Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My verizon charger I used with the storm won't work with the pre..
    Okay, took a closer look. The Palm charger is 5V 1A (5 volts, 1 amp). I grabbed my wife's Pearl Flip charger, which is 5V 0.7A, and it immediately started charging when I used it.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    I'm using the car charger from my 800w. It works just fine, it is a generic model I picked up at Walmart for $10.00 or so.
    I bought the same charger when I got my 800w and used it on both the 800w and the Treo Pro. I've been scared to plug it into the Pre yet though. No issues at all?

To everyone else, is there any danger to the Pre in trying 3rd party car and home chargers or will it just not work?
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    The only potential "gotcha" might be that if you want to use a third-party charger with a TouchStone, the tip would need to be as narrow as the Palm's micro usb tip...and I haven't seen any that small so far.

No worries, use the standard Palm charger with your TS and use the third-party charger with the phone. It's only an issue is you plan to use one with a TS.
    Do you know of any place to buy a car charger that fit's the Touchstone? I have tried the Sprint car charger and one off Amazon.....Any help would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Well I tried the Walmart car charger I had used with my Treo Pro and 800w. It did nothing with the Pre. Which 3rd party car charger does everyone recommend?
    Any leads on a charger cable (USB to Micro) that works with the TS? Also looking for a dual USB output car charger (and AC Charger) with a 1amp rating? I need to charge this darn Jawbone and the Pre.

Looking to spend <$40 for car charger, AC charger for 2nd TS and related cords. $10 seems too much for a TS cable, but we'll see.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Well I tried the Walmart car charger I had used with my Treo Pro and 800w. It did nothing with the Pre. Which 3rd party car charger does everyone recommend?
    I don't remember the model or brand, and it's not marked with either (I looked yesterday when trying to verify the output) but do remember it came in red packaging. But it works fine, every time, and quickly to boot.
    I'm using the cable that came with my Amazon Kindle 2. Works for both charging and data transfer.
    I bought the walmart car charger yesterday for $15. The package states it is compatible with the Palm 800w and a bunch of other phones.

It works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by noah2383 View Post
    Has anyone used the usb cord that came with their phone with an inverter with a usb slot on it?
    yeah, tried it, and it seems to charge just fine, however, it creates a buzzing sound when trying to music through car's auxilary input when charging. but this happens even with ipod when charging as well, so not sure if it's the car.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    im using the sprint car charger, in the past cheaper chargers almost always cost more in the long run
    Quote Originally Posted by pehaada View Post
    the micro one for igo is A97.

However I went to radio shack and they guy tried it on my phone and my phone did not charge.

I'm hoping the radio shack guy had the power on his DC adaptor.
    I just tested the A97 with my iGo charger. The tip fits but it does not work. I reseated the tip 10 times and not once did it say it was charging. I returned it already and will wait for iGo to come out with a Pre specific tip.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    I don't remember the model or brand, and it's not marked with either (I looked yesterday when trying to verify the output) but do remember it came in red packaging. But it works fine, every time, and quickly to boot.
    Thanks for the additional info. I'm going to try it again in case maybe it wasn't plugged into my car well or something. Also I use a splitter in the car so maybe that caused a problem. Might the Pre require more power than the Treo Pro did?

If I can't get this one working I'll head back to Walmart and look for something in red packaging.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Someone in another thread here says the Motorola SPN5400A car charger works, and is working with the Touchstone charger without modification. I picked one up on eBay for $7 shipped. New OEM SPN5400A Micro USB Car Charger VX8560 VX9700 - eBay (item 180356527690 end time Jun-11-09 15:42:24 PDT)
    I can't believe some of the people here. They spend over $200 dollars for a very high tech device, then go all cheap and want to buy a third party cable for a couple bucks that could wind up ruining the phone. Man up and spend the money to get what is known to work. Don't take the advice of some anonomous poster who may or may not know what he is talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyJack View Post
    I can't believe some of the people here. They spend over $200 dollars for a very high tech device, then go all cheap and want to buy a third party cable for a couple bucks that could wind up ruining the phone. Man up and spend the money to get what is known to work. Don't take the advice of some anonomous poster who may or may not know what he is talking about.
    Welcome to the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyJack View Post
    Just because a cable is more expensive doesn't make it better. Look at all the controversy over monster cables. People just want to find the best value.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Does the Rocketfish have usb on one side or is it hardwired?
    It is hardwired.

Beware of this one, though. I just picked one up from Best Buy and it took a little playing with to work, then finally stopped working. The one that came with the Palm still works fine. Their car charger took similar playing with, and I'm suspicious it will also give out in very fast order (it also has a fairly short cable).

I'm going to return both of these, maybe try a Motorola variety for the car and just get a plain cable to charge via my laptop at work, since I'm not really concerned with it charging quickly since I'm at my desk most of the day - mainly just to maintain charge...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    The whole point of micro-usb was to standardize the connector as well as power requirements. So technically a micro-usb charger for the Blackberry Storm should work fine with the Pre.

I personally purchased a non-oem Blackberry Storm car charger from eforcity. I used it for the first time on my car ride back from work and it seems to work fine.

For USB cables, just buy the gold plated ones off Monoprice. I ended up paying $2.24+ $3.09 shipping for 2 microusb cables. Keep your order under 13oz, so you can use the cheap USPS First Class shipping.
    Last edited by sheltem; 06/10/2009 at 04:39 PM.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    I bought 5 retractable micro cables for $5/each, they work fine. Have one on home/work computers, car, wall adapter. All work fine. As often as I'm on a laptop or in car, battery life not so much of an issue, though I still want bigger battery.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast