Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Palm never suggested the touchstone was an automotive accessory, no sense in getting mad at them for using they're product for alternative uses. Might as well complain the Pre works horribly as a backscratcher.

If you do decide to try a power inverter Think Geek has a wonderfully disguised model
    ThinkGeek :: Coffee Cup Power Inverter
    lmao @ backscratcher.. ahahah
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Don't even bother with an inverter. There are zillions of car chargers with USB ports on them that you plug the official Palm USB cable into.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by polpo View Post
    Don't even bother with an inverter. There are zillions of car chargers with USB ports on them that you plug the official Palm USB cable into.
    thats what Ive been doing myself. 3rd party iPod charger with usb port and the included micro usb cable from my phone. Works like a charm.
    can you use the touchstone with that though?
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    http: //forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/183849-pre-magnetic-car-kit. html

(Link wont work cuz i can't post links until I have 10 post but all the info is there I just put a space between the http: and at the end at the html. It tells of the guy who tried everything to get his touchstone i nto his car)

In this thread he tries to use an inverter and it doesnt work.

Your phone isn't going anywhere once on the Touchstone.

It is explained perfectly in this thread why the Touchstone doesn't work i the car. The main reason is the plug going into the Touchstone from the car charger is too big. I am going to shave down asap.
    keep posted waddle..
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Mikest;1655650]Palm never suggested the touchstone was an automotive accessory, no sense in getting mad at them for using they're product for alternative uses. Might as well complain the Pre works horribly as a backscratcher.

If you do decide to try a power inverter Think Geek has a wonderfully disguised model

I know, please see my previous post in this thread.
    Palm was asked this back in early February. Their response was...
    One of the cool parts about Touchstone, is the micro-suction base that we use to adhere Touchstone to a desk or office environment. This allows for a firm base for your Pre and wonít cause Touchstone to be pulled off the desk when you pick up Pre. With that said, Touchstone isnít suitable for a vehicle and isnít designed for acceleration and deceleration. Stay tuned for cool new accessories down the road, and in the mean time, take a look at our new vehicle charger, it is really cool!! Found at
    Palm.com : Shop

-- Adam Kaufman, Product Manager

Source: Adam Kaufman: Facebook discussion board
    It works according to this post:

Well, as long as you're willing to take a knife to the plastic surrounding the MicroUSB connector on the charger cable, anyway.

Shaving off maybe a millimeter of extraneous plastic will enable it to fit perfectly in the Touchstone, and I verified that it does indeed charge my Pre when connected. This was just a quick "proof-of-concept" test, so I:

** Don't know how charging performance, time, etc. will compare to officially-supported options.

** Take no responsibility for anyone's Pre, Touchstone, car charger cable, lighter socket, electrical system, etc. bursting into flame and killing everyone within a 300-foot radius, or any other Bad Things that might happen if you try this yourself.

Finally, if it's of any additional comfort to anyone, here's one more bit of information: The fine print on the bottom of the Touchstone says, "Input: 5V DC" - no AC required, as was previously speculated here.

--John
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1646106
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i know it works because I already did it.
    I used to have a Pro Clip ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts for my centro in my Infiniti FX35.
    The FX35 has a center stowaway unit with a car charger slot in there.

I just bouth an extra long micro usb cable in white so it blends better with my beige interior (might paint it later) then i used the regular palm AC plug which is nice and small, plugged it into a power inverter ive used with my laptop in my car for ages, ran the wire out and then a little bit of home depot was required.

I took the Centro part of the Pro Clip off, used a piece of thick plexi and got it cut in a circular manner and hooked another piece upright though it could be done less precisely and still work. To this I just stock the Touchstone.

And there we go. Believe me when I assure you I am not a huge DIY guy.
    Ill post pics if anyone wants em
    Quote Originally Posted by Riebs View Post
    Why not just get a cheap power inverter like this and plug the TouchStone into it?
    Amen! I was trying to read through and post "Why not just use a power inverter???" I guess it's easier to get bent out of shape rather than find a solution to the problem. But as the other poster said, it will probably fly into someone's head during an abrupt stop and there's a lawsuit. Lawsuit for stupidity, but still.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    wahili, thanks for your tip. Could you post a picture please.
    I think it must have 120vac to work.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    touchstone in the car + bump road = flying palm pre
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Just got done with a 70 mile trip where I used an inverter. Everything worked perfect except it's bulky, has a faint smell, has to be turned on every time you start the car, and makes a humming noise. Long story short it kinda sucks.

On that 70 mile trip I drove as crazy as possible (and got even crazier in a parking lot) and the Pre didn't budge.

Below sounds like the answer, from the treo central site

Hm, so like I referred to, if you plan on using the car charger with the Touchstone and haven't bought the car adapter yet, get the one from the Palm website and not the Sprint one. The Palm one is an adapter for the same type of USB cable that comes with the Pre, and so it should fit perfectly.

The Sprint one is entirely different.

Does anyone have one of the above or has anyone tried this?
    No need for an inverter, you just need a car charger that outputs 5V/1000mah
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    No need for an inverter, you just need a car charger that outputs 5V/1000mah
    On the other board you say your going to try this and get back to them. Can you do the same here, and if it works post a link to the charger that worked?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have an old car power converter and plugged in my touchstone. Fitted it on the middle con between the front seats drove around all day with no problems. Magnet was strong enough to hold the Pre in place despite my wild driving. May go the velcro route to mount on the dash soon. My inverter has 115v output got it from Staples a year ago.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast