Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK folks...I haven't taken the time to review all the threads and see if this has been posted. Two of my friends, one a technician for Sprint, the other Store Sales told me about their weekly meetings today.

Palm reps were there and STRONGLY advised Sprint staff to ensure the new Pre owners only used official chargers from Palm. 3rd party charging solutions WILL, not might, WILL damage the battery.

I don't know how true it is. I don't know if they are simply trying to sell licensed accessories. But, take it with a grain of salt.
    Haha yeah right. The only thing 3rd party chargers (decent ones) will do is damage Sprint's profit margin.

Take it with more then a grain of salt, take it with open eyes and realize that no matter what someones position is they can be as full of **** as the next person.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Haha yeah right. The only thing 3rd party chargers (decent ones) will do is damage Sprint's profit margin.
    That was my thinking as well. But, I'll just use the charger that comes with the phone anyway, and will pick up a car charger while I'm there.
    Any mini USB charger will do the job...I was told this by a Sprint Tech. He told me to save my Treo 800w car charger and travel charger and it will work on the PRE.

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
    OK folks...I haven't taken the time to review all the threads and see if this has been posted. Two of my friends, one a technician for Sprint, the other Store Sales told me about their weekly meetings today.

Palm reps were there and STRONGLY advised Sprint staff to ensure the new Pre owners only used official chargers from Palm. 3rd party charging solutions WILL, not might, WILL damage the battery.

I don't know how true it is. I don't know if they are simply trying to sell licensed accessories. But, take it with a grain of salt.
    There is truth to that only because they can't guarantee the quality of a 3rd party charger. The fact of the matter is that there is nothing special about the chargers. The AC adapter is simply a 5VDC 1000mA power supply with USB output. It might have a limiter to prevent over charging but that would be the only difference. However, if you plug it into your computer, the USB port does NOT have that circuit and would continue to try and charge your phone until the battery explodes so the battery protection is inside the phone, usually integral to the battery itself.

Now, all 5VDC 1000mA power supplies are not all the same. Some provide a "cleaner" DC than others meaning that there is less ripple or AC component in the power. Some cheapo power supplies like most car battery chargers are simply rectified AC, meaning the voltage goes from 0 to a peak voltage with the average or max being the rated voltage.

The only way to tell how clean the power supply is, is to test it with an oscilloscope. I seriously doubt their charger is any different than the Seidio chargers you can buy for half price considering everyone here preaches that brand.

I would avoid the $3 chargers but a $10-$15 is going to be the same probably as the Sprint ones. They mark it up simply to make some money on the phone...

If you have extra iPod chargers or something like that, those will be fine.

Once I get the provided charger, I'm going to test it against cheaper versions including the $2 RAZR2 car charger I got from monoprice.com. I'll report back but it will be a while since I'm out of town for a week...
    I figure with the Touchstone back on phone 30secs in the microwave will do the trick.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I currently have an IC902 (until I get the Pre tomorrow) and it uses a mini USB charger. I have a wall charger and car charger. My g/f has a BB that uses the same kind of charging port.

Her car charger works with my phone no issues and vice versa. Her wall charger however will not, it says incompatible charger. However mine works on hers. This being said I think the current car charger I have will work with the Pre.
    I thught the Pre uses micro usb and doesnt bb use mini usb...so you would have to buy a micro usb.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    I thught the Pre uses micro usb and doesnt bb use mini usb...so you would have to buy a micro usb.
    Can't post a link yet, but looking on Sprints website for the chargers, the connection looks the same to me.
    oh i totally agree i was just looking at that and it does look the same.
    I'm sure if this were true Best Buy wouldn't be selling a Rocketfish (their brand) charger at launch.
    Alright, can anyone update us on the Monoprice $2 car charger (Razr2 car charger) and the compatibility with the Pre? Thanks in advance!
    they are saying that for the same reason they are saying that the centros battery can't be used in the Pre, its the exact same battery and they are just trying to make money
    If Palm is right, it's just CRIMINAL to not provide better disclosure of this risk. They will also get returns and have to replace batteries because they don't want the bad will associated with a customer who used his EXISTING micro USB car charger and killed his phone or battery.

If Palm is wrong, they will be punished in communities like this one.

The honest thing to do is say WHY they think they have the secret-sauce charger. My guess is they have a 5v, 1amp charger that has a circuit that prevents overcharging. That is not the norm for USB chargers, but they're out there. If I'm wrong, I may be one of the angry customers returning my Pre.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Car charger that I bought with my 800w. I did have some problems.

When I plugged the phone in, it would not charge. A restart of the phone fixed got ti to charge.
    It did happen a second time the next day. I stopped using it. I am using the Palm charger. Bought it months ago. No problems.

Maybe there is some truth to it?
    Walmart 800w charger for $14.00 works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The only thing 3rd party chargers (decent ones) will do is damage Sprint's profit margin.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    Can't post a link yet, but looking on Sprints website for the chargers, the connection looks the same to me.
    Blackberries use Mini USB, the Pre uses Micro USB. Micro is smaller than Mini. I came from a Blackberry and can tell you with 100% certainty that the BB cable will not work with the Pre, it won't even fit because they are different.
    So a 5VDC 1000mA wall charger from Radio Shack will work just fine?
    I found an official Sprint car charger for 10.00 with free shipping on ebay, Im not the seller but I just bought one and figured I would pass it along

NEW OEM SAMSUNG SPRINT PALM PRE CELL PHONE CAR CHARGER - eBay (item 140325202637 end time Jul-05-09 09:51:57 PDT)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast