Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I don't mean to spoil this thread, but just buy a DC to AC converter from Radio Shack and you can use your AC charger in the car with the touch stone. Also, some people with newer cars already have AC outlets in their cars so it's not like this effects everyone.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    On the other board you say your going to try this and get back to them. Can you do the same here, and if it works post a link to the charger that worked?
    Yes, please let us know...
    Inverter people!!! You don't need AC power going to the Touchstone. It gets 5v DC from the micro-USB cable. Get an inverter because you don't want to get a cigarette-lighter to USB plug, but don't get it because you think you need AC!!!!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    this is what i call a fail thread
    Will everyone shut up about inverters?? Posters here have already said they're big, noisy & give feedback when playing music. Besides, do you really want a big honking AC adapter sticking out your car charger port PLUS the wall plug itself?? It would be a hot mess.

Someone needs to test the official Palm car charger, the one where you use the micro usb cable that came with your Pre. Im betting it will work.

Last edited by peestandingup; 06/09/2009 at 08:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I have seen car mounts that actually plug into your cigarette lighter. What would be cool is for Palm to come out with one of these, that has the touchstone technology built in! No cables at all. Something like this http://tinyurl.com/mvukk7, but it charges your phone while its plugged in! Come on Palm, I would buy it.
    shaved my car charger to fit in to touchstone. works like a charm
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    pics please ( not that I don't believe you just want to see how it looks)

What did you use to shave it down?

And no more saying inverter or converter in this thread as the previous poster mentioned.

I agree either shaving it if you already bought the car charger or getting the Palm car charger is the way to go.
    waddle.. i think a dremel with a sanding disc would work.. or even just get an xacto knife.. and cut.. but that might not be a great idea.. i would just get a sanding disc.. and dremel it..
    all you need to do is just "shave"(cut a bit ) the plastic a bit, so it will fit in the touchstone
    compare the car charger plug with the usb plug, shave to match the usb plug..

Eric.. yours does work?? i got the sprint car charger for the pre..
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Will everyone shut up about inverters?? Posters here have already said they're big, noisy & give feedback when playing music. Besides, do you really want a big honking AC adapter sticking out your car charger port PLUS the wall plug itself?? It would be a hot mess.

Someone needs to test the official Palm car charger, the one where you use the micro usb cable that came with your Pre. Im betting it will work.

Bought this charger today at Best Buy and it work's like a charm with the Touchstone!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    Bought this charger today at Best Buy and it work's like a charm with the Touchstone!!!!
    I was just going to post the same thing! LOL

and you can buy just the touchstone without the back cover, I think it was around 39.00?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    Are you plugging this into the car and it works? I just tried the cable with my laptp and a AC to USB plug and neither worked on the touchstone. Both work plugged direct.
    TTFN
    My touchstone is so "touchy" that half the time I have to place the Pre on it multiple times before it actually will confirm that it is charging, so putting it in the car hadn't crossed my mind and probably wouldn't work too well for me.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Just do what THIS guy did.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    ...Someone needs to test the official Palm car charger, the one where you use the micro usb cable that came with your Pre. Im betting it will work...
    The official car charger works fine with the Touchstone. I am using that combination. For some reason I didn't even have to shave my cable.

Originally I tried a Palm USB cable with a non-palm DC converter with the exact same specs as the Palm one (5v and 1amp). That did NOT work with the Touchstone but did work when plugged directly into the PRE.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PWguy View Post
    For some reason I didn't even have to shave my cable.
    There are two car chargers:

The official Palm Pre car charger, which is the black slim looking one. This one doesn't need to be shaved because it accepts the standard Palm Pre USB cable.

Then there's the Sprint-branded Palm car charger that lights up yellow when you plug it in. The cord is fixed and the end needs to be shaved flatter in order to fit the TouchStone.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    A little info the motorola car charger SPN5400A works without any shaving down etc

Cost me $7 at my local 3rd party store
    all you need to do is just "shave"(cut a bit ) the plastic a bit, so it will fit in the touchstone
    Finally, a rocket scientist has come to the rescue of everyone in this thread who could not figure this out on thier own. (not a rip on you Eric)

Did you people really need someone to prove that this would work. It's a micro-usb port not a 'Neural Net CPU' interface.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast