Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    I ordered 2 of these along with 2 car chargers and some cables yesterday. They should be here tomorrow morning. I will report back.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I already had a micro USB charger from my bluetooth, and the Pre recognized it instantly and begins charging without a problem.

I had an iGo and bought the micro USB tip (A97) and the Pre didn't recognized it. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started charging.

The next day, I plugged it in, no charge. Third time, it charged.

Bump it, I'm heading to the Sprint store to just get the dang on Palm charger.

I'd rather spend $30 now than $100 later to replace my Pre.
    I just ordered this charger from ebay: Sprint Palm Pre OEM Original Car Charger - eBay (item 310147475858 end time Jul-08-09 07:21:14 PDT) - it's the same exact model (PVX8930R ) as what the Sprint stores sell, so it should be pretty reliable. $10 +$5 shipping (if you buy multiple it should be cheaper shipping).

This seems to be the best bang for buck right now that is assured to work.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pehaada View Post
    the micro one for igo is A97.

However I went to radio shack and they guy tried it on my phone and my phone did not charge.

I'm hoping the radio shack guy had the power on his DC adaptor.
    I picked up an A97 adapter and it charged. It just seems like the connector on the A97 might not fit the Pre perfectly.
    So, I wandered out to Marshals, and saw this little ipod usb car charger called an "iLuv USB car adapter". I figure I could pick it up and see if it works in my car in the parking lot.

Sure enough, I plugged the USB into the sucker and charged my happy Pre.

So, if anyone does not want to wait for and has a Marshals close by, pick up the iLuv 9.99.
    I bought micro USB cables from Monoprice. I already had both a 1 amp A/C charger and a 1 amp car adapter, both with USB ports that work with other devices. Interestingly, when I try to charge the Pre with these, it does not immediately start charging. It takes several seconds, but then the charging does start and charges fine. The problem is not the cable! If I plug the cable I got from Monoprice into the stock Pre charger, it starts charging instantly, every time.

So - seems like there is an issue with some chargers and how the Pre recognizes them.
    I bought third-party USB cables and chargers...and they all work:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1666228
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Okay, update on the iGo charger. Oddly enough, it seems to work about every third time I plug it in. I have to wonder if it's trying different voltages each time until it works or something. *scratches head* I've sent iGo an email on the subject, maybe they have some insight.
    The every third time thing with the iGo is what I experienced as well. Didn't give me a warm & fuzzy, so I broke down and bought a Sprint car charger and it charges instantly and without issue.

Sure, I paid more - but I'm not worried about the health of my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    I bought 5 retractable micro cables for $5/each, they work fine. Have one on home/work computers, car, wall adapter. All work fine. As often as I'm on a laptop or in car, battery life not so much of an issue, though I still want bigger battery.
    Good to know! I was thinking of buying a few of those off ebay (like I did for my treo) but wanted to make sure it would work before I did. Who/where did you order off?
    doublepost
    I want another wall charger for my office. Which one should I get? I would post links but I don't have the post count yet
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    yea, i use something like that with a retractable cable. It works really well.
    Ordered a 3ft and 6ft USB Micro Cable from monoprice. Also bought their female USB car charger thing.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    To those of you having trouble with the igo A97 tip, take a look at the revision number. I had one my wife used for her rant, and it works, but I have to plug it in, turn the screen on and it starts working. Sometimes I plug it in and I don't have to do this, but her A97 tip is a revision a. I bought a revision c A97 tip from radio shack and the problem is still there, but much less frequent. If I don't see that its charging, I just cycle the screen and it starts. Of course the igo revision number may mean nothing but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention it. All my testing was done with either the igo autopower8 or the house charger.
    Beware:

The monoprice USB to Mirco USB workflawlessly.

I was only able to get one of the OEM Sprint Car chargers to work out of the two I got off Ebay. The listing says Pre is supported.
    Sprint Car Charger for Pre

I bought 4 wall charger and none of them work on the Pre
    Wall Charger
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    FYI... The monoprice ac adater and car charger work but aren't supplying enough juice for the Touchstone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I purchased a couple "Pre compatible" wall chargers (with micro USB connectors) from amazon and they do not work with the Pre. In fact, the screen starts going on and off and I notice tap animations all over the screen. I have a friend who got some 3rd party chargers with the same specs and he is having issues as well. Can anyone point to wall chargers that do work? If the specs are the same what could be causing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    I bought 5 retractable micro cables for $5/each, they work fine. Have one on home/work computers, car, wall adapter. All work fine. As often as I'm on a laptop or in car, battery life not so much of an issue, though I still want bigger battery.
    Thanks! I ended up getting the same retractable cable you did and it works great in my car. I may buy another one or two.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast