Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcrx View Post
    ^ really? nobody has any thoughts on keeping it on the touchstone in regards to battery life?
    This type of battery is supposed to have better life if it is kept "topped off", so the Touchstone is the perfect device in that regard.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I have noticed that it stays at 100%, once charged, just sitting idly on the touchstone, so why bother taking it off? I like the clock feature (especially at night -- makes a nice clock I can see in the dark), and my understanding is Palm recommends we keep the device "topped" off anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfm2485 View Post
    I as well feel ripped off by buying the touchstone and not getting a wall charger and 2nd micro usb cable.
    I gotta say when my Touchstone arrived today and I found out there was no wall power adapter included I was pretty upset. My assumption was I was buying a second charger for my Pre, this just happened to be a Touchstone one. Given all the research I did on reviews I was amazed at myself that I hadn't looked into this closer before I bought it.

I ordered my Touchstone at the Sprint Store on Saturday when I bought my Pre, because even though they were out of stock they guaranteed they would ship them overnight and we'd have them by end of day Tuesday, and amazingly they did! However no one in the store explained it was just the "kit" with the dock and the back case, and no power supply. I'm not even sure the folks in the store understood that.

Looking through all the options on the Palm Store for the Touchstone you'll see there's a bunch of different bundles. I guess I get the why behind that, because some people just want to add the touchstone and use their existing adapter, so why buy that part again? If you've already bought one Touchstone, you don't need the kit with the special back again, so you can buy just the dock itself; etc. If you read through the detail son their store site it is pretty clear, but it seems like its made ordering a Touchstone overly complicated (not to mention expensive). Maybe they should have just shipped the Pre with the inductive back by default, then we wouldn't have had to have all these options.

So for me the solution is I'm taking the Touchstone that came today home with me and using it at the house with the charger that came with the phone. I've ordered the Touchstone Charging Expansion kit for the office, as it comes with a wall power adapter but doesn't include the back (don't need another one of those). I originally wasn't planning on using a Touchstone at home, but it is pretty cool and much quicker/easier than prying open that microUSB door.
    no one else hears the ding ding when the touchstone starts charging the battery?

it pre does get hot.

there should be away to turn off the screen while charging.

it sucks that it cant charge via a pc, but then again if you cant "sync" while on the touchstone.

will any micro usb cable work with the pre to transfer files from the pc?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber View Post
    Touchstone construction worth $5. Selling for $70.....WTF?!?!? And it didn't even come with a second USB and wall plug cable

Palm Pre and Touchstone get torn down gently, beautifully

I feel royally ripped off right now by Palm and Sprint.....
    You probably know somebody taking a pill that costs considerably more than that and costs 100 times less than that to manufacture. As they once said on The West Wing, the second pill costs 2 cents, the first pill costs millions.

If I buy Windows Vista, how much does it cost Microsoft to print an extra DVD? How much did it cost them to develop the first one?

This is a new product that will be dominated by development cost for at least several thousand units. The manufacturing cost of the second unit is hardly relevant and not much more worthy of consideration than the cost of a DVD, the manufacturing cost of a life-saving pill, or the extra fuel consumption from a single 200 pound adult on an airplane that was already going that way anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Although the Pre will stick in many positions and areas, what passes the charge is the two logos touching.
    This may be an ideal position; however, the actual charging mechanism is by induction loop. The new back and the TS both have matched induction coils on them. By oscillating the current to the TS's induction loop, you create a varying electromagnetic field that causes current flow on the receiving loop. The logos on the devices and on the TS are just made of plastic and conduct no electricity.
    Quote Originally Posted by nora View Post
    Is anyone but me concerned about the cover for the USB connector on the phone. My gosh it feels awful flimsy and was a real pain to get open. It's held on by a plastic thread almost.
    yea, I know what you mean. I have to slide the keyboard open to take off the cover since I have almost no nails. I'm glad my touchstone just arrived so I won't have to mess with that as much! If only I could get a vent mount for my car that would work as a touchstone (and still hold the phone steady) then I'd be really happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteMaster0 View Post
    This may be an ideal position; however, the actual charging mechanism is by induction loop. The new back and the TS both have matched induction coils on them. By oscillating the current to the TS's induction loop, you create a varying electromagnetic field that causes current flow on the receiving loop. The logos on the devices and on the TS are just made of plastic and conduct no electricity.
    I dont think he was implying that the logos themselves passed power through some kind of magic.

But they are a useful guide to positioning the Pre correctly on the Touchstone. (Though it is so easy to get it right a child could do it)
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Picked up my Touchstone the other day from the Sprint store. Ever since the new back cover was installed on my phone (he nicely offered to install it for me), the left side of the keyboard is all noisy now when I type I don't understand...the right side is fine. Anyone else have this problem? I even took off the battery door myself and tried a few times re-installing it and the same thing...a noisy keyboard when I type the left-side letters Not happy...it was perfect before.

On a positive note, the touchstone is so cool. I want 3 of them now! How can I justify the cost...that is serious money to spend to charge a phone...but it is so convenient and looks really nice to boot (the micro USB door is such a pain to mess with).
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Can you use only the Touchstone back without getting a TS? I dont like the slippery back on the standard cover, and I'm always afraid the phone is going to slip out of my hands. Plus I have a habit of putting my phone down on not-so-clean desktops and the cover is always filled with fingerprints.

In other words, does the use of the TS back impact anything else?
    Nope. It would work just fine on its own. $20 from Palm.com
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Can you use only the Touchstone back without getting a TS? I dont like the slippery back on the standard cover, and I'm always afraid the phone is going to slip out of my hands. Plus I have a habit of putting my phone down on not-so-clean desktops and the cover is always filled with fingerprints.

You can buy it form palm.com for $20.

Palm Pre™ Back Cover - Palm Accessories

Worth it in my opinion...looks much nicer and is less slippery in the hand.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post

Go for it! As a matter of fact, I wish the entire phone was made out of the same material as the touchstone back cover! You can get just the back cover by itself for like $20.00 from Palm, I think. You don't have to buy the whole kit if you don't want the touchstone (although I love mine!).
    Are other people addicted to Touchstone? I just picked up a 2nd one for work, sigh there goes $60. However, I did manage to get a free usb cable/wall charger from my rep at the Sprint store so the pain isn't as bad as it could be .
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Wow. How did you manage to get that for free! I am dying to get another one, but don't need the extra stupid back and Palm wants almost $80, I think, for the wall charger/touchstone combo.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Is there a way to turn off the light of the phone completely when having it charged in the touchstone. I normally charge it at night and now the light stays on and I have a "night light" in the room :S
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Palm.com that has the back only for 19.99, plus shipping. One thing I noticed is that the snap on covers do not fit this matte black back, but I so do prefer it.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nora View Post
    Wow. How did you manage to get that for free! I am dying to get another one, but don't need the extra stupid back and Palm wants almost $80, I think, for the wall charger/touchstone combo.
    Get the combo from the precentral.net store for $66.40...much cheaper than Palm (plus no tax and minimal shipping charge!).

http://store.precentral.net/palm-tou...5A100A5015.htm

Choose the "buy together" option on right side of the web page. There is a wait though...July.
    There is a spare battery charger made by Amzer and sold by Fommy.com. Use FOMMYCALL10 to get 10% off your order. You can also get the touchstone back straight from palm for $20.
  20. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Question about the touchstone back cover, is it the same material as on the treo 755p's? How much more 'grippable' is it then the regular back cover? I'm thinking about getting one just to have a better grip on the phone.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast