Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    ^
    I think an admin should prepend the text "** DEAD **" to this thread title and close this thread.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    One thing is for certain here... the OP is an epic FAIL and time waster.
    Mods this thread should be closed and the real useful information migrated to a different thread not linked to the OP. I can't even believe what a loser that guy is....
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    I called this as a fake on page 2.

And someone mentioned that he got it working with Bluetooth and Windows 7. I can't guarantee anything but since I am a 20+ year veteran of IT and I'm running Windows 7 RC on my laptop, I can test this out with credible results. My problem right now is that I was 16th on the list to get a Pre at my local Sprint store as of Monday. As soon as I get it, I will start hacking away on it. I was told I might have it by Thursday.

I have to imagine that if Sprint is blocking tethering at the network level simply because they would have to examine the packets too closely, it has to be at the Pre. Therefore, if you can get around the block at the OS level, Sprint would have no idea whatsoever if you were tethering simply because its all using the same public facing IP address to reach the data network.

The clock is ticking and its only a matter of time (short, I would think) before we are tethering. With my HTC Mogul on Sprint, all it took was adding a simple text entry in the registry and a reboot to get tethering. I would imagine we will be doing the same here.

I'll try it with Windows 7 once I get my Pre. Win7 handles networking and devices a lot different then previous operating systems. If the previous post holds any merit, then this might be partial salvation.
    I tried the #777 method through blutooh on my macbook. When I dial #777 it says this feature is not available please contact sprint customer service to enable this feature.
    chrissurra, I got the same error message the other day.
    There is no tethering available on the Pre. 6/09
    The Pre will show up as a bluetooth device on a laptop. It will not offer any useable services (ie modem). This will be confirmed by an "Auth Error" message on the phone.
    Any "success" that people claim on this thread cannot be replicated. I suspect the data was not coming from the phone itself.
    The phone is modem-capable. Sprint has not turned it on.
    The CFO of Sprint was quoted last week as saying tethering "is coming... This had been contradicted recently by other sources.
    The iPhone 3GS will "offer" tethering "late summer"
    You can expect to pay for it. iPhone or Pre
    There are no hacks yet. I've searched. Hard.
    This thread illustrates the unreliability of info that is frequently spread through forums. Most of it good intentioned. Some of it is not.
    (This post included)

The speed of 3G tethering is getting so good that people may actually ditch their home internet service and aircards if they could just use their cellphones to connect their computers to the web. These people will be ok with the slow(er) data rates, to save $20-70/mo. (The economy)
    Mass usage of phones as modems, once people catch on to the convenience, could overload phone data networks.
    This is why the service (on 3G devices) probably won't be offered for free, as in the past.
    Last edited by PCHFlyer; 06/12/2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCHFlyer View Post
    There is no tethering available on the Pre. 6/09
    The Pre will show up as a bluetooth device on a laptop. It will not offer any useable services (ie modem). This will be confirmed by an "Auth Error" message on the phone.
    Any "success" that people claim on this thread cannot be replicated. I suspect the data was not coming from the phone itself.
    The phone is modem-capable. Sprint has not turned it on.
    The CFO of Sprint was quoted last week as saying tethering "is coming... This had been contradicted recently by other sources.
    The iPhone 3GS will "offer" tethering "late summer"
    You can expect to pay for it. iPhone or Pre
    There are no hacks yet. I've searched. Hard.
    This thread illustrates the unreliability of info that is frequently spread through forums. Most of it good intentioned. Some of it is not.
    (This post included)

The speed of 3G tethering is getting so good that people may actually ditch their home internet service and aircards if they could just use their cellphones to connect their computers to the web. These people will be ok with the slow(er) data rates, to save $20-70/mo. (The economy)
    Mass usage of phones as modems, once people catch on to the convenience, could overload phone data networks.
    This is why the service (on 3G devices) probably won't be offered for free, as in the past.
    There is not bluetooth tethering available on the Instinct either yet I can do it. Enter debug mode change the nai option and setup a dun connection in windows boom pam. It doesn't matter whether sprint "turns it on" or not. That only matters if you are planning to pay for it and they offer a PAM plan. I would be willing to pay if i could but they don't offer it.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    had some troubles with my pre and sprint gave me my MSL so will let you know what happens.
    I have a feeling that if / when a Pre teathering app becomes available it's not likely to be in the app store.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234