Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't want to pay for the overpriced Sprint/Palm chargers. They are claiming they are required or you will fry your phone but I don't buy it.

Has anyone used a cheap microusb charger that works fine? Has anyone used one that didn't work fine?
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Any Motorola made micro USB chargers work fine.

I have a couple from amazon , they just work fine.
    We use the iGO modular charger sold at Radio Shack, and with the Micro USB tip it works just fine.

Yeah, we had a moment of "oh hell, are you kidding me?!" when our Palm rep told us that only the Palm/Sprint-sold chargers would work. I was gonna be upset if they screwed with the pin wiring on Micro USB like many companies did with Mini USB.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusInnomen View Post
    We use the iGO modular charger sold at Radio Shack, and with the Micro USB tip it works just fine.

Yeah, we had a moment of "oh hell, are you kidding me?!" when our Palm rep told us that only the Palm/Sprint-sold chargers would work. I was gonna be upset if they screwed with the pin wiring on Micro USB like many companies did with Mini USB.
    I have an iGo as well but the site doesn't have the tip number listed yet for the Pre. Could you tell me the micro USB tip number?

Thx.
    the micro one for igo is A97.

However I went to radio shack and they guy tried it on my phone and my phone did not charge.

I'm hoping the radio shack guy had the power on his DC adaptor.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I got a Rocketfish charger at Best Buy for $15. I was surprised that it already had the Palm Pre listed on the back as a compatible device.
    I do not like the hardwired one I got at the SPrint store, I am taking it back.
    I like the one that Palm has on their website that is a usb plug, into the charger.

Does the Rocketfish have usb on one side or is it hardwired?
    The only potential "gotcha" might be that if you want to use a third-party charger with a TouchStone, the tip would need to be as narrow as the Palm's micro usb tip...and I haven't seen any that small so far.

No worries, use the standard Palm charger with your TS and use the third-party charger with the phone. It's only an issue is you plan to use one with a TS.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusInnomen View Post

Can you please tell me which tip number you used? I have the A97 which is microUSB but the Pre does not recognize it at all when I plug it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I have an iGo as well but the site doesn't have the tip number listed yet for the Pre. Could you tell me the micro USB tip number?

Thx.
    Like pehaada said, it's A97. To give you an idea, it worked the first time I plugged it into my Pre. When my wife tried, we had to plug and unplug it a few times, but on about the 3rd try it worked. Might need to be exactly right.

I also grabbed this at Best Buy Mobile today: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1199496059678
    It immediately started charging when I used the included cable (it appears to be power only, no data wires), and when I took the mini-to-micro tip and used it with a normal Mini USB cable, it kicked into data cable mode.
    Last edited by DeusInnomen; 06/08/2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I don't want to pay for the overpriced Sprint/Palm chargers. They are claiming they are required or you will fry your phone but I don't buy it.
    Just for the record accessories with Sprint on them are not Palm accessories. Sprint accessories are just as generic as anyone elses other than Palm themselves. As for the TouchStone I would only go with Palm I would be afraid of having problems with anything else.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
    Everyone always wants you to use their brand of cables. Nothing new here. Should work just the same regardless of who makes it.
    Y'know, I should check the charger for my wife's Blackberry Pearl Flip (she replaced it with a Pre) to see if the outlet puts out the same volts/amps as the Palm one does. I'll do that when I get home and update. I have to wonder if the issue is more of the expected current being drawn and not so much the cable itself or whatnot.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    That has some sketchy reviews.

DNic...i'd recommend just getting a few basic Micro usb cables and use your computer to charge if you aren't going the official route.

...or just wait for someone else to try it out haha.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    That has some sketchy reviews.

DNic...i'd recommend just getting a few basic Micro usb cables and use your computer to charge if you aren't going the official route.

...or just wait for someone else to try it out haha.
    Yea I might just do that. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I'm using the car charger from my 800w. It works just fine, it is a generic model I picked up at Walmart for $10.00 or so.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Has anyone used the usb cord that came with their phone with an inverter with a usb slot on it?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Motorola charger works great, charges fast. I use a Motorola car charger with an adapter from Mini to Micro USB. I know, I'm cheap, I had a phone that used micro before. Fortunately an older phone came with the adapter so it's been quite handy.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Is there a specific USB cable I should look for? I use a car adapter that is just a USB plug so I want to buy a bunch of cables but don't know if the device will be moody on which ones it accepts.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast