Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I've had a Pre for 4 months with 2 touchstone chargers, home and office.

Apart from the occasional - and apparently random - 'usual' 100% charge notification issue I didn't have any charging issues.

Suddenly last week the phone would not charge on either touchstone. I initially assumed it must be something to do with the backcover but two new covers later still no inductive charging.

I'm on OS 1.3.5.2 (World Ready 1.2) and would dearly love it to be a software issue.

Anybody have any more insights?

morgmel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Yeah, I've just recently noticed a problem that sounds the same with mine also, specifically, that my phone doesn't always charge from the Touchstone. And I have two, one at work and one at home; I've observed the problem with both of them.

Specifically, sometimes, when I put the phone on the Touchstone, it just doesn't charge. A reboot fixes this, whether it's sitting on the Touchstone or not when I reboot it.

I've also noticed once that my Pre seemed not to charge when I plugged in the micro-usb plug with the third-party car charger-to-USB outlet thingy I have. I can't quite be sure of that, having just maybe noticed it once, but I'll keep an eye out for it to happen again.

I've noticed all of these things in the last week and a half or less.

The potentially confounding thing is that I got a replacement Pre some 3-ish weeks ago, so I don't think I can rule out the possibility that there's just something wrong with the replacement Pre's charging systems.

The possibility someone brought up of this being a 1.3.5.1 issue is intriguing, but I find myself wondering whether software can affect how the physical process of battery-charging works. Can anyone shed any light into that possibility?

EDIT: I reported the problem into a related thread on the Palm Support forum: Pre - won't charge w/ Touchstone...? - webOS Hardware - Palm Support Community
    Just throwing a bit more data into the confusing pile. I noticed today at work, that, on getting to work (so, the phone hasn't been on the office TS since Friday afternoon, and now I'm talking about Monday morning), when I first put the phone on the TS, it doesn't charge...Today I was distracted, so I left it there for a bit while I worked on something.

About a minute later, it finally reacted and reported that it was charging. When I removed it from the TS, it took about a minute for the Pre to report that it was no longer charging. Back on, back off...same thing for a few rounds. Finally, I rebooted it, and then its reaction time is back to normal.

Hm, maybe all along (well, since I started noticing the problem), it would have charged/recognized/reported that it was charging eventually, and I'd just never let it sit long enough...

All the same, the minute-long reaction time is still a problem, and a new one.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    try rebooting the pre. My 1st TS stopped working after 2 days and I replaced it. Now the recharging issues that others are talking about are occurring. My Pre plus was making funny sounds and then stopped recharging all together. I rebooted my pre and it's working now. Guess it's a software issue more than hardware. Hope Palm fixes this! otherwise, I'll recharge the old fashion way using the cord.
    rebooting does indeed fix the problem
    thanks
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    re: using paper to separate TS and Pre:

Yes, thanks. That seems to prevent the continuous recycling. ?Bad flaw. This is my second TS so I don't want to go through sending it back to amazon. Resetting once seemed to help.
    Palm' has some detailed help. At least they have some detailed instructions and a way to notify them if it doesn't work.
    Last edited by ewl88; 02/03/2010 at 06:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Re: notifying palm.

check palm's support and they have a help file for touchstone. Under device info, touch on preferences and there is a interactive test and there is a test for power and there is a touchstone option. If it doesn't work, there is a button to notify palm. I assume this info will help palm to troubleshoot this problem
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    My touchstone's been acting up for about a week or two. A reset has fixed it everytime. I just went to palms website and followed their instructions to test the touchstone. Everything checked out fine.

I guess the question now is: Where do I go from here? Replace touchstone? Or is it a software glitch?
    Just throwing a bit more data into the confusing pile. I noticed today at work, that, on getting to work (so, the phone hasn't been on the office TS since Friday afternoon, and now I'm talking about Monday morning), when I first put the phone on the TS, it doesn't charge...Today I was distracted, so I left it there for a bit while I worked on something.

About a minute later, it finally reacted and reported that it was charging. When I removed it from the TS, it took about a minute for the Pre to report that it was no longer charging. Back on, back off...same thing for a few rounds. Finally, I rebooted it, and then its reaction time is back to normal.

Hm, maybe all along (well, since I started noticing the problem), it would have charged/recognized/reported that it was charging eventually, and I'd just never let it sit long enough...

All the same, the minute-long reaction time is still a problem, and a new one.
    Hmm, the minute-long reaction time is now gone, and it seems to all back to normal. I haven't done anything that I'd have taken to be intentionally fixing this problem. I have definitely had to reset the phone for various reasons a bunch of times since my last post...but...

I dunno, I'll just keep an eye out for further weirdness and in the meantime, try that interactive test just to try it. At this point, I've gotten the interactive test all the way to the point where I'm supposed to put the phone on the touchstone. I've done that...but there's no feedback on the screen that suggests that anything is happening. It hasn't given me the "Charging battery" text/chime, and there's only a "skip" button on-screen. On the other hand, waiting till the screen turns off does have it changing to the "asleep on the touchstone" screen (the one with the notifications showing). We'll see what happens next, I guess.
    Palm's support page for the phone not charging with the Touchstone, found here
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Phone not charging with Touchstone charging dock
    has this to say about running the interactive test
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm
    # Test the charging dock:

1. Open Device Info and tap More Info.
    2. Open the application menu, tap Interactive Tests, and then tap Power.
    3. Tap Skip on the first two screens: Keyboard Test and Keyboard Slider. (Some phone models do not have a sliding keyboard.)
    4. Check the Touchstone box.
    5. Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the test, and note whether the charging dock responds during the test.
    6. If the charging dock did not respond during any part of the test, tap Send Results to send an anonymous report to Palm.

# If you are still experiencing problems, contact your wireless service provider for assistance, and tell the support representative what you observed during the Interactive Tests.
    There's no indication of what we *should* observe during the test, or how the charging dock should "respond", but as I indicated above, I got to a static screen with "skip" on the screen, and if I click on that, then it just says that the test is done. I see no way to tell whether the test was passed or not.

Anyone?
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Phone not charging with Touchstone charging dock

There's no indication of what we *should* observe during the test, or how the charging dock should "respond", but as I indicated above, I got to a static screen with "skip" on the screen, and if I click on that, then it just says that the test is done. I see no way to tell whether the test was passed or not.

Anyone?
    you dont need to tap more info , that is a typo so ignor it please!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

Anyone?
    if it did not show you an error then there was no error !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if it did not show you an error then there was no error !
    But...how do you know when it's done? or even that it's doing anything? Or how long it's supposed to take? If I leave it alone, it just goes to sleep, and when I wake it back up, however long later, it looks the same...maybe it did something, maybe it didn't, no way to tell, right?
    Just to add more confusion to the mix, I had purchased 3 TS for my pre plus (home, vehicle and work). I took a very long drive yesterday and noticed the TS in my vehicle was doing the on-off thing after it was fully charged. So I took the TS out of my vehicle and brought it inside. I plugged it directly into the wall outlet and after 10-20 minutes, it did the same thing. I then quickly swapped the TS with the one in my house (using the same power cord) and the problem did not return. I'm planning on returning the defective one soon.

Another thing to note, if your vehicle does not have a direct socket to the battery, I believe this may be causing some problems as well. Today I noticed that when I put my pre on the TS (in my vehicle), it begins to charge, but when I turn on my parking lights, the pre does the beep and indicates that it's charging. My parking lights don't dim anything in the car and I've tried to use different power-outlets, same thing. As long as I keep the lights on or off, it doesn't do this. If I draw current from the outlet it's plugged in on, I believe the Pre is overly sensitive to detect a slight hiccup or lower current during the charge.

UPDATE: One thing I do remember was that the back of the Pre+ was really warm to almost hot (on the defective TS). On my other TS units, my pre gets a little warm, but not nearly as warm as the one I had problems with. For anyone else who is having this problem, check if the back of your phone is hot. If so, I'm beginning to think that if the back of the phone gets hot, it may change the backplate's flexibility and/or shape slightly enough to cause it to be off. Granted, this is a long shot, but I deal with servers and computers all day long. I know when these systems get hot, their frames tweak a little and can cause problems. I'm wondering if the backplate on the Pre gets hot enough, it will bend inward a little (from the weight of the phone), causing the back of the phone to get closer to the coils - which is why other people are finding the fix to be padding space with paper or plastic.
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 02/04/2010 at 10:01 PM.
    i just purchase my touchstone from amazon few days ago brand new...im also having the 100% charge problem where the phone keeps saying charging, then stops, then charging over and over. It only happens when the battery gets close to 100%. When its below 95%, it charges fine.
    @shadowhawk-----it only takes a few minuets to do if it takes longer just hold the phone and keep it awake until you know its done lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Have had two touchstones for 6 months, no issues with either. The one I use at home I use every night, the other is at work and I use it rarely. Out of the blue, the home TS stopped working last week. Placing the Pre on the TS results in no change--no notification of charging occurring. Placing the Pre on the other TS works fine. I find this so odd--after 6 months of trouble free performance, what could have "broken" in the TS to cause it to stop charging?
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeman View Post
    Does anybody know how to get the screen to completly shutoff when the touchstone is charging? my clock stays on no matter what and i'm afraid i'll burn the image into the screen if I leave it on the stone all night.
    I find that the worst thing about this problem is that the phone won't stay locked, either. Once the phone starts giving the "charging" alert over and over it unlocks. I can usually eventually get it to stop by taking it off the touchstone and putting it back several times, monkeying with how it hangs on there and waiting to see if I get the alert again. BUT even then I will get the alert again later and the phone unlocks itself.

I thought at first that it was nice that the phone has such an ingenious locking system. "Surely," I thought, "now I won't have problems with my phone unlocking and calling people." But since it spontaneously unlocks (not just when it's on the charger, but repeatedly when it is), it does indeed end up calling people sometimes from a pocket. I bought a holster when I bought my phone, but since I bought it online, I did not know I was going to get a worthless plastic holster designed to eject my phone even if it did not break. Thanks! I haven't used it at all because of that; I'm waiting to be able to get a real leather holster like I thought I was buying.
    Quote Originally Posted by swalker007 View Post
    Have had two touchstones for 6 months, no issues with either. The one I use at home I use every night, the other is at work and I use it rarely. Out of the blue, the home TS stopped working last week. Placing the Pre on the TS results in no change--no notification of charging occurring. Placing the Pre on the other TS works fine. I find this so odd--after 6 months of trouble free performance, what could have "broken" in the TS to cause it to stop charging?
    I've had this happen, too; I only have one TS charger. Reseating the usb cable usually does the trick. (Unplug the usb cable from the plug and from the TS and then plug it back into both). There was one time that this did not work (it was kind of weird), and I had to perform a hard reboot of the phone (completely shut down the phone, remove the battery for 5-10 minutes, then replace the battery and bring the phone back up) to get it working again. Obviously in your case if the problem is the phone and not the charger it would not work on either charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    I must say, the Touchstone is one unusually behaving accessory. My first TS always had that problem after reaching 100% charge. My second TS worked without that problem for all of two days; it started doing that last night. When I called Palm support because of my first TS, the agent told me it's supposed to do that (just to let me know that it's hit 100% charge, which I consider to be a ridiculous answer and an obvious design flaw if it's the truth). Anyway, I'm considering turning this new one for a second replacement TS, but at this point I'm not very hopeful about the thing.
    The agent's answer can't be right, because when the phone is charging via usb it does not act that way at all. The continuous loop of "charging" alert *only* happens on the touchstone.
    I only had this problem after I bought an extra old-skool battery off the net.

When the official Palm battery is in, it works great. When the substitute battery is in, I get the notifications.

This leads me to believe that it is some sort of physical connection error between the battery and the battery door - it is proven that Palm recently physically updated their Palm Pre batteries (as evidenced here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-palm.html) so, for everyone in this thread with battery issues, click the link and then check your battery: do you have the old style battery or the new style?

Perhaps buying a new style battery will solve your problems.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast