Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    when I place my Pre on the TS, it start to charge the quickly stops then starts then stops, anybody have any ideas?
    Last edited by GXMONT; 06/07/2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the display while it's charging on the Touchstone? Really annoying light while trying to sleep so I had to cover to darken the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by GXMONT View Post
    when I place my Pre on the TS, it start to charge the quickly stops then starts then stops, anybody have any ideas?
    Mine does this too sometimes, I pick it up and hold it for a second then put it straight in the middle and itll work for me. Try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Can anyone find just the replacement matte cover for $20?? Sprint & some online stores were supposed to have it but havent seen anything.

I bought 2 Pres & wanna use a single Touchstone unit for my wife & I, but only one cover comes in the box.
    You can purchase the matte finish cover, the same as the one that comes with the Touchstone, at the Palm Store. It is 19.99.

Here is the link:

Palm Pre™ Back Cover - Palm Accessories
    My place was out of TS yesterday so I'm on the fence (they'll be in Monday, the store rep said).
    The heat issue concerns me a lot. Right now, I have it charging with the usb and it feels normal.
    BTW, don't know if you guys are aware but an easy way to open the usb port clip is to slide out the keyboard and try pushing it out from the bottom of the clip.
    I think I'm going to skip the TS and get an extra usb charger.
    Touchstone construction worth $5. Selling for $70.....WTF?!?!? And it didn't even come with a second USB and wall plug cable

Palm Pre and Touchstone get torn down gently, beautifully

I feel royally ripped off right now by Palm and Sprint.....
    Quote Originally Posted by GXMONT View Post
    Although the Pre will stick in many positions and areas, what passes the charge is the two logos touching. You may be placing it in a position where they are struggling to get things flowing, such as sideways, slanted, or too high or low. If you know the palm logos are matching up then I'd switch your touchstone and back for a new one because I don't have this problem. I only experienced it once when I put it on horizontally and I realized the logos weren't touching.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber View Post
    Touchstone construction worth $5. Selling for $70.....WTF?!?!? And it didn't even come with a second USB and wall plug cable

Palm Pre and Touchstone get torn down gently, beautifully

That is a huge difference! I don't feel ripped off though, it's a luxury accessory and Palm could use the revenue. It's marketing, there's a reason why there's such overpriced vodka or cars, people who want it buy them and it's perceived as something desirable and special, which makes other people strive to pay up to join the club.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nora View Post
    Is anyone but me concerned about the cover for the USB connector on the phone. My gosh it feels awful flimsy and was a real pain to get open. It's held on by a plastic thread almost.
    Yes, I agree - it took me 5 minutes to open the first time becasue I was so afraid to break it. I suspect it will be broken in a month - not engineered very well.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Me too - I didn't realize the charger I bought from Sprint did not have a removable micro USB cable until I took it out of the packaging. I hope they give me a refund....
    Is it just me or can the Touchstone, not be charged by USB input, only by wall outlet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Is it just me or can the Touchstone, not be charged by USB input, only by wall outlet?
    It cannot be charged by USB input from a computer. At least according to the documentation that came with the touchstone.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber View Post

I as well feel ripped off by buying the touchstone and not getting a wall charger and 2nd micro usb cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    2. The back of the phone does get pretty hot, I'm not sure I really like that actually as I'm afraid prolong use may damage the battery
    I had mine docked for only about 20 minutes and back of Pre was pretty hot after removing from Touchstone...any updates on this? I'm afraid to charge on Touchstone overnight. Thx
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    I didn't understand what you meant by "connected cable." The jack that plugs into the Pre is the very same jack that plugs into the TS; you're even expected to use the same cable.

However, I've just determined that the collar around the Sprint car charger is too fat to allow connection with the TS. I wonder if that was intentional or just an oversight.

In any case, I think we can expect some third party to provide an inductive car charger in the future.
    Anyone find a car charger to work with the Pre yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    Anyone find a car charger to work with the Pre yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pckocher View Post
    Me too - I didn't realize the charger I bought from Sprint did not have a removable micro USB cable until I took it out of the packaging. I hope they give me a refund....
    I had some links in here but it's my first post... hopefully it's not hard to figure out.

I bought my Pre at Best Buy, they sold the genuine Palm Accessories.
    Car charger, even comes with a shorter microUSB cable or you could get the cable separately if that's what you're looking for. store.palm.com

The car charger is a 1.0A charger, same as the A/C adapter, so from an electrical perspective the only thing that may cause problems are fluctuations in your vehicles power. Most likely the suggestion not to charge from USB is due to the limitations of a computer's USB port, 500ma. The touchstone requires significantly more power then this in order for the Pre to recieve 500ma. Some of the power will be lost in the transmission (the heat everyone speaks of). If you'd like to learn more look up Inductive Charging at wikipedia.org

preaccessories.com has the Touchstone alone listed at 39.95 but not in stock, yet Palm has it for 49.99 and it's in stock.

I just ordered the dual location Touch Stone kit, when it comes in I'll give it a try and let you all know. I probably won't install the touchstone in the car until that markup falls away and I grab a 3rd, it'd be nice to see a more secure inductive charger for vehicle mounting without cable fuss.
    Last edited by PreNomadBrad; 06/09/2009 at 12:53 AM.
    Do I have this right? We get one USB cable from Palm, that same cable is required for the Touchstone, so if I need to access the USB drive function, I have to unplug the cable from the AC plug and the charger, then replug it into the two USB ports?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    The AC adapter that comes with the Pre puts out 5V at 1.0 amps. USB is limited to 0.5A and a lot of car chargers are also at 0.5A. I suspect that any car charger with a micro plug that will put out a full 1.0A will work just fine with the touchstone.

There is no scientific reason why it would not the wall charger is putting out 5V at 1a so if you feed the TS the same it should work.

On a side not most cheap AC (home) or DC (car) power plugs you can buy which have just a USB connector on them are not putting out 1.0A and that is why they wont work.
    I have a Blackberry MicroUSB charger that fit the Touchstone. However, it wouldn't work. The Pre kept going in and out of charging mode every second or so as if I didn't have it on right. No go on that AC adaptor.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Homie,

When you look at the Blackberry charger what does it say the milliamp output is?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    any concerns leaving the phone on the touchstone after it's already reached 100% charge? my inclination is to take it off once it's charged but it just sits on that base so nicely...you can even open the slide w/o problems.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ^ really? nobody has any thoughts on keeping it on the touchstone in regards to battery life?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast