for.
    Ha, I actually have no idea what PET stands for, just that it represents a different type of film used on some screen protectors. Here's a graphic from the Screenguardz site that explains it a bit.

It looks like the new Boxwave screen protectors are made from this material, I've emailed them for confirmation. If it is, that's what I'm getting.

JT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clear-coat You have to watch the video!!!
    It is awesome! It's made with the same material the US Airforce uses to protect helicopter blades! It will last for 1-2 years, is the best and easiest to apply to your phone/device, and once on you hardly know it's there. It uses a solution to put it on and I love that because I can move it around on the device until it is Perfect! It does take about 12 hours for everything to dry but once you are don't it will stay on for who knows how long! It doesn't reduce the touch screen sensitivity and and is very smooth! I have used Invisible Shield, BodyGaurdz, allot more and I will definitely say that this one takes the cake!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Clear-coat You have to watch the video!!!
    It is awesome! It's made with the same material the US Airforce uses to protect helicopter blades! It will last for 1-2 years, is the best and easiest to apply to your phone/device, and once on you hardly know it's there. It uses a solution to put it on and I love that because I can move it around on the device until it is Perfect! It does take about 12 hours for everything to dry but once you are don't it will stay on for who knows how long! It doesn't reduce the touch screen sensitivity and and is very smooth! I have used Invisible Shield, BodyGaurdz, allot more and I will definitely say that this one takes the cake!
    Trust me, anything having to do with protecting helicopter blades is not good for a touch screen unless you plan on flying. If you did not have to touch the screen it would be great except it is not clear and distorts the screen. I guess the military does not look through there blades.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast