1.    #1  
    I was just in a Sprint store and they had all the Pre accessories out. One of which was the car charger. I checked it out and it appears to have the identical male unit as the car charger for the Palm Treo 800. The Sprint rep told me that were told you cannot use the 800 charger with the Pre even though they look the same.

Does anyone have any info on this?
    I mean, I know what he is saying... But my 800w (and Treo Pro) charged the Pre just fine.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    It's just micro USB. Any micro USB cable should work. And they sell generic USB car adapters that take any USB cable...
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I never had a treo and all the Pre pictures I've seen have the USB plug covered. What is the specific USB type for the Pre because I want to order a car charger from a cheaper online site.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    heh heh, heh heh, he said "male unit", heh heh...

But seriously, we have no way of knowing yet. It wouldn't surprise me if Sprint's just saying this to sell more accessories.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I never had a treo and all the Pre pictures I've seen have the USB plug covered. What is the specific USB type for the Pre because I want to order a car charger from a cheaper online site.
    It's MicroUSB. You can get a MicroUSB cable on eBay for $3 shipped. A car adapter is around $5.

Never waste money on over-priced chargers.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    It's MicroUSB. You can get a MicroUSB cable on eBay for $3 shipped. A car adapter is around $5.

Never waste money on over-priced chargers.
    It's not a USB cable. It plugs right into the device.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I mean, I know what he is saying... But my 800w (and Treo Pro) charged the Pre just fine.
    The chargers look identical. I cannot imagine why they would not work together. How much testing have you done?
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR88 View Post
    wha?
    The chargers look identical. I cannot imagine why they would not work together. How much testing have you done?
    They don't look identical from the 800w to the Pre (the Pre and the Pro cables do).

I haven't taken it to my independent labs to confirm absolute test (/sarcasim), it works fine but don't blame me if you blow up your Pre.
    If it works with the treo pro and 800w charger then it is specifically type micro usb b.
    I just bought two Seidio microUSB car chargers so I fully expect it to work. Seidio need to come out with some Pre-specific batteries, though...of the extended variety (without the bulge please)!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Really? So Palm's been lying to us that it uses MicroUSB... think and learn before you talk!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Really? So Palm's been lying to us that it uses MicroUSB... think and learn before you talk!
    I was not aware that this type of unit was called a micro USB. I simply made a mistake which I am more than happy to acknowledge.

Your rudeness and arrogance though are something I don't tolerate. You need to learn how to be more respectful to people. There are a lot of things that come to my mind when I read a posting by someone like you but I won't say them. I look forward to never meeting you.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    They don't look identical from the 800w to the Pre (the Pre and the Pro cables do).

I haven't taken it to my independent labs to confirm absolute test (/sarcasim), it works fine but don't blame me if you blow up your Pre.
    I could only look at the Pre car charging cable through the packaging. From what I saw they did look identical.

I will probably just get the car charger for my Pre, no sense in destroying it the first week I get it. Thanks for the info.