Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I tried fixing this problem by moving one of the coils inside the touchstone slightly. Didn't fix it. Will try the other coil over the next couple of days.

But I did take lots of photos of the surgery:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-surgery.html

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I put my new touchstone on a wooden table for a 2-day period. I noticed it was extremely hard to move. When I finally had to pick it up to pack it, it wouldn't come up. I had to slide my ID under the base to free it. Once I freed it, it ripped a semi-circle of paint up with it and has the paint stuck on the bottom now! It wasn't in a warm atmosphere or anything!

I really hope warranty or sprint can do something about this. It won't stay on my table when I pick up my pre now. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by driv3thru View Post
    I put my new touchstone on a wooden table for a 2-day period.

Once I freed it, it ripped a semi-circle of paint up with it and has the paint stuck on the bottom now! It won't stay on my table when I pick up my pre now. Ugh.
    Did you try taking a wet cloth and wiping the bottom to see if you can get the paint off?
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When I go to sit my Pre on the TS I hold it away about a half inch and let the magnet pull it onto the charger. If you don't feel the magnet pulling it in, you don't have it positioned right.
    I place my Pre on the touchstone horizontally and I wiggle it around a little until I feel the magnets grip "just right" and have never had any issues with it.
    FYI,....

I had this happen to me as I tried to plug my palm pre using a non-pre cable (power cord for the rant for example, or the blackberry tour)....

You have to use USB cable and the USB power thing that the palm pre came with...try that then let me know if that solved the problem. It sure did for me!!

GOOD LUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Did you try taking a wet cloth and wiping the bottom to see if you can get the paint off?
    I did after you mentioned it, but it didn't work.

I was able to chip away some of the paint with my fingernail, but I'm pretty sure the texture is now ruined.

The water helped the adhesive though. Thanks. I'm still going to see if I can exchange it though. Damn. If I just would've waited until I got back to my house to use it.....
    mine has problems with charging after it reaches 100% - but the magnets are so strong that I can turn it upside down and the phone stays on there so long as it is in the correct place on the TS

the best thing about the TS is the new battery cover you get, I like it way better then the glossy one - it feels like the Zune
    the problem was fixed with 1.3.5 and now it is broken again with 1.3.5.1

I have 6 Pre's and all 6 of them were fixed after the update to 1.3.5 but after I updated them to 1.3.5.1 they are broken again
    Mine just started doing this today, every two seconds or so it makes the bing bing sound and if stops making the sound it is because it has stopped charging at all. I tried the paper trick mentioned in a previous post with no luck, also took the back off and cleaned the contacts.

If anyone has figured out a solution to this problem I would love to know it.
    When I place the phone on the TS at night, it notifies me that it is charging. Fine. But, about half the time, I wake in the morning to see that it had stopped charging and the battery has less than (sometimes MUCH less than) a 100% charge. If I remove the phone from the TS and place it back on, it DOES NOT begin charging again.

The ONLY thing that I've found to get the thing to start charging again is to restart/reboot/reset the phone. I then place it on the TS and all is good...until the next night...may or may not fully charge and stay charged.

Anyone else??
    I bought a touchstone with my pre on launch day. The touchstone has basically stopped charging the phone. I know it has a one year warranty and Sprint handles manufacturer warranty for phones, do they also handle the warranty on accessories like this?
    timbenson - you are not alone. I experience exactly what you describe, only not as frequently. It has happened to me maybe about 5 times over the past 3 months. But like you, the only thing I found to get it to start charging again is to restart the phone. I thought it might be the back, and experimented with removing and reinstalling the back, but no luck. A single restart does it - no need to remove the battery.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post
    the problem was fixed with 1.3.5 and now it is broken again with 1.3.5.1

I have 6 Pre's and all 6 of them were fixed after the update to 1.3.5 but after I updated them to 1.3.5.1 they are broken again
    Same with me. Was happy the problem went away, too bad it was only fixed for a couple weeks. I have 2 touchstones and my phone does this on both. Seems to happen more after phone and charger get warm and sometimes when I reach 100% battery it starts up. Sucks at night because I was using my phone as my alarm clock.
    I have mine since launch and it just started to happen to me at first it stopped charging and i was getting ready to bring it to my sprint store when i read a thread that said to reboot phone which worked for me. Now i charge overnight and wake up to a dead battery happened twice since 1.35.1

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by timbenson View Post
    When I place the phone on the TS at night, it notifies me that it is charging. Fine. But, about half the time, I wake in the morning to see that it had stopped charging and the battery has less than (sometimes MUCH less than) a 100% charge. If I remove the phone from the TS and place it back on, it DOES NOT begin charging again.

The ONLY thing that I've found to get the thing to start charging again is to restart/reboot/reset the phone. I then place it on the TS and all is good...until the next night...may or may not fully charge and stay charged.

Anyone else??
    I have exactly the same problem. This is my third Pre. Phones 2 & 3 both did this. Phone #1 didn't live long enough to try it with the touchstone. I guess I'll try to get a new touchstone kit from Sprint.....
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I have the same problem. what do you guys recommend i do to get it replaced? where should i go? who should i talk to?

Thanks,.
    Picked up my Pre last week, and the touchstone yesterday. I was warned about a problem with it constantly popping up with charging battery in the notification area, prayed mine was gonna be alright...but it wasn't. Had that exact problem, no matter how it was seated. So I was reading around and found a post on the O2 forums about the paper trick, further down however someone mentioned that better than that, try it with the plastic cap that came with the TS. Hey presto, mine now works. Although this is far from ideal, I will be taking the kit back to O2 at some point when I can get there.

Those trying with the paper, make sure it's folding 3 or 4 times so it's pretty thick.
    On my 3rd Pre and 3rd touchstone, still had same problem as all above but fixed it with the paper trick. I now have a small rubber like sticker on the back, designed to stop the phone from sliding around when left on the dash of your car or your desk. This works fine for me, the touchstone charges as it should

However for the last 2 mornings when I take the phone off the touchstone it will not charge again for a couple of hours or until I do a battery pull. This morning I was sitting in traffic I picked u the phone to check a message and the phone started to charge in my hand, at least the charging symbol came on! 3 - 4 minutes later it went off again. Phone charged normally from my PC in work!

O2 Ireland have directed me to Palm, Palm have directed me to O2, no-one seems to know where to go? I'm about to try Palm live chat tomorrow, so we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by timbenson View Post

Anyone else??
    Yeah, I've just recently noticed a problem that sounds the same with mine also, specifically, that my phone doesn't always charge from the Touchstone. And I have two, one at work and one at home; I've observed the problem with both of them.

Specifically, sometimes, when I put the phone on the Touchstone, it just doesn't charge. A reboot fixes this, whether it's sitting on the Touchstone or not when I reboot it.

I've also noticed once that my Pre seemed not to charge when I plugged in the micro-usb plug with the third-party car charger-to-USB outlet thingy I have. I can't quite be sure of that, having just maybe noticed it once, but I'll keep an eye out for it to happen again.

I've noticed all of these things in the last week and a half or less.

The potentially confounding thing is that I got a replacement Pre some 3-ish weeks ago, so I don't think I can rule out the possibility that there's just something wrong with the replacement Pre's charging systems.

The possibility someone brought up of this being a 1.3.5.1 issue is intriguing, but I find myself wondering whether software can affect how the physical process of battery-charging works. Can anyone shed any light into that possibility?

EDIT: I reported the problem into a related thread on the Palm Support forum: http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...&thread.id=630
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 01/20/2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added Palm Support URL
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Interesting stuff.

I began having issues last night, I've had two TS since launch in the UK mid October. I've always suffered from the 100% charge issue - it really annoyed my wife when the phone came out of sleep during the night.

But last night at home, the TS wouldnt work at all. I placed it on the charger as usual and it would connect, disconnect, connect over and over again. I had a copy innocase on the phone so I took that off and it was fine. Got to work this AM and the same thing again, but with no case.

So I just popped to o2, and tried it on their 3 display TS's. Once of them would do the repeating trick, the other two were fine. So we grabbed a new TS from stock and that did it also...very odd. So we replaced the back and it now works just fine. I'm at 100% battery and its been on the TS for about an hour - so looking good so far - its not even coming out of sleep!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast