Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sounds almost certainly like a marginal wall charger... probably can't maintain a proper +5V output with the current needed for charging. Get it replaced...

if you're the adventurous type, you can 1) measure the output of the unit under load, 2) standard USB wall chargers are readily available that should do the job (as proof of point)... I have several lying around... they merely act like a USB port for the purposes of power... make sure to get one that can supply at least 1000ma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    interesting idea but -

1. i live in a modern large city in a new place. i find it hard to believe i have dirty power - enough to throw off the device charging.
    2. i find it hard ti believe i'm the only one on the forum who would be affected by that if it was that sensitive.

i'm stumped.
    I am a Union Electrician out of Chicago. Since it's a power issue, it has my brain clicking. No matter how new your place is, the power out of your outlet is going to vary. If it's greater than 10% it's a real issue.

What really got me thinking it was dirty power was your USB port off your motherboard is going to be very clean power. The power out of a UPS is going to be 110v +-0.5 60 cycles +-0.5

It may be the wall chargers are faulty, or it could be the problem is amplified by the wall chargers.

Look at what Kyoshisan just posted. That points to a power issue with his Inverter causing a charging problem.

Plugging the wall charger into a UPS is just something to try.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

does anyone think i should try the NUCLEAR OPTION - ie FULL ERASE??? and then try the PALM PROFILE BACKUP?

has anyone done this? will it work?????????????????
    This guy did it to fix the "slider crashing" problem:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1646540
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyrocket View Post
    hey guys I had the same problem with my advocate phone and I figured out a fix. I haven't had the problem since. What I did was go to Palm and log into the manage your palm profile and remote erase your phone and then when it completes your phone will power cycle. Log into your palm profile on the Pre and let it load, this should work. I couldn't tell you why this worked, but this is the only thing that did. I'm here if you guys have any questions, I've been using the phone daily for quite some time.
    Also, if your wall charger didn't work with the demo Pre, I would ask them to replace it because it might be flaky. I wouldn't care that it works with another Pre, but not yours or the demo. Two out of three is good enough for me. I hate trying to trace electrical problems because they can be caused by something as simple as a slightly loose wire that causes intermittent problems. Those are the WORST!
  4.    #24  
    just did the FULL ERASE NUKE option. didn't help. i miss my Centro - 'Ole Reliable.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    This guy did it to fix the "slider crashing" problem:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1646540

Also, if your wall charger didn't work with the demo Pre, I would ask them to replace it because it might be flaky. I wouldn't care that it works with another Pre, but not yours or the demo. Two out of three is good enough for me. I hate trying to trace electrical problems because they can be caused by something as simple as a slightly loose wire that causes intermittent problems. Those are the WORST!
    i'm going to call the guy that sold it to me tomorrow and maybe do a complete exchange. i'll be interested to see if by tomorrow morning -

1. my issue doesn't resolve itself.
    2. other people in the forum don't come down with this same "WALL CHARGER FLU".
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I am a Union Electrician out of Chicago. Since it's a power issue, it has my brain clicking. No matter how new your place is, the power out of your outlet is going to vary. If it's greater than 10% it's a real issue.

What really got me thinking it was dirty power was your USB port off your motherboard is going to be very clean power. The power out of a UPS is going to be 110v +-0.5 60 cycles +-0.5

It may be the wall chargers are faulty, or it could be the problem is amplified by the wall chargers.

Look at what Kyoshisan just posted. That points to a power issue with his Inverter causing a charging problem.

Plugging the wall charger into a UPS is just something to try.
    but it worked FINE for 24+ hours.
    sounds like karma from being a dink in the case thread...

j/k

Have you tried using the USB cable with a USB AC adapter? Or tried using a motorola or other micro usb AC adapter? I know I have some of those mini to micro adapters and plan on using some of the many mini usb chargers I have.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    sounds like karma from being a dink in the case thread...

j/k

Have you tried using the USB cable with a USB AC adapter? Or tried using a motorola or other micro usb AC adapter? I know I have some of those mini to micro adapters and plan on using some of the many mini usb chargers I have.
    1. my good karma of this forum should balance out my bad.
    2. i have no other microUSB cables to try.
    3. laugh now but when the angel of fail visits your doorstep you'll regret it.
    but it worked FINE for 24+ hours.
    So did the Martel Intercom system, then it went dead. Then it started working again. The 110v power was only varying 5% at peak, but that was enough to effect it.

At my house, I get 2-3% power variation, but I still have my computer and my widescreen TV plugged into a UPS, just for the extra protection.

10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    So did the Martel Intercom system, then it went dead. Then it started working again. The 110v power was only varying 5% at peak, but that was enough to effect it.

At my house, I get 2-3% power variation, but I still have my computer and my widescreen TV plugged into a UPS, just for the extra protection.
    i find it hard to believe that if this variation theory is true, that i'm the only one out of 2,000+ here affected by it.
    i find it hard to believe that if this variation theory is true, that i'm the only one out of 2,000+ here affected by it.
    I agree it's odd, but the phone is real new. Won't they just give you a new wall charger at Sprint to try?

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    This might be caused by a loose solder connection in the wiring. They are factory stamped. May be from the factory or heat(heat expands the solder) or it's frayed. It's also possible that the charger(even with the bad wiring), could have have worked in the store. Just by moving the wire. Go back to the store and have your phone plugged into the unit. Then move the wire around. Do not give into their egos
    good luck.
    Last edited by The Duck; 06/07/2009 at 06:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12