Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have a clip from Brodit that I had been using for my Treo 650. Out of sheer curiosity I plopped my Pre into it...AND IT FIT. It's pretty snug, definately isnt going anywhere and doesnt really jostle around at all. So, if anyone has a Treo 650 Brodit clip go ahead and keep it =).
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I like this idea, one question.

Will the touchstone provide enough power to the phone to run multiple apps while not draining the battery and still charge it?

We know the touchstone takes a long time to charge the battery. So even though there is 1amp running to the touchstone how much is getting to the phone? I have no clue what the amp draw would be if you were running say Navigation and Pandora while driving. If you also want to charge the battery at the same time you have to give it more power then it is consuming.

So has anybody tried to run Pandora, telenav, and also have the battery charge at the same time through the touchstone? I know that the battery indicator will say charging but is it actually?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Will the touchstone provide enough power to the phone to run multiple apps while not draining the battery and still charge it?

We know the touchstone takes a long time to charge the battery. So even though there is 1amp running to the touchstone how much is getting to the phone? I have no clue what the amp draw would be if you were running say Navigation and Pandora while driving. If you also want to charge the battery at the same time you have to give it more power then it is consuming.

So has anybody tried to run Pandora, telenav, and also have the battery charge at the same time through the touchstone? I know that the battery indicator will say charging but is it actually?
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    I'm using a vent mount too. I figure we'll have to use some type of ultra high strength industrial double sided tape, if we're running the heater. Thats actually another issue. The Pre lets off enough heat already, should we really be adding to it??
    Yeah, I'll go slow on this while I continue to evaluate the phone's operation. I'll see if there is a better location. I had to use the trap door yesterday and I'm less afraid of it now, so who knows how I'll resolve this.

BTW, the little "feet" at the bottom of my iGrip slid out and disappeared. Any ideas on where to get/make replacements? Work on friction only now, but would like the extra protection if I don't get another TS.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hal3146 View Post

As far as I can tell, it charges just like it would at home using a wall charger. I have been using Pandora, Google Maps & Mail all at once & it still charges fairly quickly (looked in the device info at the battery percentage before & after).
    Love it!! just gotta decide if i want the proclip covering a vent, or intruding on the passenger.

Also, which car charger has the lowest profile, shortest cable to get a custom look.

thanks!
    Pretty sweet! I was thinking about doing something like this, but honestly I'm still afraid that one quick stop and there goes my Pre. I think i need something to suppor the Pre and make sure its not gonna go flying for peace of mind. Hopefully some company develops a touchstone where the pre slides/clips in or something.
    Do you know if the monoprice usb cable and cigarette lighter adapter will power the touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    Do you know if the monoprice usb cable and cigarette lighter adapter will power the touchstone?
    If it can supply 1A, then probably yes. (But from the answer below it can't supply the 1 amp)
    Last edited by johncc; 06/14/2009 at 08:06 AM.
    That's a sweet setup I might have to work on something like that as well. I have a 1amp charger already now just need to find and mount another touchstone . I don't want to carry the one back and forth from the house
    Thanks for this post. I'm trying to set up something similar... holy crap, that 3m adhesive is strong as hell. Never used it before.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    I tried and it didn't work.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I tried and it didn't work.
    The cable will, if you shave it down a little bit, but the USB car adapter will not. I'm just using an overpriced one from Sprint (shaved down the connector) and it works fine. Same one as pictured in the first post.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    WOnt it be funny if Palm suddenly came up with a touchstone car kit?
    I'm sure they will....
    palm m103 > palm m130 > palm TlX > 755p > PRE (FINALLY!!!!)
    I want to see some stress testing; go do a couple autocross runs!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdavis55 View Post
    I'm sure they will....
    I think they will by Christmas. I will take the one out of my car at that point and use it at home where I'm doing the USB thingy with my desktop.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    WOnt it be funny if Palm suddenly came up with a touchstone car kit?
    The truth is even if they do I would still use my current setup because I have the option of placement in multiple locations or just removing it altogether when I get home and using it in the house. Also for valet service or just leaving the car parked at the mall, I like the fact that I can just put it in the glove compartment. Out of sight, out of mind; of thieves that is!
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Like that dash mount. But you need to take a trash bag to the passenger floor. Tell us what happens when you take a hard sudden turn or hit a big pothole and so on.

that's what the trash is for; to cushion the blow of the phone falling.
    What is the part # of the proclip you used?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast