Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The ProClip dash mounts are car specific. Go to their website(link is in my sig), on the left side is a button for vehicle mounts. Click on it and use the drop down menus to find your car. You'll probably have a few mounting options for your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eunox View Post
    What is the part # of the proclip you used?
    I found the Sprint Palm Car Charger on eBay for like 10 bucks w/ shpng. ($31.99 in store)

NEW OEM Sprint Palm Pre CAR CHARGER Micro USB - eBay (item 260426701858 end time Jul-10-09 15:42:41 PDT)

Would you trust these? Any cautions about buying these types of things from eBay? Price is cheap enough to take the risk? Legit?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    I found the Sprint Palm Car Charger on eBay for like 10 bucks w/ shpng. ($31.99 in store)

NEW OEM Sprint Palm Pre CAR CHARGER Micro USB - eBay (item 260426701858 end time Jul-10-09 15:42:41 PDT)

Would you trust these? Any cautions about buying these types of things from eBay? Price is cheap enough to take the risk? Legit?
    Not much to loose. I ordered one, so we will see! I would bet it's exactly the same as the one you buy in the sprint store.
    Any chance you could rotate the front surface so that the logo faces right side up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Any chance you could rotate the front surface so that the logo faces right side up?
    If you are talking about the OP's set up in the pictures, it wouldn't work turned right side up. The angle at which the touchstone lies wouldn't allow it to hold the phone when mounted to the dash. you need to have it upside down so the angle is horizontal enough to hold the phone in place.

On another note: I just ordered a Sprint "Palm Pre" Car charger from ebay. it should be here no later than sat seeing that its being shipped from 2 towns away from me. I will post back and let you guys know how well it works with the touchstone, (including all the specs written on it etc.) for anyone who is still wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The ProClip dash mounts are car specific. Go to their website(link is in my sig), on the left side is a button for vehicle mounts. Click on it and use the drop down menus to find your car. You'll probably have a few mounting options for your car.
    Thanks! Until I get my Pre, I think I'm going to get one of these for my existing phone.

Have you thought about getting one of their "Move Clips" so that you can remove the Touchstone when you're not using it?
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    If you are talking about the OP's set up in the pictures, it wouldn't work turned right side up. The angle at which the touchstone lies wouldn't allow it to hold the phone when mounted to the dash. you need to have it upside down so the angle is horizontal enough to hold the phone in place.
    I meant rotating just the top circular part, where the palm logo is written, while maintaining the angle... then again, that groove looks like part of the design, and not really a "screw-on-cap" type thing...

I'd probably just make a sticker (front-side laminate/back-side adhesive) and cover it up
    I meant rotating just the top circular part, where the palm logo is written, while maintaining the angle... then again, that groove looks like part of the design, and not really a "screw-on-cap" type thing...

I'd probably just make a sticker (front-side laminate/back-side adhesive) and cover it up
    haha, i kinda thought that's what u were talking about after i had posted. that would be a cool idea, let me know how applying a sticker works out if you decide to do that
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Man, that's a good reason to buy the tochstone. Never really saw a purpose for one until this. Might have to go and spend the $40 on one now.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I've seen videos of people sticking the TouchStone to many different surfaces, even rough wood, and the "gecko-feet" suction surface works on almost anything, it seems. That being the case, why did you use the 3M tape?

BTW, Palm sells their own car charger which comes with a fully-compatible TS cable, and TS pucks are available individually for $49.99, as well.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Ok, I scraped the end of my car charger down until it would fit in the touchstone. This is a car charger that works fine when plugged directly into the Pre. When I put the Pre on the TS, it just blinked charging on and off over and over. It was like the connection with the Pre was imperfect, but repositioning the Pre didn't help. Has anyone seen this? Is it just due to a bad cable connection inside the TS and maybe I need to doublecheck that? Or perhaps the cable isn't capable of high enough power output for the TS?

Just trying to figure out which direction to proceed...but I must have TS in the car!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Ok, I scraped the end of my car charger down until it would fit in the touchstone. This is a car charger that works fine when plugged directly into the Pre. When I put the Pre on the TS, it just blinked charging on and off over and over. It was like the connection with the Pre was imperfect, but repositioning the Pre didn't help. Has anyone seen this? Is it just due to a bad cable connection inside the TS and maybe I need to doublecheck that? Or perhaps the cable isn't capable of high enough power output for the TS?

Just trying to figure out which direction to proceed...but I must have TS in the car!
    Are you using the sprint branded charger with the yellow light? That is the one that is known to work. I just bought one at the sprint store and it works perfectly with my touchstone. It's the one marked for palm micro usb (doesnt say pre on it). Output is .85a and that is whats important.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply moe300. I was using one that I had from my 800w and Treo Pro which was purchased at Walmart. Works with the Pre but no go with the TS. Best Buy had both the official Palm charger and a Motorola charger that both fit the TS and worked. I picked up the Palm version since that gives me a USB charging port in the car as well.
  14.    #54  
    Yeah, I thought about this. I looked to see if the "top cap" was easily removable. And after seeing some of the dissection pics, it doesnt look like thats the case. I would have hated to get into it only to find it wouldnt work & end up hosing the whole Touchstone.

Quote Originally Posted by ackthbbft View Post
    I've seen videos of people sticking the TouchStone to many different surfaces, even rough wood, and the "gecko-feet" suction surface works on almost anything, it seems. That being the case, why did you use the 3M tape?
    That sticky layer that comes on the Touchstone isnt nearly solid enough to pull something like this off. It wont even stay vertical for long using it. Thats basically just good for say if you were using the TS on a flat, smooth surface. It would keep it from sliding around.

Plus, aside from using some kind of permanent glue (which I didnt want to do on account of it screwing up both the TS & my dash mount), the 3M tape I used is damn strong. I live in FL & its been hot as hell lately (like 100+) & the TS hasnt moved at all. Im confident I made the right decision with using the tape. Its "nearly permanent", but it could be undone (with some muscle) if you really wanted it off there.

Also to let you all know, I think my Sprint car charger I used in this setup is hosed now. It just stopped working altogether. On the Touchstone, off the Touchstone connected directly to my Pre, doesnt matter. Its dead.

I've heard on the forum of others having this same problem with these Sprint chargers, which leads me to believe they're just junky & prone to issues. So Im pretty sure it didnt die from the setup I was using it for.

So I guess Im gonna have to try to return it & either try another one or get the official Palm car charger. Hmmm.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I did this the first day I had the phone in my suburban... despite what others say about not providing enough power....

The sprint charger and the touchstone work perfect for an in car charger.
    Any one here test the charging ability of the Palm-branded car charger with Touchstone? I know it "works" in that the indicator lightning bolt shows up, but how well does it charge the phone?

BTW, I got the motorola one off ebay and it did the on/off dance with the Touchstone.
    Bit the bullet at BB for the $30 Palm-branded charger after the Motorola one did the on/off dance with Touchstone.

Did some nifty wiring IMHO to get the TS and AUX IN cable in position.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Out of curiosity -- do they not sell the Palm charger in Sprint stores or something? Im wondering why so many of you are using the Sprint one instead of the Palm.. The Sprint one only supplies 800 mA I believe, while the Palm supplies the full 1A, and doesn't require shaving down the end -- and as far as I can tell -- is cheaper then the $32 Sprint is asking for theirs.

Or do they only sell the Sprint-branded one? I bought my phone at Radio Shack and got the official Palm charger for $29 -- what does Sprint charge for them?

Also, keep in mind -- if you're ever in even a moderate accident, your phone will turn into a projectile inside the car.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Bit the bullet at BB for the $30 Palm-branded charger after the Motorola one did the on/off dance with Touchstone.

Did some nifty wiring IMHO to get the TS and AUX IN cable in position.
    Pretty good job, mate. If I were you, I'd get one of these 3.5mm right angle adapters to cut down on the audio jack sticking straight up. Make it a lot lower profile.

Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Out of curiosity -- do they not sell the Palm charger in Sprint stores or something? Im wondering why so many of you are using the Sprint one instead of the Palm.. The Sprint one only supplies 800 mA I believe, while the Palm supplies the full 1A, and doesn't require shaving down the end -- and as far as I can tell -- is cheaper then the $32 Sprint is asking for theirs.

Or do they only sell the Sprint-branded one? I bought my phone at Radio Shack and got the official Palm charger for $29 -- what does Sprint charge for them?
    No, I've never seen the original Palm car charger in Sprint stores. They sell their own "Sprint branded" ones. God knows who makes them. Probably some cheap ***** given some of the issues me & some others from the forum are having with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Pretty good job, mate. If I were you, I'd get one of these 3.5mm right angle adapters to cut down on the audio jack sticking straight up. Make it a lot lower profile.
    I agree. I'll have to see if Radio Shack has a extension cable that meets this need. The standalone adapters just present more problems.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast