Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My TS worked fine 6 months. Yesterday totally quit. Called and talked to 2 PALM service folks, they decided to send me a new TS. I read this thread, did a reset, now the original TS is working fine again.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I have two touchstones, one at work and one at home and never have had any trouble with either. I also have 2 touchstone backs.

I had to get a refurb pre and have had problems with both touchstones not charging, no matter how I try to adjust them, they just won't charge consistently. I have switched the backs and they still are having issues. This leads me to believe it is not a touchstone issue or a back issue but a Pre issue. A reset usually corrects the problem for while and then it reappears. What is the solution? Anyone?
    I got a touchstone at launch day at the sprint store and it always has behaved the same. (Pretty Bad) It will charge for awhile and then do the constant connection thing. The Pre always had to sit a certain way and forget using the sprint case with the cut-out for the touchstone, it hardly ever conected through the case like it supposed to do.

I went to the verizion store today and they had a special on touchstones. The promotion was BUY ONE touchstone and get the second FREE FOR $50.00. They ended up selling me two touchstones for $39.99. A great bargain!

Both have worked great today, even through the sprint case!

Clearly the first batch of touchstones that Sprint got at launch were faulty. My Sprint touchstone's magnetic attraction seems weaker compared to the new ones i got today. The pre syncs up every time i put it on the Verizion touchstones. The sprint one you always had to fiddle awhile to get it to charge (without the case).
    I had the problem solved by adjusting the charging cable's plug. so every time I lift the plug it's charging without the notification-problem. When i push it down or just stop lifting it, the notifications start popping up again.
    seems to be a faulty micro usb socket in the TS, because i can charge my pre without any problem when connecting the cable directly to the phone.

does lifting the plug help with your TS?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    My daughter has a Pixi and I have a Pre. She's had 2 different Toouchstones and I have had 2 from day one. A good part of the time mine work fine. Her first one had to be exchanged and now her second one doesn't work either.
    Since the last update (may or may not be related, just the time frame) I have had numerous instances of the thing showing charging when it is actually draining the battery. VERY annoying to get up and be unable to use the phone. I also have the spaz attacks where I can't get it to stop notifying.

I finally bought an extra battery. I think my next move is to take all the stones to the 'real' Sprint store and 'force' them to trade for some extra cords and be done with it.

This technology just ain't ready for prime time. At least this version of this technology ain't ready for me.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    I had to register to post once I found what I think is a solution to the touchstone problem.

The problem I was having was similar to what other people on this thread were describing - I would put my phone on the touchstone, it would appear as if it was charging for a minute or two, and then it would switch to my wallpaper view, and not appear to be charging. I thought maybe it was slipping off the magnetic connectors just slightly, so I spent a whole day trying to adjust it but never really got it working right. Which brought me to this thread.

As a side note, I had a cover on my pre originally. Of course, I had taken the cover off of the back of my pre before I put it on the touchstone so that it could get a better/cleaner/closer connection.

After I read this thread, I decided that maybe I had gotten a defective touchstone and I would have to try to return it to the Verizon store the following weekend. I gave up, left the touchstone on my desk, and put my cover back on my phone, feeling like maybe I had wasted money on the touchstone. (And hoping Verizon would switch it out for me even though I didn't have the box or a receipt.)

Later, I wanted to leave my phone on my desk where I coud see it / find it, so I threw it down on top of the touchstone, figuring it wouldn't charge with the cover on, but at least I would know where my phone was. And lo and behold, it sat there charging perfectly until it hit 100%. Having the cover on there made the difference! I guess it was like what someone else said about putting a piece of paper between the pre and the touchstone? It sounded silly at the time so I didn't try it, but I really should have!

So - my simple solution if you're having trouble with your touchstone would be to try putting a cover on your phone, or even just putting something thin between the pre and the touchstone. It worked for me and I hope it will work for anyone else who finds this thread because they're having touchstone frustration.

I wanted to give you the link to the cover I have, in case anyone wanted to look at what materials it was made from that allowed the charge. It wouldn't let me put a link to the cover I bought, but I think you could find it on ebay if you searched for "hard rubber skin" and "palm pre." I bought it from a seller named everydaysource and it was $4.09 with free shipping. You could even look up this item number: 400119262096 . I'm not trying to sell for them or anything, but I like the cover and it made the touchstone work, so at least you can see what kind of cover I'm talking about.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmhnde3838 View Post
    Anyone else having problems with the touchstone? Mine will charge the Pre for a little then disconnect and make a noise, then will reconnect again. It repeats this over and over again. I can silence the Pre, but I don't really want to do have to do this. Plus, it doesn't charge very quickly via this method. I was also disappointed that you cannot connect the touchstone to a computer to charge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    This has happened to me several times. It sees the phone needs to be positioned just right. Sometimes at night it slips, and because I have it on vibrate, I wake up to a dead phone, but recharging solves the problem. I find the "sweet spot" by making sure the phone is centered and sliding it slowly down until the magnet is holding it tightly.
    I placed the warranty papers of the TS between my pre and TS and it resolved the cycling that occured every 2 seconds. Now I'm going to see how this thing handles my phone at 100% charge. I'm expecting the same behaviour as others. I think I will let my phone charge in the slip case that came with the pre though, as that is what I currently use and it also charges well while in it... just can't see the screen. Will also have to see if it gets too hot in there.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    My old touchstone had cycling, pinging, and discharging problems. When I replaced it, all the problems went away. I'm enjoying two working touchstones now. So if you're having issues, try to replace the unit to see if the problem goes away. I guess some people have more complicated issues between interactions between their phones and their touchstones, but I think most people just have a defective touchstone unit.
    I have two touchstones, one works fine the other one started to have cycling issues after a couple months of use. It was clear to me that its that particular touchstone and not my pixi. So i took the touchstone and hit the (top) palm logo hard on the palm of my hand several times. It has been working fine since. It seems to me that the charging mechanism inside isn't firmly positioned in there and it may be a little loose. Thats my fix, for pre users you may want to hit the bottom of the touchstone since there is a difference between the back covers and you may need more spacing.
    The touchstone I have now seems to charge flawlessly to 100%, and then starts pinging every two seconds or so. If I don't remov3e it, it stays @ 100%. Has been driving my insomniac wife crazy the last few nights. Might try the paper trick...

--MGb
    I've been celebrating big time here! My Touchstone stopped working about a month ago after I unplugged it. Plugged it back in and DEAD. Tried everything I could think of including asking techy friends - nothing worked. Today I did Live Chat with Palm Support. After an hour plus of playing around with plugging/unplugging/testing/repositioning/etc., my TS was pronounced dead. Palm is sending me a new TS. So, then I came back to this web site just trolling for info. I read CONOZO's report from this week where he was able to "fix" his TS by hitting it on his hand a few times. So, I thought, what the heck? My TS is dead, new one coming, what can I lose? So, I slammed the top of the TS down on a pad of paper several times. Plugged the TS back in and the sucker is working!!! Unbelievable! Thanks CONOZO! Now I'll have to deal with the other cycling issues etc., but cool, it's working!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgbmusic View Post
    The touchstone I have now seems to charge flawlessly to 100%, and then starts pinging every two seconds or so. If I don't remov3e it, it stays @ 100%. Has been driving my insomniac wife crazy the last few nights. Might try the paper trick...

--MGb
    I would try and get it replaced by your carrier and if they won't go thru Palm.

The wife and I bought 2 stones at the same time from VZW, then bought 2 backs from Sprint... had the 100% charge issue on mine only. Being the kinda guy I am and having access to enough bits to do control tests, I put my phone on the wife's TS and her phone on mine (did not change any other variables). My phone worked as it should on hers and her phone did the 100% charge and tweak on mine. Exchanged the bad stone with VZW, has been fine since the exchange.
    I purchased an O2 Palm Pre Plus 2 days ago and have had problems with the Touchstone since day one. It charges for 5 seconds then disconnects and goes through this continuous cycle. I have no idea what can be done to fix this. I have heard a reset and placing paper under the battery (no idea how that makes sense). Will have a play around and let guys know if I manage to solve it.
    mydan99 ..... are you using any kind of case on the Pre? I would then say to first exchange the touchstone, if easily done also exchange the back. It removes it from being a controlled test if you replace both at the same time.... but I would put odds on replacing both fixing the problem if it is TS related and not battery or Internal Pre related.
    I have the same problem. I put my phone in the evening on the stone. And he begins to charge it. In the morning the battery is only 50% charged. If I take the phone back down again on the stone, he charge it back to 100%.
    Furthermore, the backplate of the phone while charging very hot.
    Is there the backplate of the phone or the touchstone broken?
    My TS doesn't work on 2nd day I got pre. Anyone know how to test wether TS or back cover problem. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gmhnde3838 View Post
    Anyone else having problems with the touchstone? Mine will charge the Pre for a little then disconnect and make a noise, then will reconnect again. It repeats this over and over again. I can silence the Pre, but I don't really want to do have to do this. Plus, it doesn't charge very quickly via this method. I was also disappointed that you cannot connect the touchstone to a computer to charge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I have three touchstones. One came with the phone and I bought 2 on the internet --- 1 came from verizon. The one from verizon did not have the clear plastic lid that was on the att versions. The verizon one has been extremely touchy, and I've had to get rid of it. the other ones work for a while and then start beeping. Because this has gotten worse over time, I suspect that perhaps the phone or the touchstone have gotten dirty and are not connecting correctly. I do not know the right way to clean them, though.
    No problem with either of my touchstones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
    Bump again, I'd like to be able to charge my phone in the bedroom.
    I think the alarm clock feature is adorable, and do charge in my bedroom and use the phone to see what time it is. If the clock doesn't come on, I figure that I've mis-seated the touchstone (yet again). My husband has finally been trained to bump the phone when it starts to beep in the night. Wish it wouldn't do that.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast