Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71
  1. enter260's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Rs View Post
    Simply Everything implies Simply every feature available is given to the consumer.
    roflmao. are you serious?
  2. #42  
    I pay for unlimited data in the SEP. Even though it's 'capped' at 5gb. I should be able to use those 5gb anyway I want!
  3. #43  
    Re-read the original post - it reeks of vagary.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripple_sinner View Post
    I am actually using my palm pre as a modem and it is pretty fast actually. just did a speed test and i got about 1400kbps, not too shabby.
    Three big problems with this single-sentence post.

    1. INEXACT SPEED: "About 1400kbps?" Most folks, when bragging about a bandwidth score tell you to the nearest 1kbps, not to the nearest 100kbps. Even to the nearest 10kbps would have made it a better lie.

    2. BLUETOOTH THROUGHPUT: Bluetooth has a theoretical speed of up to 721kbps - that's in lab conditions. It most certainly can't push twice that amount through that narrow bit of bandwidth in a real world test.

    3. TEST METHOD: No mention of even how this test was accomplished. For all we know, the OP pulled up a cached web page and got those results.

    CONCLUSION: The OP seems to have dug himself a pretty good credibility hole. Perhaps if he came back with the steps required for making this connection, a throughput reading that's not science fiction, and a testing methodology that's accepted at some level, his questionable claim can be cleared up - or killed for good.
  4. tdcrone's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    2. BLUETOOTH THROUGHPUT: Bluetooth has a theoretical speed of up to 721kbps - that's in lab conditions. It most certainly can't push twice that amount through that narrow bit of bandwidth in a real world test.
    Pre doesn't have BT2.0+EDR?! All the spec sheets said it would, so I would have expected >2Mbps as a real-world max.

    On the old phones, there is a flag that is set to tell the carrier you are tethering, versus a raw data connection. The old hacks unset this, and since apparently you can't tether on Sprint anymore (?) I suppose someone will need to write the hack, and/or a data bridge.

    Bummer that Classic won't do bluetooth (usbmodem).

    And no, I have no idea whether the OP is telling the truth, just the number isn't way outside of reality.
  5. bender29's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    Pre doesn't have BT2.0+EDR?! All the spec sheets said it would, so I would have expected >2Mbps as a real-world max.
    Even better, Pre has Bluetooth 2.1.

    But yes, it should definitely support ~2.0Mbps.
  6. #46  
    i've done done wifi tethering. Not sure about tethering with EvDO.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    Pre doesn't have BT2.0+EDR?! All the spec sheets said it would, so I would have expected >2Mbps as a real-world max.
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post
    Even better, Pre has Bluetooth 2.1.

    But yes, it should definitely support ~2.0Mbps.
    No way, not in real world scenarios. The same way that you'll never see the full 54mbps in 802.11g. Halve that figure for a more accurate estimation.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post
    Even better, Pre has Bluetooth 2.1.

    But yes, it should definitely support ~2.0Mbps.
    Yep - that was my mistake. Thanks for correcting that.

    Still, I use my Samsung Omnis with BT 2.0+EDR as a tether for a MacBook (aluminum) with BT 2.1+EDR and the throughput peaks at ~450-500 kbps. Tethered (with a mifi2200), I get 1.2 to 1.5 mbps. So it seems that in real world situations the throughput is significantly lower that theoretical.
  9. mh262's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    I pay for unlimited data in the SEP. Even though it's 'capped' at 5gb. I should be able to use those 5gb anyway I want!
    Agreed. I think 5GB's is plenty. You should not be using Sprint to tether as your ISP at home anyway.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Re-read the original post - it reeks of vagary.
    Three big problems with this single-sentence post.

    1. INEXACT SPEED: "About 1400kbps?" Most folks, when bragging about a bandwidth score tell you to the nearest 1kbps, not to the nearest 100kbps. Even to the nearest 10kbps would have made it a better lie.

    2. BLUETOOTH THROUGHPUT: Bluetooth has a theoretical speed of up to 721kbps - that's in lab conditions. It most certainly can't push twice that amount through that narrow bit of bandwidth in a real world test.

    3. TEST METHOD: No mention of even how this test was accomplished. For all we know, the OP pulled up a cached web page and got those results.

    CONCLUSION: The OP seems to have dug himself a pretty good credibility hole. Perhaps if he came back with the steps required for making this connection, a throughput reading that's not science fiction, and a testing methodology that's accepted at some level, his questionable claim can be cleared up - or killed for good.
    Another interesting thing to note is when you connect and try to ping an address like "www.cnet.com" it will return the IP address. Output will look like this:

    Pinging gtm-tron-xw.cnet-basic-performance.akadns.net [216.239.122.164] with 32
    bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    This to me further looks like NAI just needs to be enabled and is the last step.
  11. #51  
    Bt 1.1 has a 750kbps limit but BT2.x can do over 2mbps.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  12. #52  
    Steps for replication or it didn't happen
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Another interesting thing to note is when you connect and try to ping an address like "www.cnet.com" it will return the IP address. Output will look like this:

    Pinging gtm-tron-xw.cnet-basic-performance.akadns.net [216.239.122.164] with 32
    bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    This to me further looks like NAI just needs to be enabled and is the last step.
    Having the IP address means nothing. You can verify that the device isn't actually able to talk to any DNS servers by running an SSH server or something on port 53 (DNS) and verify that you are not able to connect.

    The most likely reason you have an IP address there is due to your DNS cache -- perform in an admin level CMD prompt ipconfig /flushdns first to verify.
  14. seekis's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #54  
    network access identification...i think
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by bschlinker View Post
    Having the IP address means nothing. You can verify that the device isn't actually able to talk to any DNS servers by running an SSH server or something on port 53 (DNS) and verify that you are not able to connect.

    The most likely reason you have an IP address there is due to your DNS cache -- perform in an admin level CMD prompt ipconfig /flushdns first to verify.
    I'm not so sure about that. I tried this again after clearing the cache, with the same result. Also if you disconnect the PAM connection you will receive this:

    Ping request could not find host "www.cnet.com". Please check the name and try again.

    Bottom line is that it doesn't mean much one way or the other, we just need NAI enabled.
  16. vandi's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #56  
    Not that AT&T has said they will support tethering on the iPhone, maybe that will light a fire under Sprint and the Pre...
  17. #57  
    Nice find, can we get an easy to follow step-by-step. I think a lot of people would be grateful
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  18. #58  
    The OP is bogus. This thread should be closed.
  19. though's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #59  
    Op = fail.
  20. #60  
    I don't care abuot the OP, I want some answers :-)
    Really though, anyone gotten any further on this thing? Seen anything related of interest in other forums??
    I NEED tethering or this phone is no good for me.
    Also of interest, using mobilespeedtest, this phone seems to be double the download speed of any other phone out there!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions