Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I know there is another thread about this kinda

and I wont start duplicate emotional threads like this in the future, but this is so stupid. I just took for granted that Palm would inherently know how sweet it would be to have wireless charging especially in the car (no wires, who cares if you have a wire hanging under your desk, but in the car wtf?????).

You would also think that a company that has everything riding on this launch, needs to sell phones, apps, accessories (touchstones especially), etc... that they would be game for selling at least 50% more Touchstones (people buy one for the car and one for the desk like I did).

I can't believe that it is people's jobs to make this stuff and think of ways to make it better and they messed this up.
    I'm not trying to be rude, but did you think it would work ? They never said it would, never. I don't think anyone of us thought it would when we bought it.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Have you even been able to try it? The phone charger I got is branded Sprint, and the collar around the connector is just too wide to fit it into the touchstone slot. Is there a technical reason for preventing us from attempting a connection, or was this just an oversight such that carving down that collar might actually get the touchstone working in the car?

(Or can you get an extender for the microUSB to try it?)
    I think the current touchstone in a car is just asking for a lawsuit. Smoeone stops short, phone flies everywhere....guy sues Palm for not securing phone to touchstone.

Yeah....smarter not to have it work.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Ya your right, but for some reason I just took it for granted that everyone especially the designer and company making it would see how to make it truly reveloutionary.

Not that it matters but I was discussing it with the Sprint emp and she thought it worked in the car too and just told be to attach it with sticky Velcro
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    Ya your right, but for some reason I just took it for granted that everyone especially the designer and company making it would see how to make it truly reveloutionary.

Not that it matters but I was discussing it with the Sprint emp and she thought it worked in the car too and just told be to attach it with sticky Velcro
    It would be great if they came up with something, and I'm sure they will, they have said that the Touchstone will be a line of products, so I'm sure something will come
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I would not be surprised if we see a touchstone type device that secures to your dash or windshield more like a cradle vs. magnets.

This will also work as a navigation holder.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Have you even been able to try it? The phone charger I got is branded Sprint, and the collar around the connector is just too wide to fit it into the touchstone slot. Is there a technical reason for preventing us from attempting a connection, or was this just an oversight such that carving down that collar might actually get the touchstone working in the car?

(Or can you get an extender for the microUSB to try it?)
    I like your style. I will try now, but a guy in another thread tried doing an AC adapter in the car and then plugging in his wall charger and said it didn't have enough juice. The only hope is that the adaptor took a little power away and not that the car itsself doesn't produce enough elec to run the Touchstone.

As far as lawsuits go I hear ya, but they could of designed a mount that would hold the phone in place that has the Touchstone tech. This is still better than a regular mount bec there are no connectors to wear out or get stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude, but did you think it would work ? They never said it would, never. I don't think anyone of us thought it would when we bought it.

The very existence of this thread is proof of the opposite.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I would not be surprised if we see a touchstone type device that secures to your dash or windshield more like a cradle vs. magnets.

This will also work as a navigation holder.
    It needs to be a cradle that has wireless charging. Having connections to the actual phone has a lot of disadvantages.

They really need to just have something that can retro fit directly to the current Touchstone and save money on dev and other efficiencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
    The very existence of this thread is proof of the opposite.
    I could make a post asserting that I believe the moon is made of green cheese. The existence of such a thread wouldn't prove anything other than that I'm uninformed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    i was in the same boat.. i thought my car charger would plug into my touchstone.. but the boot wont allow it.. maybe just shave a little off the boot, and it will?? i havent tried it.. but would be interested to see if anyone does.. if you compare the boots from the car charger to the wall charger.. you will notice that the car charger has a little more material at the top of the boot.. i cant imagine anything special being in that area, that you couldnt get a dremel after.. and sanding it down some..
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Why not just get a cheap power inverter like this and plug the TouchStone into it?
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    I know there is another thread about this kinda

and I wont start duplicate emotional threads like this in the future, but this is so stupid. I just took for granted that Palm would inherently know how sweet it would be to have wireless charging especially in the car (no wires, who cares if you have a wire hanging under your desk, but in the car wtf?????).

You would also think that a company that has everything riding on this launch, needs to sell phones, apps, accessories (touchstones especially), etc... that they would be game for selling at least 50% more Touchstones (people buy one for the car and one for the desk like I did).

I can't believe that it is people's jobs to make this stuff and think of ways to make it better and they messed this up.
    Does it work with an inverter? I bought one because the iPhone 3G no longer charged using my car dock cable... (GRRR) but the inverter allows me to use any household electronics in my car. $14 might be worth a try.

EDIT: Ooops, Riebs beat me to it...
    Last edited by Enlil242; 06/08/2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: EDIT: Ooops, Riebs beat me to it... :)
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    Does it work with an inverter? I bought one because the iPhone 3G no longer charged using my car dock cable... (GRRR) but the inverter allows me to use any household electronics in my car. $14 might be worth a try.

EDIT: Ooops, Riebs beat me to it...

I've saved tons on money with one of these over the years because you don't have to buy an additional car charger cord for electronics that only come with a wall charger.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    An inverter would do the trick!

Inductive charging can't work without AC. An electromagnetic field that is changing with time is needed. You don't get that with a DC source. You can check out electromagnetic induction on wikipedia. I would include the link but i can't
    Can someone post a picture or describe why the touchstone won't work in a car? I haven't gotten a touchstone yet, but none of these posts tell me what the problem is.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i'd want something for the car that stayed firmly in place & held my pre better than the current touchstone. my driving style is a little, uh…spirited. i don't need my pre sliding around & getting underfoot!
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    i'd want something for the car that stayed firmly in place & held my pre better than the current touchstone. my driving style is a little, uh…spirited. i don't need my pre sliding around & getting underfoot!
    My touchstone fixes so well that I have trouble believing that. You'd have to be flying a fighter jet before I'd worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    I have a 2-plug power inverter in my car. Get one--a decent one--for a few bucks. Problem solved and you just saved yourself $30 on the car charger.

Good point.. i wish i woulda thought of that..
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast