Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Anyone try the Touchstone with the car charger yet? I don't see why it wouldn't work but I haven't tried it yet. Also, I'm not sure if the magnet would be strong enough and I don't really want to chance having my Pre flying around the car just yet. But if it would stay it would sure make it easier to use the Sprint Navigation while driving.
    I'd also like to hear if anyone has tried this yet. Seems like the touchstone would make a perfect car mount/charger.
    Be sure to search guys. Most of the Touchstone threads are in the accessory forum.

Here is mine on the subject...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ption-yet.html
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    now don't get too ghetto now.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Good call, I didn't see that forum. And in case anyone is wondering, the short answer seems to be no, it won't work.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    tried it, doesn't work. Least mine, the usb plug interface from the car charger didn't quite snug up to the touchstone. YMMV
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Try it. The collar on the Sprint charger is too fat. By design?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Try it. The collar on the Sprint charger is too fat. By design?
    Why not just spend 30 bucks on a power inverter??? Plug it in just like you were in the house.
    Yeah, but the Palm car charger is just an adapter for the USB cable that came with the phone (that connects to the Touchstone). That one would at least let you connect it ,but who knows if it'd work.
    Well, as long as you're willing to take a knife to the plastic surrounding the MicroUSB connector on the charger cable, anyway.

Shaving off maybe a millimeter of extraneous plastic will enable it to fit perfectly in the Touchstone, and I verified that it does indeed charge my Pre when connected. This was just a quick "proof-of-concept" test, so I:

** Don't know how charging performance, time, etc. will compare to officially-supported options.

** Take no responsibility for anyone's Pre, Touchstone, car charger cable, lighter socket, electrical system, etc. bursting into flame and killing everyone within a 300-foot radius, or any other Bad Things that might happen if you try this yourself.

Finally, if it's of any additional comfort to anyone, here's one more bit of information: The fine print on the bottom of the Touchstone says, "Input: 5V DC" - no AC required, as was previously speculated here.

--John
    Hm, so like I referred to, if you plan on using the car charger with the Touchstone and haven't bought the car adapter yet, get the one from the Palm website and not the Sprint one. The Palm one is an adapter for the same type of USB cable that comes with the Pre, and so it should fit perfectly.

The Sprint one is entirely different.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Be sure to search guys. Most of the Touchstone threads are in the accessory forum.

Here is mine on the subject...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ption-yet.html
    Thanks for that.

<< moved >>

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...63#post1628563
    Just call me Berd.
    I really hope someone figures out how to get their touchstone to charge in the car because its one of the things i was looking forward to. What is at the other end of the touchstone? Standard usb or is it the same one that connects to the pre?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Kinda funny. I called Palm to inquire about using the Palm Vehicle Power Charger with the Touchstone and he said the cable will fit but they do not recommend it and it is a safety hazard. I asked him to expound on this and he said if in an accident it can become a projectile. I think I'll take my chances since there are no sharp edges.
    Using Palm Pre on Sprint
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    So, how anyone used the car charger and it has fit the touchstone?
    The car charger doesn't fit the Touchstone. You need to shave some of the rubber/plastic off the connector to make it fit.

I already have a USB car charger in my car, but it only supplies .5 amp, and the Touchstone needs 1 amp. I am picking up a 1 amp USB car charger and will report back. I am sure it will work as someone has already tested this.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The car charger doesn't fit the Touchstone. You need to shave some of the rubber/plastic off the connector to make it fit.

I already have a USB car charger in my car, but it only supplies .5 amp, and the Touchstone needs 1 amp. I am picking up a 1 amp USB car charger and will report back. I am sure it will work as someone has already tested this.
    It appears it only requires 0.85A, as it works with Amazon's Kindle 2 charger. I too am waiting for a 1A car charger to see if it'll work. Link. I'll report back if this one works.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    The official Palm charger http://assets2.smartphoneexperts.com...large/4229.jpg works like a charm. Bought mine at best buy but they have them in the Precentral store for less $$$$$.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    The Palm car charger fits into the touchstone without shaving off any plastic??
    And it will charge the phone in the car?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast