Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    If you connect the USB cable to a computer while the Pre is on the Touchstone, can you transfer files or Media Sync or does the Pre shut down the USB connection so that it doesn't draw power from both the Touchstone and the USB at once?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Yes, you can. I do it all the time. When you plug in the USB mini into the Pre it asks if you want to media sync, mount as a usb drive, or charge. If you are going to sync with itunes use the media sync option, if you are going to transfer files select usb drive. Voila!

Your pre will continue to charge by touchestone while you are transferring and/or syncing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nora View Post
    Yes, you can. I do it all the time. When you plug in the USB mini into the Pre it asks if you want to media sync, mount as a usb drive, or charge. If you are going to sync with itunes use the media sync option, if you are going to transfer files select usb drive. Voila!

Your pre will continue to charge by touchestone while you are transferring and/or syncing.
    This was taken right out of the manual for the Palm Pre.

"You can also charge your phone battery by connecting your phone to your
    computer using the USB cable. Charging this way takes much longer than
    using the AC charger. Do not, however, connect the PalmŪ TouchstoneTM
    charging dock (sold separately) to your computer."
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    This was taken right out of the manual for the Palm Pre.

"You can also charge your phone battery by connecting your phone to your
    computer using the USB cable. Charging this way takes much longer than
    using the AC charger. Do not, however, connect the PalmŪ TouchstoneTM
    charging dock (sold separately) to your computer."
    Your point? I thought the OP was asking can they have the Pre sitting on the touchstone dock, charging via wall charger through it, and connect a different USB cable to the computer to transfer files while it was charging? At least that's what I thought they were asking, and YES it can be done.

Right now my Pre is charging via Touchstone (connected to wall) and I have a different USB cable attached via the mini port, which I am using to transfer MP3 songs to the Pre on. It is still showing as charging via TS from what I can tell. It is NOT using the electricity from my USB cord to computer, but rather the wall outlet and TS, to charge.
    Sorry, I didn't know that could be done. My mistake. I forgot about the extra port that wasn't being used because of the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Of course, this is assuming the OP has two cables. If they use the USB cable that is attached to the TS, then of course the TS will no longer be charging the phone.
    It also assumes he has a computer and an AC outlet.

i don't think there is a need to use the TS when we plug our pre in as a usb device. last night i was playing around MP3 ringtones and left it in as usb(not the charge only option), batt icon was white, showing 80%, when i was done i unplugged it and the batt icon was green and showed 92%.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by victorbox View Post
    i don't think there is a need to use the TS when we plug our pre in as a usb device. last night i was playing around MP3 ringtones and left it in as usb(not the charge only option), batt icon was white, showing 80%, when i was done i unplugged it and the batt icon was green and showed 92%.
    Interesting and good to know. I will have to try it and see what happens.
    I like to leave mine on the Touchstone when I'm transfering files - its easy to use the keyboard and see the screen as I'm transfering files or playing with Classic. The pre does not seem to get overly warm and suffer from the two simultaneous connections. Picked up the 2nd microUSB cable at Office Depot.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)