Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Answered my own question. Seidio has a 1amp car charger in the accessory store. SOLD!!! to the guy with the Touchstone on his dash!!!!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precrack View Post
    it doesnt matter really, you can still use the touchstone and use the usb to microusb, and it will sync up with your computer too
    ...and you base that on nothing and no it will not sync with your computer. The touchstone is a basic induction coil (similar to a transformer) which is only providing a oscillating magnetic field to generate a current on the coil housed in the replacement phone backing. There is NO data connection which would allow you to sync to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    OK, now you guys have got me confused. Can you charge USING THE TOUCHSTONE regardless of power source? Sure, lower amperage may take more time. That's not the question.
    I doubt it, but maybe. It's likely that the touchstone inductive charging is not fantastically efficient (hence the heat issue) and needs that extra amperage to achieve the correct charging voltage on the induction coil on the back of the phone. I would just buy a generic USB adapter...
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Answered my own question. Seidio has a 1amp car charger in the accessory store. SOLD!!! to the guy with the Touchstone on his dash!!!!
    I would verify that the AC adapter is also only 1Amp. It probably is but...Also, I'm not sure the touchstone is going to work well on the dash. The video I saw made it look like it might slide too easily for it to hold the phone in the correct charging position in a moving car.
    If Dieter stated that the Touchstone did not work when connected to a PC, then I doubt that the amperage (current) is the problem. It was stated in another post on the board somewhere (sorry not to give full credit, but I don't want to search all over the place for the original post) that the issue is likely DC vs. AC. Induction charging works using the oscillating waveform of AC (Alternating Current) to do the charging. DC (Direct Current) has a flat waveform with no oscillation from positive to negative. Thus, if this is the case, then the voltage and amperage is not the issue, but the type of power being provided. PC's and car chargers supply DC power while wall chargers can supply either depending on the circuitry in them.

Alternating current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Touchstone is an Accessory for the Pre:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-threads.html

Thanks,
    Berd

<<moved to correct forum>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    If Dieter stated that the Touchstone did not work when connected to a PC, then I doubt that the amperage (current) is the problem. It was stated in another post on the board somewhere (sorry not to give full credit, but I don't want to search all over the place for the original post) that the issue is likely DC vs. AC. Induction charging works using the oscillating waveform of AC (Alternating Current) to do the charging. DC (Direct Current) has a flat waveform with no oscillation from positive to negative. Thus, if this is the case, then the voltage and amperage is not the issue, but the type of power being provided. PC's and car chargers supply DC power while wall chargers can supply either depending on the circuitry in them.

Alternating current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For sure, the touchstone will need to output AC for it to work just as any tranformer. The question is what the input voltage to the Touchstone is. Page 307 of the manual says the output of the AC adapter is 1000mA, 5VDC. The touchstone takes 5VDC and convert it to AC. It would have been very bizarre if they are using the USB cable to deliver 120VAC.

So it's clearly an amperage issue and not a voltage type issue.

All of this voltage interconversion is clearly one of the reasons why the touchstone costs so much. The other is because it's damn cool and people will pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSci625 View Post
    For sure, the touchstone will need to output AC for it to work just as any tranformer. The question is what the input voltage to the Touchstone is. Page 307 of the manual says the output of the AC adapter is 1000mA, 5VDC. The touchstone takes 5VDC and convert it to AC. It would have been very bizarre if they are using the USB cable to deliver 120VAC.

So it's clearly an amperage issue and not a voltage type issue.

All of this voltage interconversion is clearly one of the reasons why the touchstone costs so much. The other is because it's damn cool and people will pay for it.
    I stand corrected. Thanks!
    I think it should work with the 1amp car charger. However, after driving in my car today, I've discovered that ergonomically, there is no good place for the Touchstone. My iGrip Vent Holster will need to do the trick. I just don't want to be fiddling with the "Trap Door" need to charge this thing. I KNOW I'll be the one to break it off.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12