Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was told by the sprint rep that if i use any other micro usb chargers it will b0rk the phone.

I think this had to be total bs....but i thought id ask here.

So far i dig the phone, i also have been using an iphone for almost a year...but its a cool toy....

Cip
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    People keep talking about these: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...monoprice.html

I bought two cheap cables off of Ebay, $4 a piece. One worked for a while then stopped. The other was DOA. I trashed them.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I bought some cables off of newegg.com. Plus a micro USB car charger designed for a motorola/ BB. They should be here next week. I normally buy from monoprice, but couldn't find the micro usb cables on their site until I saw this thread.
  4.    #4  
    This was a Corp store, a really great rep i have used for 2 years, and he swears they told him in training that any non palm device would be bad for the phone...

sounded like a sales job, i mean whats the point of an industry standard connector if it remains proprietary ?
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Well, There's a flier from Palm thats somewhere on here that stated the same thing. So don't be too sure it's a sales tactic.
    At a Sprint corp store they sold me a Spint (not Palm) mico USB power adapter to use with the second Touchstone. It does charge the Pre when connected to the USB port, but the plastic cowl around the connector is just slightly too large to fit in the slot of the Touchstone. I'll have to exchange it today.

"23 hours in and loving the Pre"
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I completely agree. Problem is I waited so long to get this phone I am now a little too scared to try it. Somebody else let me know how it works!
    I upgraded from a Treo 800w and I used the iGo charger where you just buy new tips for different phones....well the 800w and Pre have the same exact micro USB, and the iGo charger w/800w tip fits perfectly into my new Pre, but it does not charge at all. Palm might be telling the truth
    Current: Pre
    SERO plan 500

Former: 800w, 755p, 700p, 650p
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlisook View Post
    At a Sprint corp store they sold me a Spint (not Palm) mico USB power adapter to use with the second Touchstone. It does charge the Pre when connected to the USB port, but the plastic cowl around the connector is just slightly too large to fit in the slot of the Touchstone. I'll have to exchange it today.

"23 hours in and loving the Pre"
    the exact same happened to me.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I heard this too when I bought my Pre from the corp store. It's all lies. I am successfully using my Treo 800w charger with the Touchstone and without. No problems. Phone charges. I also have a Razr car charger that I used with the 800w and it works fine with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by carysb7478 View Post
    I upgraded from a Treo 800w and I used the iGo charger where you just buy new tips for different phones....well the 800w and Pre have the same exact micro USB, and the iGo charger w/800w tip fits perfectly into my new Pre, but it does not charge at all. Palm might be telling the truth
    Im not sure bout the iGo charger, but I used soe third party car charger where it had a micro-usb adapter on it. Fits perfectly and charges the PRE....but the PRE wont pick up the charge at first. I have to unplug the adapter then re-plug it and it works fine.

I've been charging the PRE with it since leaving the store yesterday morning and it has been working.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    weird... I picked up the Best Buy "house brand" car charger today....worked perfectly. It mentioned specifically that it was for the Palm on the box...

And it was twenty dollars instead of thirty for the palm branded one next to it.....
    It's really hit or miss with chargers and the Pre. The rep at Sprint told me to only use the Palm charger. He through in a car charger that wasn't Palm branded and that worked fine

I have a bunch of iPhone travel chargers (they're ac adapters with a USB input), and the charger that came with my 1st gen iPhone and iPhone 3G's charger and none of them work with the Pre.

My Kindle 2's charger works with Touchstone and also just using the Pre's microUSB cable alone plugged into it to charge the Pre.

Seems like it's hit or miss.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    weird... I picked up the Best Buy "house brand" car charger today....worked perfectly. It mentioned specifically that it was for the Palm on the box...

And it was twenty dollars instead of thirty for the palm branded one next to it.....
    I bought the 'Dynex Car Charger', but was afraid to use it.

But you're saying it works?
    I have a car and home charger for my PALM PRO 850 and im almost certain that the ends are same. I was talked into buying a car charger for this pre [ I WAS TOLD BY THE SALES GUY NOT TO TRY AND USE MY 850 CAR CHARGER AS THIS WOULD DAMAGE MY PHONE] not really sure what to believe at this point. Im going to use my existing car charger and return this new as i do believe there full of st!!! Unless someone here knows for a fact that any other charger will damage the battery on the pre!!!

PALM i500-A900-755P-BB 8330-PALM 850-PRE
    I purchased a Motorola "Fast Rate Car Charger" from Best Buy and it works great!

COPY AND PASTE THESE URL's IF YOU WANNA CHECK'EM OUT:

bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8521708&st=89143n&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186007072924

motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Car-Accessories/Car+Chargers/USA+-+P513+microUSB+Car+Charger+-+89143N_US-EN+-+2

-Geek Squad Agent Mike
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcielo View Post
    I purchased a Motorola "Fast Rate Car Charger" from Best Buy and it works great!

COPY AND PASTE THESE URL's IF YOU WANNA CHECK'EM OUT:

-Geek Squad Agent Mike
    I believe that's the same one that precentral.net has for cheaper than best buy. Go to the "Pre Accessory Store" link at the top of the page. They also have the Touchstone for $20 less than what the Sprint store charges.
    My wife has a Sprint Branded Samsung M320 and it also has a micro-USB port (for those of you who don't know, this is a standard port... our OEM cable comes with one side USB-A Male, one side micro-USB... note that it isn't mini-USB).

The above image shows USB connectors in this order: Micro USB - Mini USB - USB-B - USB-A (Female) - USB-A (Male)

USB ports on computers are supposed to output power at a fixed standard (between certain thresholds) so I believe most chargers which utilize the USB ports in the image above also output between the same thresholds.

Of course, there are certain cheap factories which I'm sure don't exactly match the standard, so this is definitely a case of YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), but if it's a factory OEM charger for another name-brand phone (like Samsung, for example), you're probably in the clear.

We had a Motorola phone at one point (which had a mini-USB port), but Motorola chargers have some extra chip within them that the phone had to sense in order to allow it to charge the Motorola handset. I don't think the Pre or Palms utilize these chips.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I purchased a car charger for the BB Storm at Radio shack. I have the same issue as titansluvpre where it takes a while for it to register that it is charging.

You know what if it bricks it then at least it is still warrantied.

On a side note. I walk into Radio shack and their is a guy that is looking at sprint phones the sales guy tell him that the Pre is a toy and it is all plastic yada yada yada. All I can think of this guy is an idot. I piped up and let him know that my kids carseat is plastic and so is the front barrel cover of my AR-15 and I trust one each with a life in a different way.
    USB has a standard voltage rating on it so as long as you are charging from USB (plugged into a computer) you will have zero problems. The only problem would be charging using a car charger or wall adapter that sent too much power to the pre. I don't know the limit it can take, but I highly doubt there are any out there that would fry it.

My Amazon Kindle has the same connector and came with a similar charging adapter. I bought a couple cables from monoprice for that so now I can use them for the Pre at work or as a spare etc.

I also have a charger I picked up for my ipod from monoprice that you plug USB into and plug into the wall, haven't had any issue with that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast