Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    So the deal is that the folks in the store are still trying to find a car charger that gives enough juice to the touchstone to charge the Pre with it -- so far their tests have had sporadic success but it appears that both the charger AND the car can make things not work.

So with that said: this may not work for you!

For me, it's working.

I just used a generic iGrip car mount to 'grab' the touchstone.

http://store.precentral.net/igrip-un.../3A78A1742.htm

Eventually I'll probably have to DIY something just because I don't trust the touchstone to hang on to the Pre with bumps, I want it integrated into some sort of 'cradle' to hold the pre with a touchstone integrated into it.

To charge the touchstone / Pre, I tried lots of different chargers but so far the one that's actually working for me is the Motorola one -- it's nice but it has an annoying big blue light -- thankfully I have a car charger in my center console on my Mazda 3 so I don't have to stare at it.

http://store.precentral.net/motorola.../5A47A3044.htm

Since I'm also using a BlackBerry Music Gateway for music, this means all I need to do is get in, set the Pre on the touchstone, launch music, and away I go!

http://store.precentral.net/blackber...11A75A3579.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I agree. I'll have to see if Radio Shack has a extension cable that meets this need. The standalone adapters just present more problems.
    I was in the same situation as you... I found Radio Shack did not have what you were looking for.. They do sell a standalone adapter.. I ended up ordering the following:

Hosa Technology
    Stereo Mini Male to Stereo Angled Mini Male Cable - 3'

It's angled on one end, straight on the other and was $4.95 from B&H Photo.

ALSO -- for those looking for the Palm adapter -- Radio Shack, $29
    OK, I finally got car charging setup done after ordering and subsequently waiting for a couple of third-party car chargers that didn't work. I finally sucked it up and went to the Sprint store to buy theirs. I should've bought theirs in the first place and saved the dough.

I had the windshield gooseneck still lying around from one of Seidio's Treo charging cradles. I removed the Seidio cradle and used their gooseneck as my platform, which left a flat plate where the mount once sat. To that I applied velcro, and put the mating velcro on the bottom of the Touchstone. Once I pick up two more Touchstones, one for the office and one for home, I'll replace the velcro with 3M double-backed mounting tape, but for now this works just fine.

I then realized that the Sprint charger's cable is rather short, which is good for standalone use but didn't allow me to mount my charger setup where I wanted to. I bought a cigarette lighter Y-adaptor to provide power to other devices simultaneously, then picked up a 10-foot cigarette lighter extension cord at Radio Shack. This gave me all the cable I needed to hide much of the wiring without having to cut, splice, etc.

This rocks! I've got the Motorola T505 to pipe the music and phone through my car stereo, and when I used Sprint Navigation en route home from Radio Shack it briefly drops the music to half volume whenever a navigation instruction is played. I've even taken my TomTom and put it in its case in storage -- no need to have two devices anymore.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Epic 4G -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Dieter,

Do you have any idea if there are any differences between they Moto charger you are using and the one they sell at Best Buy? Motorola - Loop Vehicle Charger for Select Motorola Cell Phones - 89143N

They look the same, but the model number is different. I tried it in their car install dept and it did both fit and charger through the TS. I'm currently using the Palm charger and it can't keep up when I use Nav and Pandora at the same time. Does your Moto charger keep or increase the charge while under heavy use? Thanks!
    The difference in price between that Moto charger at BB and the one at Sprint that charges quite well even while transferring data is $5. For that minor difference, why screw around? I learned my lesson but I was experimenting with $7.99 chargers, not $26.99 ones.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northward View Post
    The difference in price between that Moto charger at BB and the one at Sprint that charges quite well even while transferring data is $5. For that minor difference, why screw around? I learned my lesson but I was experimenting with $7.99 chargers, not $26.99 ones.
    I've got a $10 certificate for BB that I might as well use on something.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I've got a $10 certificate for BB that I might as well use on something.
    Fair.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by northward View Post
    Im not sure price is really a factor here though. Especially for that Sprint branded charger (which is probably made from cheap materials & you're paying for the name). Read my previous post & others about how its starting to flake out on us. Im gonna have to go with that Moto charger looks like.
    Dieter,

Do you have any idea if there are any differences between they Moto charger you are using and the one they sell at Best Buy? Motorola - Loop Vehicle Charger for Select Motorola Cell Phones - 89143N

They look the same, but the model number is different. I tried it in their car install dept and it did both fit and charger through the TS. I'm currently using the Palm charger and it can't keep up when I use Nav and Pandora at the same time. Does your Moto charger keep or increase the charge while under heavy use? Thanks!
    I have to do some more testing and also check the one I have. It wasn't doing the "ding on, ding off" stuff at all yesterday but this morning it did. :-(
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I have to do some more testing and also check the one I have. It wasn't doing the "ding on, ding off" stuff at all yesterday but this morning it did. :-(
    Thanks Dieter. I'm probably going to go pick up the Moto locally later today and see how it works. I would rather stay with the Palm if they charge at the same rate since that gives me a USB charging port in the car for other things.
    Note that the Palm car charger's USB has the same small opening as the Touchstone, so using it without modification won't work unless we find some small USB cables that work.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I am using the shaved end Sprint coiled cigarette charger and the TS, but phone gets hot. With TS on house wall plug it does not get hot.
    On my commute home tonight I put my Sprint branded car charger/TS rig to the test. I ran Sprint Nav, streamed Internet radio, and used Bluetooth A2DP and Headset profiles all at the same time. In my 15-minute drive I gained 3% on the Seidio 1350 mAH battery even with all of that running, so under a high drain situation it still appears to gain a percent or so every 5 minutes. As the Palm battery is 1150 mAH I'd expect that its percentage charge would rise slightly more quickly. It's therefore usable on a long trip when set up this way.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Anyone having trouble with heat in the car? I'm using a Motorola 89143N Loop Vehicle Charger with the TS. It works fine for the most part, but the last 2 days when I got in the car for the first time it just did the on/off thing. After a little while though, it started working fine again. The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't work properly when it's very hot. I'm in TN and the TS was in the sun and quite hot. After running the AC for a little while, the TS was just warm and worked again.

Anyone noticed this? Think the climate in the car will cause problems using the TS?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Anyone know the name of the OP's wallpaper or where it can be located?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Anyone having trouble with heat in the car? I'm using a Motorola 89143N Loop Vehicle Charger with the TS. It works fine for the most part, but the last 2 days when I got in the car for the first time it just did the on/off thing. After a little while though, it started working fine again. The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't work properly when it's very hot. I'm in TN and the TS was in the sun and quite hot. After running the AC for a little while, the TS was just warm and worked again.

Anyone noticed this? Think the climate in the car will cause problems using the TS?
    I def. believe the ding-ding is heat related issues on the charger side...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1706716
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    this is tooo awesome. i will be doing this this upcoming weekend.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by bridic View Post
    Anyone know the name of the OP's wallpaper or where it can be located?
    Here you go: ((Pre-Wallpapers.com)) Look No Further... The Best Palm Pre Wallpapers on the Internet. - Technology/Mac OS
    my sprint car charger just arrived from ebay. Weird tho, they sent me 2 chargers, (in 2 separate boxes) I checked and I only got charged for 1. Their mistake I guess. I'm going outside in a little to check them out. any info people would like to know about them?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast