Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was playing with my touchstone charger last night, and noticed the thing hangs onto the phone really well, turning it upside down, and shacking vigorously did not release the phone.

A car holder that used magnets would be amazing!

Is it a matter of time?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    actually, I was thinking about mounting the touchstone in my car, that way it will charge AND mount at the same time.

This should work great for GPS.
  3.    #3  
    The pre is my new GPS + XMRadio (using Pandora) I love it.

Yes of course, charge it at the same time.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightpix View Post
    The pre is my new GPS + XMRadio (using Pandora) I love it.

Yes of course, charge it at the same time.
    did you use a generic car charger, or an inverter and the wall charger?
  5.    #5  
    Using the sprint car charger at the moment.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I played MP3's up to work today, at the same time had GPS and using Sprint's Navigation. (Had a charger hooked to the unit the whole way up).

When I got to work 45 mins later battery was 80%.

Does the charger not have enough guts to keep it all the way charged while using it hard???

Wow!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    USB charging method is slower than power outlet charging...

USB charging and car charging, I believe is the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Page 38 of Pre Manual
    You can also charge your phone battery by connecting your phone to your
    computer using the USB cable. Charging this way takes much longer than
    using the AC charger. Do not, however, connect the Palmģ TouchstoneTM
    charging dock (sold separately) to your computer.
    tried to use my touchstone in the car and the sprint car charger wouldnt fit into the touchstone. So, I found a usb cigarette lighter adapter and plug my usb to micro usb in to it. No go, I am assuming that the cigarette lighter doesn't have enough juice to run the touchstone. It would just beep like its gonna charge and then beep again like it was stopping the charge...it would cycle repeatedly from there. It did however work with a power inverter and the plug in charger.

Ken
    I wasn't very happy when I opened up the touchstone box to find that they did not include an extra invertor and cable...seriously palm?
    so.. whats the concensus..
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I am going to be looking at some sort of touchstone device for the car but I will wait until such a thing is made by palm. With the turn by turn nav included I am going to want something mounted in my car but also want to easily be able to charge it (and not mess with the crappy usb cover)
    sounds like your own dumb fault for not reading the product description right on Palm's website or paid attention to the countless touchstone threads on here. They've rarely included an additional AC charger for their accessories. You've always used the included one that came with your pda or phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by richcracker View Post
    I wasn't very happy when I opened up the touchstone box to find that they did not include an extra invertor and cable...seriously palm?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Repeating a post from another thread. Be careful with this "mounting idea".

Palm was asked this back in early February. Their response was...
    One of the cool parts about Touchstone, is the micro-suction base that we use to adhere Touchstone to a desk or office environment. This allows for a firm base for your Pre and wonít cause Touchstone to be pulled off the desk when you pick up Pre. With that said, Touchstone isnít suitable for a vehicle and isnít designed for acceleration and deceleration. Stay tuned for cool new accessories down the road, and in the mean time, take a look at our new vehicle charger, it is really cool!! Found at
    Palm.com : Shop

-- Adam Kaufman, Product Manager

Source: Adam Kaufman: Facebook discussion board
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    sounds like your own dumb fault for not reading the product description right on Palm's website or paid attention to the countless touchstone threads on here. They've rarely included an additional AC charger for their accessories. You've always used the included one that came with your pda or phone.
    No, I feel it's Sprint's fault for the in-store rep selling me both a Touchstone and a Sprint car charger, even after I asked if the car charger would work. I need to return one or the other. I used the Pre until 1pm today, and then kept it in the car until 5:30, at which point it said 'shutting down'
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richcracker View Post
    This ticks me off to no end. That thing is 70 bucks and someone just did an analysis that said the parts only cost 5 bucks. WTF. The touchstone was for work! And what is this micro USB slot anyways. What was wrong with the old micro USB? Why does it need to use the Storm version? The only reason I bought the damn things was because they were 20% off on launch day.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    For $100 you can get a pretty good stereo for your car that has a USB port and aux port. I just plug my pre into the USB and aux ports and listen to MP3s and the Telenav on the stereo while the phone charges.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I mounted the touchstone to the center console in my car and plugged it into the built-in inverter port and it charges great. Best of all, I can pick up the phone to answer it rather than having to look at the screen!

-darren
    The Touchstone requires 1 amp to to charge. Most car usb chargers push .5 amp.

I am ordering a 1 amp usb charger online and then I will mount it. I have the perfect spot just in front of the shifter. The angle is perfect.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    I mounted the touchstone to the center console in my car and plugged it into the built-in inverter port and it charges great. Best of all, I can pick up the phone to answer it rather than having to look at the screen!

-darren
    So, this works pretty good? How about with heavy use, some have stated that car chargers don't keep up with heave use, what is your experience? I'm picking up an power invertor on the way to work today!
    I've been thinking about doing this too. I whipped up a home-made dash mount using and old blackberry belt holder I had lying around and now I'm thinking about tearing apart my touchstone and building it into back of the mount somehow. That way I wouldn't have to remember to plug it in and the cable wouldn't be sticking out the side. I don't like the idea of using the magnet because I would want to mount it vertically and the magnet doesn't seem strong enough in my opinion to keep it there over a speed bump or especially during an off road romp.

Anyway here's some pics of my "custom" mount. Notice it rotates for viewing video. (Change gttp to http... I can't post links yet apparently).

gttp://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g288/Rooster242/Pre%20Car%20Mount/
    Last edited by Rooster242; 06/11/2009 at 10:00 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast