Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am sure that some third parties will come out with something that is compatible eventually, but for now, I might tread lightly with wall chargers.

That said, I bought this from TC:

http://store.treocentral.com/seidio-.../5A17A4069.htm

I wasn't sure if TC just added "Pre" to the description because it is a micro USB, so I checked Seidio's site and they are "claiming" compatibility:

seidioonline.com

I have always have had great luck with Seidio and view them as fairly reliable...so I am giving it a shot. Of course, it wasn't designed for the Pre...and the USB end looks like it will *not* plug into a TouchStone...and I would bet that Seidio will have a $15 charger out soon enough that will.

Never can have too many chargers
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    So much for standardization. Why use a standardized plug if you're not keeping to the standard? All they did is save some money on the components without benefitting the consumer at all. Pretty shameless.
    I asked this question of someone I met today who works for Palm and the information I got was that the Pre USB charger cables are actually rated to charge higher than the USB standard (800mw vs 500 mw I think) and that the Pre wall charger can recognize the Palm branded cable and pump more power through it to charge the phone faster. For this reason it seems to make sense using the Palm cable only with the wall plug, but I don't know if that has any affect when just charging through a USB port or car charger.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlisook View Post
    At a Sprint corp store they sold me a Spint (not Palm) mico USB power adapter to use with the second Touchstone. It does charge the Pre when connected to the USB port, but the plastic cowl around the connector is just slightly too large to fit in the slot of the Touchstone. I'll have to exchange it today.

"23 hours in and loving the Pre"

I'm trying to find a car charger that fit's the touchstone, find anything like this yet?
    Under the battery in the lower right corner under the FCC symbol is I believe the rated input power - "5V dc / 1A". As long as you ensure that whatever microUSB charger you use outputs 5V and not too much lower than 1A (500mA should be fine), it should work. It would seem microUSB shares the same power rail standards as mini and regular USB (5V; 500mA standard, but power hungry stuff usually goes on up to 1A which is typical).

On a separate note, I have a friend that has an off-brand AC adapter -> microUSB charger for his Samsung Rant. The output voltage is something like 4.6V ~ 9.4V (very weird). You would not want to use this particular charger for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdypre View Post
    I asked this question of someone I met today who works for Palm and the information I got was that the Pre USB charger cables are actually rated to charge higher than the USB standard (800mw vs 500 mw I think) and that the Pre wall charger can recognize the Palm branded cable and pump more power through it to charge the phone faster. For this reason it seems to make sense using the Palm cable only with the wall plug, but I don't know if that has any affect when just charging through a USB port or car charger.
    USB2.0 specifications allow for a max of 500mA power draw. PCs and laptops would only give out that much power. The wall charger I believe gives off 1A if the input power ratings on the Pre are to be an indicator. The person you spoke to was telling the truth to a degree largely to try to convince you into staying with Palm accessories (shocking, I know).

I would need an electrical engineer to confirm this, but I am fairly certain that 5W (5V * 1A) does not need much wire to push, meaning the Palm cable is probably not as "special" as s/he made it out to be. Additionally, a sensor in the cable would be highly unlikely, unorthodox, and probably cost prohibitive. (do these cables cost $30 alone?) It isn't that it hasn't been done before with chargers... Motorola; I'm looking at you.

I for one will be using the wall charger to also charge my iPod Touch, as it seems to be a simple AC-DC converter. I will confirm its output ratings when I get home from work.

Has anyone dissected any of this stuff yet to verify any of these claims?
    PSA:

It appears that a) the palm doesn't charge and sync (there are alternatives for this), b) the car and AC charger should have 5V @ 1000ma or 1amp. Less than 1amp has worked for some, but with varying results.

I agree, for USB charging on computer, any cable that fits should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
    USB2.0 specifications allow for a max of 500mA power draw. PCs and laptops would only give out that much power. The wall charger I believe gives off 1A if the input power ratings on the Pre are to be an indicator. The person you spoke to was telling the truth to a degree largely to try to convince you into staying with Palm accessories (shocking, I know).

I would need an electrical engineer to confirm this, but I am fairly certain that 5W (5V * 1A) does not need much wire to push, meaning the Palm cable is probably not as "special" as s/he made it out to be. Additionally, a sensor in the cable would be highly unlikely, unorthodox, and probably cost prohibitive. (do these cables cost $30 alone?) It isn't that it hasn't been done before with chargers... Motorola; I'm looking at you.

I for one will be using the wall charger to also charge my iPod Touch, as it seems to be a simple AC-DC converter. I will confirm its output ratings when I get home from work.

Has anyone dissected any of this stuff yet to verify any of these claims?
    I'll confirm it for you. I would suggest to avoid damage to the phone, charge only from one of two sources. 5V at either 500ma (computer) or 1A (chargers) I would not suggest using a 750ma charger as the device might attempt to pull more then can be supplied. Has anyone probed to see if the device actually charges at 1A? For things like the Touchstone this is probably more important, as a lot of the power is lost in the inductive charging techniques.

I have read a few posts from people claiming to have problems with inexpensive cables, for this I must remind everyone, you get what you pay for. I would always suggest a quality cable (less likely to reflect damage in the cable itself if it snags, also connectors generally are molded better to the cable causing less headache). I myself will be using only genuine Palm accessories, mainly because they aren't much more then Sprint alternatives and I only take my chance with no-name power supplies in the shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreNomadBrad View Post
    I'll confirm it for you. I would suggest to avoid damage to the phone, charge only from one of two sources. 5V at either 500ma (computer) or 1A (chargers) I would not suggest using a 750ma charger as the device might attempt to pull more then can be supplied. Has anyone probed to see if the device actually charges at 1A? For things like the Touchstone this is probably more important, as a lot of the power is lost in the inductive charging techniques.
    The device determines the actual current draw (not the cable or charger).
    Voltage (5v) is determined by the source (charger). Current (500ma-1A) is determined by the end device (Palm Pre/Touchstone) drawing the power.

If a charger is rated at 5V 500ma, that means it is designed to provide up to 500ma @5V (and typically not more current/amperage for safety reasons). The "and typically not more for safety reasons" is where third party chargers come into question. Some third party charges do not design (electronically) their chargers to control the voltage and amperage in the same manner. This is why you run into compatibility issues

If the Palm Pre requires (ideally) 5v@1A to charge at its designed specifications, using a charger that supplied 5v@750ma (in the same manner) would not harm it. It would simply charge at a slower rate or not charge at all.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I have two microUSB chargers from my previous phone (Sanyo S1), which physically fit into the phone. The official Sanyo one is 5V 800mA and the other one I have is a Motorolla charger that is 5V 550mA. When I plug them in, the phone recognizes both and begins to charge.

I haven't had either plugged in for an extended period of time, so I can't comment on Charging rate, or anything else like that.
    OK folks. Any leads on a wall charger and car charger with female USB rated @ 5V and 1amp? Sounds like that's what we need.
    Two ac adapters (Garmin and moto) with 5v/1amp output do not charge the phone or the touchstone.

But most cables work via usb connected to the phone input.

For the touchstone, only the Palm ac charger seems to work so far.

Seems like everyone is getting very inconsistent results -- this is frustrating.

Is it possible Palm did include some sort of propriety circuitry in the AC charger that is at least partially effective in preventing non-palm AC plugs?
    I must say that the Palm cylindrical charger charges the Pre much faster than a USB port, or even an 850 mA cigarette-to-USB converter. It feels like it charges almost twice as fast.

With GPS on, connection to AIM, gmail instant push, and the phone on, the cigarette lighter adapter barely even charges the Pre, it seems to just keep it at the same percentage.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    My BB charger is rocking and charging as we speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I am sure that some third parties will come out with something that is compatible eventually, but for now, I might tread lightly with wall chargers.

That said, I bought this from TC:

http://store.treocentral.com/seidio-.../5A17A4069.htm

I wasn't sure if TC just added "Pre" to the description because it is a micro USB, so I checked Seidio's site and they are "claiming" compatibility:

seidioonline.com

I have always have had great luck with Seidio and view them as fairly reliable...so I am giving it a shot. Of course, it wasn't designed for the Pre...and the USB end looks like it will *not* plug into a TouchStone...and I would bet that Seidio will have a $15 charger out soon enough that will.

Never can have too many chargers

FYI, I just got my three Seidio AC chargers and 6 Monoprice USB cables today (referenced above).

Seidio Charger - Feels very lightweight. Rated at 5V 1A, which is good, but both the plug and the cord are extremely lightweight. I expected a heavier gauge cord and this may be one of the lightest weight cords that I have ever seen. That said, I plugged in a Pre and it immediately started to charge.

Monoprice usb cables - Heavy gauge, look and feel great, and are 100% compatible.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Monoprice usb cables - Heavy gauge, look and feel great, and are 100% compatible.
    Do these cables work with the Touchstone?
    I just ordered one of these chargers I found posted on dealmac.com, or you can use this direct link. (Search for "CMOTV8XXCC01" on the accstation.com site to do it the hard way.) Enter the code "AC2BB" to get a $2 discount making it $3 and shipped free.

It says it's compatible with the Treo Pro 850 and Treo 800w, as well as multiple Motorolas and other major brand phones, so I think it would work for the Pre as well. I'll report on it once I get to try it out.
    I second the cables from monoprice. I got the 6 footer and it charges the Pre without issue.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    i had a couple retractable usb cables for my old Treo and they were awesome. I'm trying to decide if I wanna get the same type of thing for my Pre off ebay for about 5 bucks, but I'm worried that its gonna mess up the Pre. Any thoughts? Would either work or not, or could potentially short out my phone?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast