Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    So on the treos this was easy. How do you transfer data like a contact between two pres - via bluetooth?
    Pre (as of 1.0.2) doesn't seem to be listening for calendar or other data - just audio stuff. If anyone figures out how to get it to do so, that would be just awesome!

Also note- I haven't figured out how to change the pre's bluetooth name. It just appears to the world as "Unnamed phone." Not that it really matters much if it can't do anything but connect to headsets yet.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Pre (as of 1.0.2) doesn't seem to be listening for calendar or other data - just audio stuff. If anyone figures out how to get it to do so, that would be just awesome!

Also note- I haven't figured out how to change the pre's bluetooth name. It just appears to the world as "Unnamed phone." Not that it really matters much if it can't do anything but connect to headsets yet.
    I can't get my Pre to pair with my Palm Centro, but it paired up with my HTC Sprint Touch Pro. It's pretty bad when a Palm Pre won't pair up with a Palm Centro.

But I can't get the Pre to send data out with bluetooth to the Touch Pro or receive data from the Touch Pro. BT headsets seem to work just fine.

On the second item, go to Device Info and tap the top box to place a cursor in there, and name the Pre.

Mine is named with my name and Pre at the end.......

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Can someone tell me why my palm centro can't pair up with the pre? I cant get the pre to sync with anything. It only seems to be looking for audio devices. I have the 1.0.2 firmware on it.
    I am so disappointed that the Pre doesn't support obex push.

I used to snicker at friends when their Blackberries had to use obex pull when my three year old SE w810i could handle push, and now my Pre has neither! I can't even save files(ringtones, wallpaper etc) from the web or run java apps like my SE could. So disappointing. The Pre makes up for it in other areas, but still, it is hard to take such a step back from the convince of sending photos from my phone to my BT enabled photo frame, sending contacts between my wife's and my phone, sending ringtones from my PC to my phone, copying my contacts to my laptop over BT, sharing photos with friend's phones over BT. I could go on. Palm, Please remedy this as soon as possible.

(submitted the same to Palm)
    Let me get this straight:

After 18 months, with dozens of developers for the Web OS, and the homebrew community, and a wide variety of patches for the Palm Pre family...

Wait for it...

THAT THERE ARE NO PATCHES OR HACKS TO IMPLEMENT OBEX PUSH?

Seriously?

:/
    Quote Originally Posted by lancewright View Post

After 18 months, with dozens of developers for the Web OS, and the homebrew community, and a wide variety of patches for the Palm Pre family...

Wait for it...

Seriously?

Why are you posting in a nearly 2yr old thread? Are you new to WebOS? API's for BT were never released.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lancewright View Post

Wait for it...

Seriously?

Consider this. Nokia has had this function and many more baked into all it's smartphones forever. Does anyone care?...No

You can still send stuff via email or share it via the cloud.

I think HP is sensible in prioritising other functionality. Thats the tactic Apple adopted with the iPhone. Think of the number of man-hours Nokia spent including and testing every bit of functionality ever invented into every handset.
    Not new to WebOS, just frustrated that something like this has yet to be implemented by Palm, or a third party after such a long time.
    "... Think of the number of man-hours Nokia spent including and testing every bit of functionality ever invented into every handset..."

That's why I'm starting to miss my Nokia...Obex, Voice dial, GPS turn-by-turn navigation (free maps), no echo using the headset/handsfree car BT. I like my PP2 a lot, but miss all those "basic" features.
    Its sad when I have to go back to my SGH-a827 to push/recieve files via bluetooth and edit images, and have an alarm system that allows me to choose multiple days per alarm (checkbox, any number/combo I want).

Something is seriously wrong here.
    No one misses BT file transfers more than I, but, sadly, I suspect we'll never see the support we desire. BT is proprietary and any hacked implementation would likely mean abandoning the existing BT stack and the accompanying functionality we do have!

In this day of caustic DRM/RIAA, I suppose HPalms legal staff would permanently nix IBEX for our phones if they could. Actually, it looks like they can. :-(
    ...oops! I meant "OBEX" lol
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by l0c0b0b View Post
    ...oops! I meant "OBEX" lol
    You can edit your own posts, no need for an oops! post since you caught it yourself.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
  15. vpr
    Just got the Veer and my wife and I were trying to figure out how to send her ringtones from her Nokia E75 (very nice phone!) to her new Veer and it wouldn't work. I tried today from my Macbook to the Veer and again it wouldn't allow it, then I ran across this thread.

Add me to the list of disappointed people - Even the basic feature-phones have the ability to send files using BT, isn't the point of a Smartphone is it's ability to do MORE than a feature-phone (thus earning the "Smart" moniker) so why is it that it's not capable of this? That isn't a direct question, because I know the answer...I just don't like it!
  16. vpr
    Did a Palm Chat on my device (HP Veer 4G) today and was told the reason bluetooth transfers weren't allowed was because that is a primary way that viruses enter the device. Although this is a sound argument, I still dislike having a technology that is so convenient crippled - I'd prefer to be given the choice to accept files or not and not have my hand held.

I was told by the representative that she would submit the request as a feature request and gave me a website where I could do the same:

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

I've already gone there and submitted my idea for how it should work, I'd encourage more people to do the same, that way it'll wake HP up to the fact that we want to be able to use Bluetooth to it's full extent on our SMART phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by vpr View Post
    Did a Palm Chat on my device (HP Veer 4G) today and was told the reason bluetooth transfers weren't allowed was because that is a primary way that viruses enter the device. Although this is a sound argument, I still dislike having a technology that is so convenient crippled - I'd prefer to be given the choice to accept files or not and not have my hand held.

I was told by the representative that she would submit the request as a feature request and gave me a website where I could do the same:

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

I've already gone there and submitted my idea for how it should work, I'd encourage more people to do the same, that way it'll wake HP up to the fact that we want to be able to use Bluetooth to it's full extent on our SMART phones.
    Good luck on that submission. I submitted that idea over a 1 1/2 years ago and its still not here.
    how do you set up bluetooth on a palm pre to connect to my laptop thats running vista ive tried and tried its picked my other phones up but will not connect to my bluetooth dongle on my laptop any ideas would be welcolme thank you