Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You could probably get everything you need at Radio Shack to make your own generic Touchstone charger....

I love the title of this article: The $70 Palm Pre Touchstone: $5 For the Parts, $65 Is For the Privilege

Gizmodo - The $70 Palm Pre Touchstone: $5 For the Parts, $65 Is For the Privilege - Palm pre
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
    I suspect the base for an inductive toothbrush would probably be more expensive than the touchstone charger, even if it did work (good luck with that).
    They're about $32 + shipping. I'm just glad I didn't kill my Pre on the first day but the engineer in me just wanted to give it a shot.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    i say we donate to someone who could test this out for us. lets all donate a couple of cents to a trustee until he/she has enough to buy a backing for the palm. then the person would use the sonicare or any other kind of inductive charger to try and charge the pre.

if it works, some pre users would save money instead of using it for the stone; all they'd have to do is buy the backing.

requirements of the trustee:
    pre owner
    sonicare owner
    paypal account owner
    I put my sonicare toothbrush on the touchstone, and it made the charge lights flicker, but it doesn't charge.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal65 View Post
    Next, try holding it up to an electrical outlet - see if that works......
    lol
    Without experimenting, how will we learn new things?
    Last edited by sewswedish; 06/27/2009 at 02:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by excpre View Post
    i say we donate to someone who could test this out for us. lets all donate a couple of cents to a trustee until he/she has enough to buy a backing for the palm. then the person would use the sonicare or any other kind of inductive charger to try and charge the pre.

if it works, some pre users would save money instead of using it for the stone; all they'd have to do is buy the backing.

requirements of the trustee:
    pre owner
    sonicare owner
    paypal account owner
    It doesn't work. Even if it did, do you think your toothbrush takes 1A of power to charge? even if it did work it wouldn't be strong enough to charge the Pre in a reasonable amount of time.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Look It all has to do with transformers and Electromagnetic fields, The Field your toothbrush puts out is Far less and the wrong frequency from the Pre touchstone.. Thats like saying all Wall chargers are the same... They all have different transformers in them to produce different Amps and voltages... What powers a Linksys router is not going to power Your cordless phone or charge your Ipod...
    Which is one reason why I wouldn't buy one unless it was dirt cheap. Half the point of induction technology is that it can be universal. There's a reason why they're trying to build induction pads into furniture and other things so you can travel and not have to bring a charger or have the convenience of topping off while out and about. If it's not going to be a universal technology and Palm wants to tweak it and make it proprietary, then no thanks.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Took my Pre with touchstone back cover to my Sonicare base, wobbled it around all over the charger (yes, it was plugged in) and it didn't give me a charge regardless of the angle. I think the distance between the base and the magnet is too far to get the charge.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12