Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is what you get when you cross paths with a Palm Touchstone, a Sprint branded Pre car charger, a ProClip vehicle mount, some industrial strength double-sided tape & a dremel tool.

There you have it. And yes folks, it's pretty darn strong & secure (even for typing on, messing with the touchscreen, etc) if you place the Pre on the Touchstone in the correct position. Best thing I've found is to lay the Pre sorta in the middle of the Touchstone then slide it downwards until the phone is stiff as a board.

I have an integrated Motorola T605 Bluetooth car kit that's stereo A2DP & handsfree capable with controls, so that means I hardly ever have to touch the Pre unless I'm getting directions or something.
    Very nice. Now come do that to my car. =P
    Follow Me On

Nice..... now go clean the crap out of your floors!!!

Seriously ... good job!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Awesome...wanna come do that for me?
    Like that dash mount. But you need to take a trash bag to the passenger floor. Tell us what happens when you take a hard sudden turn or hit a big pothole and so on.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I thought i read somewhere that the car charger doesn't have enough power for the touchstone? This looks amazing!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Tell us what happens when you take a hard sudden turn or hit a big pothole and so on.
    I've spent the last hour driving over every pothole I can see, plowing through some rough country-like roads, taking sharp curves, driving like a person who just escaped from an insane asylum, etc & much to my glee, this thing hasn't moved at all. And this is while I have been fiddling with the touchscreen, keyboard & so on.

Both the magnets & the double-sided tape seem to be doing their job. And that ProClip mount aint going anywhere. Its pretty much a part of my dash (they make STRONG stuff that gets wedged into the dash).

P.S. Sorry about the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I thought i read somewhere that the car charger doesn't have enough power for the touchstone? This looks amazing!
    Nope. It charges like a champ. I made sure of it.

Oh, and thanks!
    Last edited by peestandingup; 06/09/2009 at 08:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    I've spent the last hour driving over every pothole I can see, plowing through some rough country-like roads, taking sharp curves, driving like a person who just escaped from an insane asylum, etc & much to my glee, this thing hasn't moved at all. And this is while I have been fiddling with the touchscreen, keyboard & so on.

Both the magnets & the double-sided tape seem to be doing their job. And that ProClip mount aint going anywhere. Its pretty much a part of my dash (they make STRONG stuff that gets wedged into the dash).

P.S. Sorry about the mess.

Nope. It charges like a champ. I made sure of it.

Oh, and thanks!
    Also what type of car do you drive? you might have a "plush" ride
    I get everything I ordered tomorrow for my setup. I will post pics as well.

Nice work!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    You just need a car charger that outputs 1 amp. Most only seem to do .5 amp.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Question for Peestandingup. (lol)

Does speakerphone work while driving? It's not the loudest so I am not sure. I am getting a deck that has BT hands free anyways but I was just wondering.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Question for Peestandingup. (lol)

Does speakerphone work while driving? It's not the loudest so I am not sure. I am getting a deck that has BT hands free anyways but I was just wondering.
    If you have Bluetooth On & a bluetooth hands-free car kit w/ a mic, then the audio comes through that.

If you dont have that setup in your car or you do but turn Bluetooth Off, then the speakerphone does indeed work (it actually turns on by default when you are using a Touchstone & make a call). The speaker on the back is exposed (not covered up by the Touchstone) & is loud & clear.

Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    Also what type of car do you drive? you might have a "plush" ride
    I drive a new model VW Jetta Wagen.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    If you have Bluetooth On & a bluetooth hands-free car kit w/ a mic, then the audio comes through that.

If you dont have that setup in your car or you do but turn Bluetooth Off, then the speakerphone does indeed work (it actually turns on by default when you are using a Touchstone & make a call). The speaker on the back is exposed (not covered up by the Touchstone) & is loud & clear.

I drive a new model VW Jetta Wagen.

Great thanks.
    i dont like that spot i want to see it while driving
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by precrack View Post
    i dont like that spot i want to see it while driving
    You can see it plain as day. Here's a better shot taken from the driver's perspective, no zoom on the camera.

Now, you're not gonna be reading small web text in a browser or anything like that (but you dont need to be doing that while driving anyway), but for most stuff (music, maps, vids, browsing through your apps, etc) then it's tops.

But if you needed to do that small text stuff, hell, just take it off the Touchstone & put it back on when you're done.
    Last edited by peestandingup; 06/09/2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Nice set up. I have an AC inverter installed in my vehicle and a large flat center console so I'm going to buy another touchstone and do something similar.
    Wow. SO doing that. Perfect solution to my problems of charging my Pre.

EDIT: I'll prolly buy the ProClip vent piece. I'd rather have my phone up there personally. I only worry about the 3.5mm jack though since I use my Pre for music as well...
    Last edited by beret9987; 06/10/2009 at 12:24 AM.
  18. joelpalm
    Man, that is SWEET! If my car wasn't such a piece, I would totally do something like that.
    Thank you. I knew the guy that said it wouldn't work with DC was wrong. My 1amp charger shipped today, so now I need a Touchstone or two.

The question I have is how the setup handles the heat in a car. I have an iGrip in the vent and that is a better position for me. I'll have to see if a combo of iGrip and TS would work. Glad to hear the magnets are working though. I gotta charge a jawbone too, so I will need to customize my setup.

How does the Motorola work through the stereo? I have a 3.5mm input to my decks AUX, but that doesn't seem like it would deal with switching between CDs or Tuner, but just if I was streaming Pandora or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Thank you. I knew the guy that said it wouldn't work with DC was wrong. My 1amp charger shipped today, so now I need a Touchstone or two.

The question I have is how the setup handles the heat in a car. I have an iGrip in the vent and that is a better position for me. I'll have to see if a combo of iGrip and TS would work. Glad to hear the magnets are working though. I gotta charge a jawbone too, so I will need to customize my setup.

How does the Motorola work through the stereo? I have a 3.5mm input to my decks AUX, but that doesn't seem like it would deal with switching between CDs or Tuner, but just if I was streaming Pandora or something.
    I'm using a vent mount too. I figure we'll have to use some type of ultra high strength industrial double sided tape, if we're running the heater. Thats actually another issue. The Pre lets off enough heat already, should we really be adding to it??
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast