Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markinbright View Post
    Question for you all: Thinking about getting a touchstone to go with my Pre. Any experience sticking on surfaces that aren't totally smooth? e.g., the dashboard of a car? Wondering if the microsuction wouldn't work as well on a slightly rough or dimpled surface.
    It works OK on textured surfaces. I just tested it on some textured plastic and leather surfaces, it's moderately sticky.

The main think that kills adhesiveness is if the surface is too curved and causes the touchstone to be "wobbly."
    Does anybody know if this will take the finish off a super high-gloss wood desk? I have such a desk in my vacation place and that's the only spot to charge my phone on in my bedroom (no nightstands). I use a Touchstone at home, so I know how sticky the thing is.

I was just thinking about needing to get one for the other desk, but then thought about the finish on it. (It is the Parson's desk from West Elm, in case anybody is familiar with it. Red color [which they don't sell anymore].)
    I would be very wary of any fine finish that you don't want messed up. Considering how hard it was to pull off a glass desk just now, I'd say it's borderline dangerous for a shellac or other wood surface finish.

By borderline I mean, It's _easily_ strong enough to pull up some finishes if you try to pull it up fast and/or if you don't realise how much leverage is multiplying your force when you've got one side lifted and are peeling back towards the other.

If you lift on the front edge with a steady force that's not excessively hard, and don't worry that it doesn't appear to be doing anything, just keep a stead medium-high pull on the front, and after some seconds the very front edge will start to stretch and then seperate.

Once it starts to seperate and the point of contact moves back as you lift up , LESSEN YOUR UPWARD FORCE! Once it's partially lifted and peeling back like that, you are making a lever and a little force at your fingers on the front edge are making a lot of force at the contact point and you could rip up the finish without feeling like you are pulling very hard at all. So, Once it's started to seperate, don't even go by feel of force any more, instead go by time/speed. make it peel back very slowly even if it feels like very little resistance. Ignore the feel of resistence.

And gaging by what it does on glass in the worst-case scenario where the glass is clean and the touchstone is brand new, My best guess about the amount of force needed to get it started even while adhering to all the above admonitions, my best guess is I can't tell if it would rip up most finishes or not. It's right about exactly where I would imagine a wood finish beginning to give out, so I would imagine that it would separate from some ok if you're careful, and rip up some others no matter how careful you are.

So, it means 2 things:
    A: If someone currently already has a touchstone stuck to a finish they care about, don't panic, just proceed like above and you probably have a pretty good chance of getting it off without damage. Low-force, slow peel, wait a long time for it to even start separating.
    B: Given the choice, I would not stick a touchstone directly on any high gloss low texture surface I cared about.

Practicing on a piece of glass is probably a good idea come to think of it. You won't hurt the glass and the only way you could hurt the touchstone is maybe by pulling or prying so extremely hard & fast that the foam rips apart. Once you do the slow-light peel from glass you'll have a feel for how much force is required, and how little force it's possible to get away with and still get the job done, by trading less force for more time. Then you can make your own judgement about your desk based on what you felt on the glass.
    Last edited by KEYofR; 09/21/2009 at 06:04 PM.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    YES, it CAN! I have a brand new custom desk in my home office, and tried pulling up the Touchstone to move it. Not only did it take a 1/4" sized part of the clear-coat finish off, but chunks of the black "sticky" foam tore off the bottom, and I had to (gently) scrape it off my desk. I think the key is to make sure the Touchstone is NOT hot when you try to remove it, and go REAL slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Does anybody know if this will take the finish off a super high-gloss wood desk? I have such a desk in my vacation place and that's the only spot to charge my phone on in my bedroom (no nightstands). I use a Touchstone at home, so I know how sticky the thing is.

I was just thinking about needing to get one for the other desk, but then thought about the finish on it. (It is the Parson's desk from West Elm, in case anybody is familiar with it. Red color [which they don't sell anymore].)
    Thanks, but far too late, hehe. It did take a bit of the glossy finish off my desk, but it is likely only noticable to me and anybody who stares at that spot at a certain angle. Still, though, I put the Touchstone right back on the same exact spot and that is where it is staying for the rest of forever!

So, yeah, don't put it on such a surface unless you don't care about it or how it might look....
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    +1 for simple cleaning to rejuvenate the sticky bottom. I sprayed some generic glass cleaner on a paper towel and just did a couple of quick wipes. Works like new!

Also, to report on the problem of removing clear coat on desks / counter tops, I stick mine directly on my desk @ work with no problems. Its a mostly glossy finish. Looks to be veneer type finish over a pressed particle board base with a varnish type clear coat to top it off FWIF. No issues here....

I have it 'stuck' to the center console in my car, and normally it sticks really well. However I have noticed that if the temperature gets below freezing at night, it will be 'unstuck' when I first get in the car in the morning. A couple of times I have pulled out of the neighborhood quickly to beat traffic to have my phone and touchstone fly across the car. After the car warms up, the touchstone sticks itself back again. Just a friendly warning. :-)
    Thanks for the tips on rejuvenating the TS bottom. I have been fiddling with placement for a few days. The TS bottom lost some of its stickiness.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by markinbright View Post
    Question for you all: Thinking about getting a touchstone to go with my Pre. Any experience sticking on surfaces that aren't totally smooth? e.g., the dashboard of a car? Wondering if the microsuction wouldn't work as well on a slightly rough or dimpled surface.
    The problem I had was that in cold weather the adhesion fails, what I found that works well for attaching the TS to my dash is the "extreme Velcrose" that I purchased at Lowe's Hardware.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Thanks for the tips on rejuvenating the TS bottom. I have been fiddling with placement for a few days. The TS bottom lost some of its stickiness.
    The other tip I saw in another forum was using pieces of scotch tape to clean the sticky touchstone pad. Just put the tape on (sticky side down) and pull it off. It helps remove whatever gunk is making the Touchstone less sticky
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    I used the tape method. Wasn't scotch some other really clear tape. It wasn't sticking to my dash, so I stick the same tape on my dash and put the touchstone on the top of the tape. Works amazing.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12