1.    #1  
    Background:
    Despite the fact of being upset that the Touch Stone didn't come with it's own cable, I still bought one. I was talking to a Sprint employee about this and mentioned I would go find some generic USB chords to use because I want more than one (home, office, extra). He mentioned that might not be a good idea as he had "heard" the wattage is distributed differently through the sprint/palm chords and buying a generic cable might fry it.

Could this be true? Anyone hear anything similar to this?
    Not true.

You need to find an AC adapter that will put out a full 1 amp at 5 volts to work with the touchstone. If you connect the AC adapter directly to the Pre then you can go as low as 500mah and it will still work. For some reason the touchstone needs some serious juice before the Pre will recognize it. I think that explains why the back of the Pre gets a little hot, its wasted energy.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Another thing re connecting the adapter to the touchstone - the USB socket on the touchstone is recessed. When I bought the Pre and touchstone the sales rep gave me a Sprint but non Palm AC adapter. That adapter would work to charge the Pre via USB but the plastic cowl around the USB tip was just slightly too large to fit in the touchstone recessed opening. The cord that comes with the Pre has a cowl that is just a skosh smaller. I exchanged it for a Palm version.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I actually sized a generic one down to get it to fit, and it does fit but the dock gives constant charging alerts (it doesn't work properly); it works fine as a data/charging cable when connected to PC and Pre directly. A Samsung branded one they gave me at the store actually works... weird.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Not true.

You need to find an AC adapter that will put out a full 1 amp at 5 volts to work with the touchstone. If you connect the AC adapter directly to the Pre then you can go as low as 500mah and it will still work. For some reason the touchstone needs some serious juice before the Pre will recognize it. I think that explains why the back of the Pre gets a little hot, its wasted energy.
    Touchstone requires a lot of amperage because it isn't directly transferring electricity (i.e. no metal contacts).

As current flows through the touchstone is flows through an coil (inductor). When enough amperage is pushed through the coil a magnetic field is created and then causes the electrons in the coil of the back plate (on the pre) and charges the battery.

Oh, and the heat is caused by high current through a tiny wire, and you are right it is definately wasted energy (but no electronic is perfect).