View Poll Results: Did you buy a touchstone charger?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, sure did!

93 60.39%
  • No.

61 39.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yes... it is a must have.... the microUSB port cover sucks..
    Maybe you need to add a third choice - "Would have bought, but they were OUT OF STOCK!"
    I bought it purely because it seemed awesome. Once I found out how lame the usb hatch is, I was reassured. It's just really cool, though. That's the main reason I got it.

edit: It's not slow to charge at all. Maybe it's slower than the cable, but I haven't noticed any annoyingly slow charging speeds. Yesterday before I went out I put it on the TS for a little while from a 10% battery and it got me up to 40% in a reasonable amount of time.
    Last edited by jonathan likes the pre; 06/07/2009 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I bought it purely because it seemed awesome. Once I found out how lame the usb hatch is, I was reassured. It's just really cool, though. That's the main reason I got it.

edit: It's not slow to charge at all. Maybe it's slower than the cable, but I haven't noticed any annoyingly slow charging speeds. Yesterday before I went out I put it on the TS for a little while from a 10% battery and it got me up to 40% in a reasonable amount of time.
    But would it have been faster to just plug it in? I'm still wondering if it is worth the purchase.

I'm thinkin about getting the Invisible Shield for the phone too...
    Last edited by andddlay; 06/08/2009 at 10:51 AM.
    wouldn't waste my money even at $50. If it had a separate slot to charge a spare battery, I'd buy it at $50. But not when it's the only function of it. Plus if it's on my nightstand I wouldn't be able to see the screen from bed unless I sat up.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I was going to buy a Touchstone today but was told the 25% Premier coupon does not work on Pre accessories, the computer will not allow it to work. Anyone else have problems using the Premier Coupon?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I got the touchstone when i got the phone too. i really thought it was unnecessary to get it (because of price), but was enticed by the "buy 2 accessories get 20% off" at the store, so i got that and the leather case.

Now that i have it, I think its really worth it, in part due to 20% off, and also because I had a very difficult time trying to pry the USB cover to connect the cable! The first time took me about 5-10 minutes to get off without trying to snap the cover, Engadget broke theirs on the first try!! So all in all, I'd rather just avoid having to try and not break that tiny, flimsy little cover.

But I am thinking of returning the case and grabbing a car charger instead... the case is not very friendly either. looks like ill have to carry the touchstone around with me for a while. *shrug*
    I plan to pick up the double touchstone set advertised on Palm's website on payday - spent way too much on the device itself to consider a touchstone on launch. I'll probably still use the standard charger more often, though. I spent a lot of time on the road, and my prior cell spent a lot of time plugged into my laptop for juice. My Pre will likely receive the same treatment. The extra features that activate when it's sitting on the touchstone will be usefull for home and work, since my Pre is my main telephone.

Also, my first time getting the USB charger port open was a pain, but it does get easier over time. Not exactly the best design, but I'm also confident that it won't just wear out and fall off after awhile. On my Pre, at least, its staying.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I don't really think its a must have. Plus, I think its a bit overpriced (at full retail).

That said, I bought one and I love it. Its so nice to just go home and put it on the charger, without having to fiddle with the USB door or having to fish for the cable that slipped behind the desk again.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    It's not a must have but it is really convenient. The reason I bought mine because of the 20% discount with 2 accessories (at my local store), the poor battery life of the phone, and the poor usb cover. Yes, I realize if the phone were better, I wouldn't need it.

I didn't buy touchstone when I bought the phone. But I had a busy day on sunday with texts and phone calls and emails. Wanting to keep the phone at near full charge (knowing I'd keep getting calls throughout the day) I kept on having to plug in and unplug the phone. Now I just toss it on and off the like picking it up off the table.
    I used my 25% off coupon and got it and love it. I am grabbing another one for my car.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I got 25% off when I bought my Pre and did not have to buy a second accessory. I really like the simplicity of using it.
    I'd probably get one but in a few months when I get my accessory discount and more money! This whole buying Pre business has made me a even poorer college student
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I went to different Sprint store today and bought a Touchstone and used my 25% off Premier discount coupon with no trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    I went to different Sprint store today and bought a Touchstone and used my 25% off Premier discount coupon with no trouble.
    Hey, so did I. I like it!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Sweet - Touchstone + Voyager Pro BT headset = really nice setup on the desktop!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Howdy,

I drove 180 miles on Friday night last to the town with the nearest corporate store. I had done research and realized that my Pre, if I got one, would not have a full battery charge for the long drive home on Saturday. Because of that I brought along an automobile USB adapter, that I had on hand. The specs are 12v to 24v input and 5v at 1.0 amp output. Sounded perfect. I planned to use this with the Touchstone if there was a suitable place in the car for the Touchstone to reside.

I had a good place in line and enjoyed the Krispy Kremes and coffee that the Lubbock, Tx store supplied us with.

As soon as I got the phone I went to the car and hooked everything up. I found a great place for the Touchstone and started home. I didn't know, of course, that the phone indicates it is charging by a tone and some visual cues. I just found that the state of charge was getting lower and lower until I plugged the micro USB cable directly into the phone and found that it charged OK that way.

What? I was supplying the correct voltage and current and the plug fit yet it wasn't working.

When I got home I found everything worked when using the Palm AC adapter plugged into house current.

I ordered the Palm Vehicle Power Charger in the spirit of exploration. It arrived today. Some have reported that the cable supplied with this kit does not fit the Touchstone base and that they got it to work by sanding down the plastic part of the connector. My cable does fit the base (snugly) and the Touchstone actually works perfectly when connected to this cable and this vehicle adapter. Great, but why didn't my original setup work? Don't know. My original adapter was tested and it works and the cable was tested and it works. All I can think of is that a data line is somehow used to signal the Touchstone whether to function or not, as unlikely as this sounds.

Anyway, I am now a happy camper using my Touchstone in the car with the Palm Vehicle Power Charger.
    Last edited by PWguy; 06/09/2009 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
    I don't think it's necessary or really worth the $70.

It is very cool but I was hoping for something I can just set under my night stand and then be able to just set my phone on the nightstand and have it charge. Basically a range of a foot or two.

I mean you already have to set it on the dock, is it really that hard to take the extra 2 seconds to plug it in? Cool nonetheless and if you have the cash to throw around go for it.
    Got my touchstone for $34.99 YAY ME
    I bought it and do not believe it was or ever will be necessary. However, it makes good sense for someone (me) who uses their phone as their alarm clock and wants to charge every night. I also really like the matte back versus the glossy back.
    I like the touchstone. It automatically goes to speakerphone if I call someone, but it doesn't sound tinny like most speakerphones. Plus, I use it like a computer when its connected. I like that. Also, it leaves the USB port open so I can connect my mini USB adapter to it to access doc, spreadsheet, video and graphic files. (Yes, I need to do this as a part of my work.)

Is it entirely necessary? Probably not. But it keeps the phone immediately accessible and charged at the same time. Plus, the whole magetics and charging deal is cool (Okay, I'm a 54 year old kid!) I got a mini solar cel portable array and hook it up to it and its even cooler...(I know, I know: so who cares except phone geeks with nothing better to do, LOL!)

Prosemo.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast