View Poll Results: Which screen protector do you recommend for the Pre?

Voters
1030. You may not vote on this poll
  • bodyguardz

85 8.25%
  • Zagg Invisible Shield

293 28.45%
  • Best Skins Ever

77 7.48%
  • Ghost Armor

42 4.08%
  • Phantom Skinz

218 21.17%
  • Other

164 15.92%
  • None

151 14.66%
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    I got my PhantomSkinz today.

Applied tonight when I got home and I am VERY happy with the choice. First ever time applying this type of a protective solution to a device and it really wasn't that bad, I am mildly OCD and thought I would destroy both sets trying to line everything up perfectly and it went smooth as can be, only used the one set so I even have a spare now if something ever happens to this one.

Free shipping, 2 complete kits for $17 and it got here in about 3-4 days. Can't beat it as far as I am concerned.
    complete set as in front and back? or just 2 front covers
    Quote Originally Posted by randompre21 View Post
    complete set as in front and back? or just 2 front covers

Complete where I am from means the entire thing, a whole of something.

2 complete kits is 2 front and 2 back.

I applied 1 set which is one front and one back so I have a brand new front and back still unused if anything ever happens to this one I installed.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Just installed the Phantom Skinz. Not to hard to do, does not effect swiping ability and helps with finger prints. Excellent product and a value compared to some other shields.
    Phantom Skinz!! Installed pretty easily, doesn't add screen grip like Zaggs (tried it), and no little to no orange peel look.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    I LOVE the Phantom Skinz I put on my Pre, but does everyone else get the "gunk" buildup around the edges?

How often do you change yours? I've had mine on for about 4 months and I think I already need a new skin.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I've got the Zagg Invisible shield on the front of mine and an unprotected Touchstone back. I'm really happy with the combination. I just stick the thing in my pocket with my keys and there's no marking at all.

The screen protector does change the display a bit but I wouldn't say that it's better or worse and I think it improved the touch sensitivity. It was a real pain in the but to install but I think it was worth the effort. It's weird but the small bubbles and imperfections really do disappear over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    I LOVE the Phantom Skinz I put on my Pre, but does everyone else get the "gunk" buildup around the edges?

How often do you change yours? I've had mine on for about 4 months and I think I already need a new skin.
    no gunk build up if you have an innocase type protective case !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post

JTH,

I could not resist on the title. Sorry! The BEST product to clean your phone with is Isopropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth. Remember, when we cut our patterns for you, there is a layer of adhesive that is under the film that is exposed to the outside. Kinda like when you bite into a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. When you bite through, you see a layer of jelly. Cleaning the device with the Isopropyl Alcohol will clean or remove the adhesive/Jelly.

Guru
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSkinz Guru View Post
    JTH,

I could not resist on the title. Sorry! The BEST product to clean your phone with is Isopropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth. Remember, when we cut our patterns for you, there is a layer of adhesive that is under the film that is exposed to the outside. Kinda like when you bite into a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. When you bite through, you see a layer of jelly. Cleaning the device with the Isopropyl Alcohol will clean or remove the adhesive/Jelly.

Guru
    Haha, thanks for the tip
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I got my phantom skinz today. Two fro $6.95 shipped. I didnt like it at first, I put the first one on and used the applicator card really rough, making a bunch of lines in the adhesive. I did the second one more gentle, did one half at a time. It worked perfect, I had a few little dark spots on the screen, but they went away by morning. This screen cover is pretty amazing.
    Not sure if anyone has used them before, but they were much cheaper than the invisible skins so i thought I'd give them a try.

I got 2 for me and my wife's phone. On her phone I saw these weird vertical lines that covered the entire screen which was refracting light as it hit the skin. I thought it would go away after the skin dries but it didn't. I complained, and got a new replacement from them right away. Re-installed it and now it is fine. Must have been a bad skin.

On my phone I am asking for another replacement as the side tabs have started to peel. I think these side tabs should be cut off before installing, they're a waste of plastic. I mean who cares about the corners?

But i take it back... I dropped my Pre and it cracked on the corner, if it wasn't for the skin, I probably would have lost that plastic chunk which I was able to crazy glue back on, with a nice coat of black sharpie to cover the discoloration, then I replaced the skin back on top... good as new...

i think one key important tip before installing any skin on their phone is to completely remove any skin/fingerprint oils by using some sort of alcohol based wipes. (test first to make sure it doesn't mess up the screen) or maybe just use soapy water on soft cloth and give it a good wipe then dry it. from the device then remove lint / dust with a microfibre cloth

I think residual oils causes these things to peel off. Simply wiping it off with a cloth is not good enough. On my wife's 2nd installation I made sure I wiped it clean and removed the oils from the screen before application. On her phone the tabs on the corners are still very much intact.

Another very very important tip if you want to achieve that smooth surface. Don't squeegee the liquids out very hard. that can cause ripples and wrinkles. it's ok if theres a bit of water underneath, remember it will dry out after a few days. You just want to lightly push out any exess water and make sure you do it away from the button and speaker hole. have a paper towel ready to absorb the exess if you see any near those holes.

I wonder if the invisible sheilds suffer from the same issue? (corners peeling) I chose these over the Invisible shields because they claim it prevents
    "yellowing" not sure how true this is because when i removed my wife's and stuck it on a white piece of paper it certainly was not clear. I know the invisible sheilds did the same before too when I had it on my white DS lite. So I think all these skins are the same. I think customer service is the key winner.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I got the BSE set about a month ago and put them on straight away, was at work so needed to use the phone again quite soon, didn't have the luxury of being able to wait for 24hours or whatever the recommended time was.

Price was excellent, got front and back x2 for cheaper than a single set of most other skins. Application was simple, although where I work (even though I'm in web design) we put up a lot of vinyl graphics and such. Therefore I'm no stranger to wet-applying films on glassy/plastic surfaces and we have all the tools on hand, like the scrapers to push out air bubbles, and scalpels etc.

I would say this... Place the skin on and line it up, then push out the excess liquid and air to the sides, keeping the important holes lined up like the microphone and earpiece. Then just leave the skin in place for about a half hour until the sides have dried off a bit more before trying to press them down into place (or use less liquid I guess, but drip dry seemed like it would give me enough time to position).

Anyway, the surface is immaculate, the seams are noticeable but don't bother me, and the overall protection offered far outweighs the cost of having huge scratches down your screen in my opinion. I'd highly recommend these skins due to the easy application, price and great delivery (from the states to London in half a week while there was a postal strike!).
    srkline mentions he had success in getting the Touchstone to work through the ZAGG product. Any others have similar success with it and other products? I'm looking for a protector, and these clear products seem far more attractive to me than standard cases (though I realize from the thread that they seem like a bit of a challenge to properly apply).
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    FWIW, here's my experience with my ZAGG invisibleSHIELD. I didn't do any price comparisons (and still haven't) nor did I even look at any other product. I did no research on this product before purchasing.

I initially bought my Pre at the nearest Sprint store and went immediately to Best Buy across the street to get some kind of protection for it to ensure I didn't damage it... partly because I didn't know if I would want to return my Pre and needed it in pristine condition. I bought my invisibleSHIELD as it was the first (and maybe only) product they had for my Pre, and went straight home. After setting up and playing with my Pre for a bit, it was time to tackle the installation of my invisibleSHIELD.

I read all directions included with the product, checked ZAGG's website to see what else they had to say there, and even watched videos on the ZAGG site and YouTube. I blame it on the OCD. Anyway, I did the back of the phone first, then the front, and tried to keep my fingertips wet as instructed... the back had some fingerprints on the inside of the invisibleSHIELD (adhesive side) due to my needing to realign it more than once. And I had to cut a small piece off the top near where the power button is. But overall it was pretty easy and I was happy with how it went.

So fast forward about a week and my Pre is broken - the speaker (for my ear) doesn't work so I need to use speakerphone when talking on the phone. I transfer everything I want to keep off the phone onto my computer and carefully remove the invisibleSHIELD (taking special care not to stretch it). Then I take my Pre to the Sprint store and exchange it as it's within 30 days. The guy lets me keep everything from the broken phone - box, charger, battery, etc - except the phone itself, so I'm happy about that but bummed that I may have wasted my $30 dollars or so on the invisibleSHIELD, as I'm not really expecting it to reapply very well...

Once it's time to reapply the invisibleSHIELD (and by the way I'm very happy to find that my Palm profile transferred everything so easily to my new phone, even tasks and memos I forgot all about saving off my old phone) I wash my hands and refill the sponge container that had the liquid stuff in it, using tap water. This time I have experience in applying the invisibleSHIELD and it goes much smoother than the first time. I used the card to smooth it out as I was laying it on the phone, and made sure to use the sponge to wipe the adhesive side very well every time I had to pick the invisibleSHIELD up and lay it back on my Pre to realign it. After a few tries it now looks better than it did before.

The moral of my (long) story is that you can reapply the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD at least one time after leaving it on for a week after inital application. The second time around is much easier due to your experience level and also that the invisibleSHIELD is already curved well on the edges to conform exactly to your Pre's shape. Overall I'm quite happy with the product and would recommend it to others. Just make sure through the whole process you are a major clean freak. And definitely make sure to remove all residual oils from the Pre.
    Does anyone have a review of the Skinomi TechSkin? would be very appreciated thank you
    Good Stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by dna. View Post
    FWIW, here's my experience with my ZAGG invisibleSHIELD. I didn't do any price comparisons (and still haven't) nor did I even look at any other product. I did no research on this product before purchasing.

I initially bought my Pre at the nearest Sprint store and went immediately to Best Buy across the street to get some kind of protection for it to ensure I didn't damage it... partly because I didn't know if I would want to return my Pre and needed it in pristine condition. I bought my invisibleSHIELD as it was the first (and maybe only) product they had for my Pre, and went straight home. After setting up and playing with my Pre for a bit, it was time to tackle the installation of my invisibleSHIELD.

I read all directions included with the product, checked ZAGG's website to see what else they had to say there, and even watched videos on the ZAGG site and YouTube. I blame it on the OCD. Anyway, I did the back of the phone first, then the front, and tried to keep my fingertips wet as instructed... the back had some fingerprints on the inside of the invisibleSHIELD (adhesive side) due to my needing to realign it more than once. And I had to cut a small piece off the top near where the power button is. But overall it was pretty easy and I was happy with how it went.

So fast forward about a week and my Pre is broken - the speaker (for my ear) doesn't work so I need to use speakerphone when talking on the phone. I transfer everything I want to keep off the phone onto my computer and carefully remove the invisibleSHIELD (taking special care not to stretch it). Then I take my Pre to the Sprint store and exchange it as it's within 30 days. The guy lets me keep everything from the broken phone - box, charger, battery, etc - except the phone itself, so I'm happy about that but bummed that I may have wasted my $30 dollars or so on the invisibleSHIELD, as I'm not really expecting it to reapply very well...

Once it's time to reapply the invisibleSHIELD (and by the way I'm very happy to find that my Palm profile transferred everything so easily to my new phone, even tasks and memos I forgot all about saving off my old phone) I wash my hands and refill the sponge container that had the liquid stuff in it, using tap water. This time I have experience in applying the invisibleSHIELD and it goes much smoother than the first time. I used the card to smooth it out as I was laying it on the phone, and made sure to use the sponge to wipe the adhesive side very well every time I had to pick the invisibleSHIELD up and lay it back on my Pre to realign it. After a few tries it now looks better than it did before.

The moral of my (long) story is that you can reapply the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD at least one time after leaving it on for a week after inital application. The second time around is much easier due to your experience level and also that the invisibleSHIELD is already curved well on the edges to conform exactly to your Pre's shape. Overall I'm quite happy with the product and would recommend it to others. Just make sure through the whole process you are a major clean freak. And definitely make sure to remove all residual oils from the Pre.

Great Post!
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    No water on my Pre. Boxwave and a protective case. I want my Pre to survive a fall.
    I just voted for the Zagg IS, but it is the only one I've tried. It took me close to an hour to install both the back and the front, but I got it on well (slightly misaligned, but not so much to be a problem).

I had "practiced" on my wife's iPhone a month or so ago, and that one didn't go quite so well. She has a couple of bubbles right on the face of her phone. I might be checking out ZAGG's warranty policy soon because her's is also peeling off somewhat (near the power button) and getting dirty underneath.