Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ive been trying to go through the million threads on here and im having trouble figuring out if this question was ever answered...does the touchstone come with its on wall charger? if not will Sprint for sure be selling one? if not then where is the best place to buy another wall charger? oh and can the usb be used with the touchstone or did i read something saying that when the pre is connected to the computer it cant be used?? thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    ive been trying to go through the million threads on here and im having trouble figuring out if this question was ever answered...does the touchstone come with its on wall charger? if not will Sprint for sure be selling one? if not then where is the best place to buy another wall charger? oh and can the usb be used with the touchstone or did i read something saying that when the pre is connected to the computer it cant be used?? thanks in advance!
    does not look like it. According to this video by Bonnie,

and it looks like you use the UBS to plug into the touchstone like the wall charger.
    It does not come with an AC adapter. You will need to buy an additional one.
    Unless you buy a separate AC adapter, you will have to use the cord that it comes with. :/
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Don't buy another USB wall wort from Sprint. See what the rating is on the AC charger they give you, probably ~1000mA at 5V, and just buy a regular USB wall charger and a USB-to-microUSB cord. They're charging over $30 for the AC adapter when you can easily get a generic one with the same rating for $5-$15. What you can't do is plug it into your USB port on a computer because the Max amperage rating is only like 500mA. YOu can pick up 10' USB to micro cords from Monoprice.com for $3. They also sell car chargers for RAZR phones for under $2 which are also micro USB connections...
    Will it work with the CAR CHARGER?
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    oh and can the usb be used with the touchstone or did i read something saying that when the pre is connected to the computer it cant be used?? thanks in advance!
    Dieter states in this unboxing video that the usb cord that came with the Pre (when paired with the TouchStone) only charged the Pre when connected to the wall outlet, and not a PC.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    touchstone in the car would be sweet!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Will it work with the CAR CHARGER?
    Yes, as long as the car charger is rated to the same amperage as the AC adapter so you'll have to check. Though, I don't think the magnet is strong enough to hold the Pre if you hit a bump.
    I'm passing on it brcause of the much slower charge time and additional heat.
  11.    #11  
    i still dont understand why they didnt include another wall charger...so how much will the one at Sprint be? I don't feel like shopping around I just want to get everything at once.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I'm passing on it brcause of the much slower charge time and additional heat.
    i just really want to have it at work because while im in the office i like to listen to pandora and when i go into the field i want to make sure my phone has a full charge or close to it.
    Palm's site says it takes the same time as the wall charger. Could be an "exaggeration." I'm not liking the heat factor, so I may wait for some extended in-the-wild reviews first. I'll have to check the amperage on the DC outlet in the car. Should be better than the PC, but maybe not up to 1A in the wall charger. Is all I need a meter?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Palm's site says it takes the same time as the wall charger. Could be an "exaggeration." I'm not liking the heat factor, so I may wait for some extended in-the-wild reviews first. I'll have to check the amperage on the DC outlet in the car. Should be better than the PC, but maybe not up to 1A in the wall charger. Is all I need a meter?
    No, the meter is only going to tell you the voltage, 12VDC. The car lighter plug can handle 1A at 5V. Check the fuse for the car outlet, it's going to be larger than 1A and that's at 12VDC. What you need to check is what the rating on the car charger itself is. It might limit the output amperage.
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Dieter states in this unboxing video that the usb cord that came with the Pre (when paired with the TouchStone) only charged the Pre when connected to the wall outlet, and not a PC.
    Incorrect. Watch the video showcasing the music application and syncing. It very clearly can charge while plugged into the computer.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Incorrect. Watch the video showcasing the music application and syncing. It very clearly can charge while plugged into the computer.
    I think you missed the "using the Touchstone" part of his post. You can charge with the USB port on the computer but it's going to be about 1/2 the amperage so it's going to take at twice as long. The touchstone needs the higher amperage rating to work...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Just stating that Dieter said the TouchStone would not charge the Pre via PC if you used the USB cord that came with the Pre.
    Maybe Dieter is wrong, heck if I know.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSci625 View Post
    No, the meter is only going to tell you the voltage, 12VDC. The car lighter plug can handle 1A at 5V. Check the fuse for the car outlet, it's going to be larger than 1A and that's at 12VDC. What you need to check is what the rating on the car charger itself is. It might limit the output amperage.
    Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm thinking of getting a 3rd party, 2-port USB charger, so I'll check the amperage on it. Hopefully, someone will know. Better yet, I'll wait for someone to figure this out and post the results.
    it doesnt matter really, you can still use the touchstone and use the usb to microusb, and it will sync up with your computer too
    OK, now you guys have got me confused. Can you charge USING THE TOUCHSTONE regardless of power source? Sure, lower amperage may take more time. That's not the question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast