Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigDogz View Post
    I own a igo mobile charger. Does anybody know if this tip would work for Pre? It says Micro USB...

radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2996376&tab=techSpecs

*sorry, I am <10 post, so I can't post direct link...*
    yes I have the Igo for about 2 years with my blackberry and now the pre and that charger juice that thing in no time 1 percent per minute, even with the gps running still charge real quick,one thing the charger and the phone get real hot,but so far from day one no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreAaronr View Post
    The A97 works fine, as others have stated, if you turn off the screen first with the plug out and then insert it again. I have confirmed that on both the indoor and car charger for Igo. I even got it to charge by putting the plug in with the screen on and then turning off the screen...but that did not happen reliably.

What I can confirm does not work is the A46 tip. This tip is the standard USB socket (see picture attached). The tip output is said to be 5.0V, 1.5A on the tip package. This would appear to be similar to the Palm AC socket that says 5.0V, 1.0A. I was thinking that the Pre would simply draw the current it needed. However it does not work at all using the USB cable that came with the Pre...even using the trick of first turning off the screen first. Anyone have any ideas why?
    exactly what he says, i am the one who wrote something about the charger about 2 weeks back ,i got the tip the next day i got the phone.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    I did a little research online. The igo autopower8 which is the current model that radio shack and igo sells is only 5 watts (.41amps) output. I found the autopower 3000 which boasts a 15 watt output which is well over 1 amp! The autopower 3000 is still available apparently and I found them here mobynowstore dot com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=49214]iGo Auto Power 3000 Series Power Adapter for Cell Phone/PDA - EM-PS00228-3002 for a whopping $2.99.
    Well, with shipping and "materials" charge, it came to $11.97 shipped...which is still a decent deal since the shack is about $20 + tax. I'm in for one. Thanks...I almost think I'm on slickdeals.net!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Well, with shipping and "materials" charge, it came to $11.97 shipped...which is still a decent deal since the shack is about $20 + tax. I'm in for one. Thanks...I almost think I'm on slickdeals.net!
    I went ahead and ordered 2 of them. I am very curious to see if they have the blue light though. One thing to note about this charger is it shows it will take blue label tips or green label tips. If you look carefully at the autopower8 at radioshack or iGo, it states that it takes blue label tips only. I am assuming this is because of power ourput limitations. Why iGo would quit marketing the higher wattage charger is beyond me. I can't wait to get this new one to see just what it does!
    I received my Igo tip A138 yesterday. This tip is a micro-usb and is specified for use with the Treo 800w. It worked perfectly with the Pre under all circumstances. I'll be continuing to use it over time and will update if anything changes.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpooch View Post
    I received my Igo tip A138 yesterday. This tip is a micro-usb and is specified for use with the Treo 800w. It worked perfectly with the Pre under all circumstances. I'll be continuing to use it over time and will update if anything changes.
    Does that tip look physically the same as the A97 micro usb tip? I was wondering if there are any physical differences between them, or differences in pin placement inside the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    Does that tip look physically the same as the A97 micro usb tip? I was wondering if there are any physical differences between them, or differences in pin placement inside the tip.
    The tips look physically identical. I am assuming there is a different resistor inside the tip itself which changes the amperage.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpooch View Post
    Thanks! Can you tell me if you have to turn the screen off to use the A138? Did you try it on the AC or car iGo?

I think I'm going to return the A97 and maybe the A48 back to the shack and buy the A138. Both the A97 and A48 work but require some "maneuvering." FYI: The A97 is regular price at the shack but the A48 is on clearance for about $5 so if you can find the A48, it may be the best deal.

The A138 seems hard to come by. Amazon did not have it even. I suppose if all else fails, you can get it from igo
    You may very well wish to purchase one of the micro USB VPC/VPAs specifically designed for the Palm Pre from a Sprint corporate retail store. Yes, I do realize that $31.99 for some people may seem a bit steep, but remember people, you get a 20% discount off that price when you purchase another accessory in the same transaction.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarroll70 View Post
    You may very well wish to purchase one of the micro USB VPC/VPAs specifically designed for the Palm Pre from a Sprint corporate retail store. Yes, I do realize that $31.99 for some people may seem a bit steep, but remember people, you get a 20% discount off that price when you purchase another accessory in the same transaction.
    Ray, thanks for the tip but this thread is obviously for people that already have the iGo system. If I only wanted to charge just my Pre, then I may want to go buy the sprint accessories. But I have a half dozen or more electronics that I use with my iGo system. Buying another charger is not going to happen.
    Thanks! Can you tell me if you have to turn the screen off to use the A138? Did you try it on the AC or car iGo?
    You do NOT have to turn the phone off to get it charging. It worked fine whether the phone was on or off.

I did receive an email back from Igo on Tuesday saying that they had the Pre and it is in their lab to determine if an existing tip would be recommended or if they needed to come up with a new tip. So ideally, you should wait until they come up with the "official" recommendation. But if you're like me, I plan on using A138 until they say one way or the other.

I tried it on a 6 year old Juice 70. I haven't tried it on a iGo Auto yet but I'll try it tomorrow.
    Hopefully someone over at iGo will develope some type of electrical booster you can attach the A97 tip to and make it work with the Palm Pre. I too have the A97 tip I used with both a Motorola RAZR VE20 as well as a LG Lotus/LX600 without any issues yet had hit and miss when using the tip with my Palm Pre.
    I don't think the A97 tip is the issue. I believe the challenge currently facing iGo is for them to create a small electrical booster that will interface between the iGo charger and the A97 tip so the electrical current will be the correct amount to charge the Palm Pre.
    Hopefully someone over at iGo will develope some type of electrical booster you can attach the A97 tip to and make it work with the Palm Pre. I too have the A97 tip I used with both a Motorola RAZR VE20 as well as a LG Lotus/LX600 without any issues yet had hit and miss when using the tip with my Palm Pre.
    Unfortunately iGo makes their money selling tips. So it's unlikely they will sell an attachment for an existing tip. They'll make you buy a new one. Just look at their mini-usb selection: A29- 5v, 600mA / A32 5v, 900mA / A53 5.2v, 1200mA.
    I don't think the A97 tip is the issue. I believe the challenge currently facing iGo is for them to create a small electrical booster that will interface between the iGo charger and the A97 tip so the electrical current will be the correct amount to charge the Palm Pre.
    The tip is what regulates the current.
    I thought the tip was only for compatibility between the wireless device and the actual iGo charger. Doesn't the iGO charger actually regulate the voltage/current supplied to the wireless device?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I came across this and thought someone may benefit. $10 shipped for an iGo system seems like a great deal. You will need to replace the "Dot com" with ".com" as I cannot yet post links:

amazon DOT COM/iGo-BN00252-0001-Everywhere-Original-Retractable/dp/B001E0XDWM/ref=pd_cp_cps_2
    I thought the tip was only for compatibility between the wireless device and the actual iGo charger. Doesn't the iGO charger actually regulate the voltage/current supplied to the wireless device?
    Look at my previous post with the three different mini-usb tips. All are compatible and physically fit with a mini-usb device. But they each have a different amperage and one varies the voltage by .2v. A29 is for blackberry devices, A32 is for Moto devices and A53 is for HTC devices. There are some electronics (probably resistors) inside the tips.
    I came across this and thought someone may benefit. $10 shipped for an iGo system seems like a great deal. You will need to replace the "Dot com" with ".com" as I cannot yet post links:

amazon DOT COM/iGo-BN00252-0001-Everywhere-Original-Retractable/dp/B001E0XDWM/ref=pd_cp_cps_2
    They also have the charger bundled with different tips. I bought a couple with tip A133 which is for an ipod. I think you save a 2-3 dollars on the tip itself if you buy the bundle.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    bump to get my post count to 10
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast